Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 10:38   #181

Re: What Do You Do for a Living?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Bic,

Sounds awfully familiar. I redid my undergrad begining at 35 and turned 40 during my first semester of med school. Being older had it's advantages. In med school most of the students thought I was a prof and during residency many in the hostpital thought I was an attending. I was the only HO who got away with wearing an aloha shirt in place of a white coat and tie.
Yes. I thought being older had its advantages as well (except when it came to call and being up for 36+ hrs straight). What was/is your specialty and do you still practice?
“So, if I asked you about art, you'd probably give me the skinny on every art book ever written…But I bet you can't tell me what it smells like in the Sistine Chapel. You've never actually stood there and looked up at that beautiful ceiling.”
Blc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:47   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Assuming one is really good and popular enough to cover the usually obligatory stage and tip out fees demanded by the establishment (so one can get up on stage and perform) and still have enough left over to live on and set aside for savings, taxes, etc.
perhaps in Alaska with toofless fisherman things are different.
In Washington DC, and New York City, and Florida the dancers reputedly make $2,000 to $3,000 per night. (I know when I'm there it happens).
When I worked on Wall St, would go with groups of 8 figure salaried people (I was forced to). They would really splurge on the expense account (not on their dime)....
Not bad cash for the dancers - and no student loans...
I'm sure they pay their fair share of taxes too...
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:26   #183

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Back when I was a student in the western US, girls working the strip clubs were not paid as employees of the club, unlike bartenders and waitresses, bouncers and such. Instead they were considered independent contractors and as such were required by the management to pay house or stage fees for the privilage of dancing on stage and taking their clothes off. Depending on the club, the fee could be 50% of what a girl might make per night, and another 10-20% would have to be paid as tip outs for the DJ's, hostess, and bouncer. If I understand correctly, this was common all across the US, including Florida, so on the whole, even if a stripper managed a gross income of 2 grand a night, the lion's share of what she made went to management. I don't know what the situation is like now, since there has been some litigation in the last couple of years, but being in the profession was not all as rosey as one might think.
Old 01-04-2012, 13:35   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Back when I was a student in the western US, girls working the strip clubs were not paid as employees of the club, unlike bartenders and waitresses, bouncers and such. Instead they were considered independent contractors and as such were required by the management to pay house or stage fees for the privilage of dancing on stage and taking their clothes off. Depending on the club, the fee could be 50% of what a girl might make per night, and another 10-20% would have to be paid as tip outs for the DJ's, hostess, and bouncer. If I understand correctly, this was common all across the US, including Florida, so on the whole, even if a stripper managed a gross income of 2 grand a night, the lion's share of what she made went to management. I don't know what the situation is like now, since there has been some litigation in the last couple of years, but being in the profession was not all as rosey as one might think.
Bartenders are the same - ostensibly no salary - tips only. I could make 400 bucks a night (plus I was the owner)...
SO do you have any student loans?
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 15:41   #185

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Sigh, unfortunately I do have one to pay off.
Old 01-04-2012, 16:10   #186
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat

(and by trickle down economics - strippers).
Then again cruising has elements of escapism. They have no need to escape. And poorer people can't...
...and they already have the right boat outfit, except perhaps for the need for new boat shoes...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 16:48   #187

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 36 - Rapport

My wife and I owned a veterinary hospital for 20 years before we sold out and moved aboard our sailboat and have not looked back. We now use my SS payment to live on.
Old 01-04-2012, 23:06   #188

WOW, this thread really exploded! Glad everyone has enjoyed it and decided to add what they do
xoxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:43   #189

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxxx View Post
WOW, this thread really exploded! Glad everyone has enjoyed it and decided to add what they do
Hey! Welcome back! So what is it you do?
Old 02-04-2012, 10:46   #190

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxxx View Post
Yes, as the OP, your obligated to answer delmarrey, aren't you?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:48   #191

write software
captain jobs
teach sailing
writing a book

ex:

retail in high school
it cable monkey in college
bubblehead in the navy
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:59   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Yes, as the OP, your obligated to answer delmarrey, aren't you?
I am a freshman at a university and also a business owner. AKA I have zero time to do anything..
xoxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:25   #193

Boat: Swan, 1968, 36'

I'm retired USForest Service, Fire Management Wildfire and Prescribed Fire, Silviculturist etc.

I currently work as a retired consultant when needed in developing landscape vegetation, fuels and wild fire suppression modeling methods with the USFS and Joint Fire Science.
I got involved with flying as an air observer looking for fires and while working on a helitack crew.

Boating and sailing are new to me in the last three or four years. After years of being an on land and air adrenaline junkie, I now have time to do some adrenaline sports on the water. Along with an adequate amount of time and money to do it.

Interesting discussion.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:36   #194

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"

Some of you guys have done some very interesting things during your lives! I'm in Outside sales/Business development, and Organizational culture consulting now. Still trying to figure out what the dream job is. The problem is that most of my dreams, don't include a job!

Spencer
Old 02-04-2012, 11:52   #195
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

College professor, currently.

Worked my way through grad school as a scuba instructor.

Taught high school for seven years, as well.