Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2008, 23:30   #16

Thumbs up Congrats!

It is heartening that all sorts of different people arrive at a similar conclusion and share a dream. I am starting out in a much similar position... I need to learn most everything. For now I am reading as much as I can, both on here and in books and magazines (I highly recommend How to Sail Around the World, by Hal Roth). I am currently in Spokane, WA but will be heading to Seattle in the middle of May to house sit for a friend while he and his girlfriend sail up the Inside Passage to Glacier Bay, AK for two months (lucky buggers!). I am shooting for buying a boat no later than Fall '09... but there tend to be some deals around the Seattle area if you keep an eye out--so I might get lucky. Anyway, I arrived at the conclusion that a cruising lifestyle would suit me when I realized that pursuing a career in banking simply wasn't going to work for me. I cannot sit behind a desk. So I started to think about what else I could do and for the longest time I simply drew a blank. I don't want a career, per se. I am a practical guy with practical skills and diverse interests and aptitudes... all things that are wasted in an office. Besides that I started to look at the expense of living on land and how much time and resources it takes to maintain that whole lifestyle. The time, work, and expense on a boat just seems so much more direct. The landlubber thing diverts so much time and work toward someone elses bottom line... unless you own a business, then there simply is no time to call your own. We only live this life once... I just think that experiencing as much of it as we can and feeling fulfilled is a worthy goal. It isn't something we should but off for retirement. I may be young by some people's standards (35), but I still would have loved to have reached these conclusions 10 years ago--you know what they say about hind sight! Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread, Gadagirl. Welcome to the forum and best of luck with the journey.
soy_el_viento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 00:13   #17

Boat: seawind II Patience
Sailaway

Have lived on worked boats all my life.Done some cruising but always like work due to time frame.Now cruisinf full time no long term destinations no rush .Shold have done this yrs, ago.Even if you have a perfectly capable boat can always find reasons to put off.GO FOR IT.Or come on in waters fi9ne.Good luck.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 22:17   #18

Boat: 25' Coronada - Seileaster
Gadagirl:

I faciliate lifeskills and employment skills workshops. I talk about the difference between a dream and a goal. A dream is a fantasy, wishful. A goal is setting out the steps to make your 'dream' a reality. I need to do this, this, that that. Each step a minigoal in itself. You can then mark your progress and congratulate yourself on your accomplishment.

So in order to own a boat you have set a series of steps.
Your steps seem to be reaching the goal of being a competent sailor not ownership. What I would like to see you put down is the plan to purchase. Something like:

I will have a sailboat in 6 months.
In six months I need to do the following:
Decide what do I want in a boat (size, amenities...)
Crew for different boats to get an idea of them.
Look at local boats to assist in making a decision on what I want.
Research on the several boat options I am considerig.
online reviews, talk to other owners
Pick one or 2 for consideration
Research costs and availability of desired boat(1 month).
Create budget for XXX dollars within a time frame (6 months of thinking, researching, deciding-how much can I acquire in 6 months)

Each month I will crew on 3 different boats (total of 21 options! ! !)
I will talk to 5 people a week for their likes/dislikes about their boats (120 opinion)
I will save $1200 a month saving (6 months = 7200 dollars down payment)
1 year at $1200 month 14000
Is this sufficient, can I finance for the boat I want.
What is my 2nd option ( I don't want to finance)
older/smaller boat
will I be happy
Do I need to extend my time table

You get the idea, so I hope to see your goal and plan shortly LOL

So you HAVE addressed one of the obstacles of owning a boat, I need to sail it too, not just look at it: solution, take lessons, get in some practice.

Other obstacles
financing of boat
maintenance costs
moorage costs
insurance costs

YOU have taken the first step in creating a goal, sharing your dream
Our thoughts (dream) become words, our words become action (THE PLAN), our action creates our reality (success=achieving my goal).

CONGRATULATIONS on taking the first steps and putting your dream into action, it has become a goal, no longer a fantasy.
canuck1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 23:19   #19

Boat: Skookum 53'
Congratulations Gadagirl, you are one step closer every day.
Old 15-07-2009, 23:31   #20

judy,

gp for it, i got my 1st sailboat last year, a mac 25, was cheap, and i spent 34 nights on it, and just got it out last week for this year, weather sucked until now up here in nova scotia, is alot of fun, more addicting than nicotine and you meet so many great people, still at the learning stage and having fun all the while, hit the clubs near you and put yourself available as crew and your eagerness to learn, you will be sailing in no time

wade
blue noser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 04:38   #21
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Who dug up a year old thread?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 18:48   #22

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Perhaps this thread was revived because the power of the universe was giving me a little prod and reminder to stay on track. Who knows? I see it as positive. Thank you canuck You give very sound advice.
I’m still working on it. It’s not coming together as quickly as I might hope, but I realize that I am making progress. I’ve been feeling that I’d been at a stand still. After reading your post I can admit that I’ve really made some progress without ever going back and reviewing my goals over the past year. I think I put myself on auto-pilot. I have been subconsciously moving in the correct direction. I have also been consciously working toward my goals. I have learned a lot in the past year. Maybe the lesson is that I should review my goals often and give myself credit for any accomplishments, even if they might seem like just a small little step. I think to review often will keep me more focused and strive a little harder. It’s not lack of motivation, desire, or faith on my part. I will be there. It’s certain in my mind. I have mistakenly failed to take into account some of my life’s other circumstances and responsibilities. I need to add those to the equation and recalculate at this point. It very well might take me a little longer than I’d like.
I’m not complaining though, because these choices involve family, and my family and children are truly a wonderful asset to my life. We are all right now helping one another at discovering and/or attaining our own individual goals. Not one family member, close or extended, has tried to dissuade me from my goals. My co-workers are wonderful and very supportive also. I’m truly grateful for that. I’m sitting on the best spring board a person could wish for.
I promise to pull out the note book and pencil. Read what I’ve written, revise what’s needed and start taking some bigger steps.

Thank again!
Judy
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 18:59   #23

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
we will be here cheering you on.
Thatagirl - Gadagirl
Erika

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler. Henry David Thoreau
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 19:41   #24

Boat: just my arms and legs
Send a message via ICQ to AtomicPhil Send a message via AIM to AtomicPhil Send a message via MSN to AtomicPhil Send a message via Yahoo to AtomicPhil Send a message via Skype™ to AtomicPhil
hey whats up. im new here as well and to sailing. i am planning to get a sail boat hopefully by next year. live in it for a while to learn everything inside out . well good to see another newbie . good luck
AtomicPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 23:13   #25

Boat: 25' Coronada - Seileaster
Judy:

Hey, sounds like you have it figured out. Revisions of plans due to unforseen circumstances. As you stated, you review, re-schedule and keep working towards that goal. Sound like you got it under control. One thing you said that I think is VITAL. Mark the progress, recognize how far you have come, more so than how far you may have to go. Before you know it, because you have focussed on each step of the way, you are almost at your final goal and going "WHAT ALREADY, Where did the time go?"
You cannot fail if you follow your plan and revise as necessary. Any 'obstacles' are merely a learning opportunity.

As a sailor of course you know auto-pilot is great to have, but once in a while, you gotta check everything is going as it should, or you may end up on the rocks, or sailing to hawaii without knowing it (and thats a bad thing?) LOL.

Keep at it and your dream will be floating in front of you before you know it. I started a new job and bought a clunker to get to work (1986 Jetta). One year goal was to buy a newer care in better shape with low milage. One year later I bought a 10 year old car in excellent condition. WOW I never spent so much on a car before and it was worth every penny. I then said I have wanted to sail since I was a kid. Gave myself one year to save and buy something in my price range. One year later, on my birthday I took possession of my boat. Its older but in great condition. Its perfect for my needs now. Its my learning boat. Sure I spend an hour and a half travel time to it BUT, moorage is much less than in the city and when I go there I am in a quiet laid back village, so relaxing even on the days I don't go out. I feel confident soloing around Howe Sound...its perfect and my friends are envious. It ain't no Beneteau 45, just an old Coronado 25. BUT ITS MINE and I reached my goal. Now I am starting on earning my advanced cruising certificate, coastal navigation, celestial navigation and within 5 years getting my much newer 30-35 foot boat. By then I will be ready for semi retirement. Maybe go commercial and take people out for a half day cruise of English Bay (BC). Current rate is $600 for a half day for four people. Hmmm, spend 2 half day a week taking tourists for a spin and pay my moorage and supplement my pension. Sounds doable so I am starting the steps to get there. 5 years ago I was unemployed and unhappy. Decided it was time to change my life and get to where I wanted to be. Went back to college 2X for 2 differnt diplomas, got a great job and immediately started planning the next 5 years. The scary thing....its working. I find it amazing what planning and commitment can accomplish. My story is a great tool for my lifeskills workshops on decision making, goal setting, planning and problem solving. Use it in money management too.

So go for it girl, you're well on your way.

OLD thread revived. Whether we know why or not, there is a reason it happened. There is no such thing as random events, they all have a purpose. If we are lucky we can understand the purpose, otherwise accept it, learn and move forward.
JMHO

Adrian
canuck1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 13:09   #26

Boat: Irwin 65 "Distant Drummer"
The first step is getting the boat, sounds like youre on your way...what area in Virginia are you in...

Capt Raleigh
Distant Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 15:28   #27

There is a lot of helpful info on this site, but take most of what is said as a grain of salt. This site should be called "Armchair Sailor Forum". Most people on here will discourage you from cruising unless you have $$$$$$. This is unfortunate because people have cruised the oceans with next to nothing in monetary form for centuries. People who have time to respond to all these coments are obviously not cruising, or they wouldn't have the time and ability.
I feel bad saying this because I have gained a lot of valuable knowledge/advice here, but have constantly been amazed by the negativity of a vast majority of the members. Without knowing your ability or competence in boating/sailing, no judgement can be made. Your confidence needs to be adequate as well true to your abilities. Sorry to hop on my soapbox for a minute, but it's just that I feel putting too much faith in anything other than yourself (this website or any other) sets you back in reaching your goal...so take what you can from it and add it to your own skills.
jpcraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 18:35   #28

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
The days of cruising on the cheap don't exist anymore.You can't compare sailing in days of old to today.Yes, it is expensive,but so is everything,all depends where you want to focus your energy and finances.If you cut out all the other frivolous expenses and put it towards your sailing budget,it can be done.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 20:29   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
There is a lot of helpful info on this site, but take most of what is said as a grain of salt. This site should be called "Armchair Sailor Forum". Most people on here will discourage you from cruising unless you have $$$$$$.
This is NOT true. I've been here longer than about anybody except Gord (beats me by a few months). You'll cruise like you have lived on land is the best thing to go by. High maintenance folks will require more money, just like on land. If you are happy and can believe it then it just might be true. Everything is expensive if that is what you need. If you live on the water it won't make you something you can not become any more than moving to Hollywood will get you in the movies. If you think your Zip code determines how happy you are then living on the water may not be for you.

You can not cruise around the world on a US dollar and a half. You need a boat that can go the distance. Dumb luck is not anything to bet your life on. It is possible to take off and suddenly find out you are where you belong and the next port won't change that. Should more people think that way thngs might be much better.

CF is about asking questions and getting responses. Sometimes the answers help and sometimes they don't. We gladly refund your admission fee upon request.

Quote:
I feel bad saying this because I have gained a lot of valuable knowledge/advice here, but have constantly been amazed by the negativity of a vast majority of the members
If the vast majority of members were negative why would anyone still be here? I sure as anything wounldn't have been here this long. The Internet goes in any direction equally. Why would anyone even want to come here just to be negative?

Quote:
but it's just that I feel putting too much faith in anything other than yourself (this website or any other) sets you back in reaching your goal...
Sorry, the idea that you can do anything just because you want to is fine for kids in grade school given they can't do anything. To be successful you have to be prepared to win! You need to learn what you don't know, how to do what you can not, and be able to understand that it's still not everything there is. These are skills that come from a full life. Those are things you can get here that can help. CF won't pay the bills or haul you into port. We can help you understand the diference between wanting and doing. Some can never get there.

You don't have to know everything to start anything. We can all be more than we are. It's not an assurance that you will get wher you think you belong.

As far as boating goes you can find a way that maximizes your time and assets that can be fun. Your total purpose in life might not be boating. Some great sailors were more than sailors. It still can be something you like a whole lot. Only you can know that.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 11:28   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
...You'll cruise like you have lived on land is the best thing to go by. High maintenance folks will require more money, just like on land...
... CF is about asking questions and getting responses. Sometimes the answers help and sometimes they don't. We gladly refund your admission fee upon request...
Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
The days of cruising on the cheap don't exist anymore. You can't compare sailing in days of old to today ... If you cut out all the other frivolous expenses and put it towards your sailing budget, it can be done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcraw View Post
There is a lot of helpful info on this site, but take most of what is said as a grain of salt. This site should be called "Armchair Sailor Forum"... People who have time to respond to all these comments are obviously not cruising, or they wouldn't have the time and ability...
... I feel putting too much faith in anything other than yourself (this website or any other) sets you back in reaching your goal...so take what you can from it and add it to your own skills.
The CruisersForum has numerous old salts as contributing members, who have the opportunity & inclination to share a wealth of experience and information, about nearly every aspect of sailing/boating/cruising.
Some, like I, may have swallowed the hook (not currently cruising), and might be disdained as “arm-chair sailors”, by some.
Others may have tremendous applicable knowledge & useful experience, although not yet cruising. For instance, I almost always defer to club racers on performance (sail trim) issues, and sometimes to Engineers & Scientists on their disciplines. These, generally know whereof they speak (in their field of expertise); even if not out there cruising the exotic seas.

I’ve never noted a truly bad recommendation going unchallenged on CF. The depth, breadth, and diversity of our membership always provides a lively debate, on any debatable subject (and even some, that (IMHO) ought not be (debatable).
In the final analysis, we always have to choose our experts, and thus rely on our own judgement, and put our faith in ourselves. The CF discussions offer participants one of the very best forums reading all (many) sides of the issues, and making our own informed & intelligent decisions. Whilst you cannot accept everything you read here “on faith”, I believe you can always finf useful information, insight, and opinions - well worth considering.

While “you can't compare sailing in days of old to today”, neither can you compare much of anything else to yesteryear.

As Paul & highseas suggest; it’s not what you have, it’s what you spend. If you can be happy with an unplugged TV at home for any significant time, you can certainly enjoy life without it afloat. And so it goes ...

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote