Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 04:25   #1

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Lightbulb What could you do with 200lbs?

I have been thinking about replacing the sole in the boat with nida-core or hexa-core clad in industrial cork or bamboo. The whole thing would be stronger but weigh substantially less. Here is a link to a premade panel if you aren't familiar with this sort of thing. I think with a few other items (table top, chart table and perhaps hatches) I could save about 200lbs in weight.

So that got me thinking of what could then be brought on board if the whole scenario was weight neutral. 200 lbs is about:

25 gallons of water, about the same amount of fuel, enough food for at least two weeks, another battery, over 2.8 million dollars in gold or enough rum to pickle Lord Nelson.

Anybody got any other fun ideas?

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:34   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
My mother in law?

Keep the teak - LOL...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:35   #3
CLOD

Boat: none
could work for the mob and use the space for 1 avg body
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:39   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
My mother in law?

Keep the teak - LOL...
If it was teak... it's plywood .

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:11   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I have been thinking about replacing the sole in the boat with nida-core or hexa-core clad in industrial cork or bamboo.
Aside from the look this seems like the project from hell. First remove all the interior, remove the sole, replace it back and reassmble the boat. Have you reconsidered refinishing? There are a lot of products and this is a job that could done in just a matter of days not weeks.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Aside from the look this seems like the project from hell. First remove all the interior, remove the sole, replace it back and reassmble the boat. Have you reconsidered refinishing? There are a lot of products and this is a job that could done in just a matter of days not weeks.
{Ahem} I think you turned the dial-o-fun the wrong way.

On the other hand, you bring up what I would normally consider a good point. But this is what I'm working with. Mmmm ... teal blue counter top. Oh yeah, that's gotta go too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	galley & dining area.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	6530   Click image for larger version

Name:	fore comanionway.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	6531  

Maren

Old 02-01-2009, 07:04   #7

Boat: 44 footer
Seems like we share the same brainwave...

I think its a cool idea. I am in the process of replacing my stinky water logged 3/4 inch plywood sole.

Thought about doing a fancy cored layup, to experiment with vacuum bagging. The cost decided 1/2 inch plywood and some stringers glassed to the underside would be more suitable. (Grin!)

Good luck, and can't wait to see what you come up with!

Oh... and the extra weight is going toward water tanks. (Grin!)

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:18   #8

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Oh, now from the pictures, that is WAY too easy!
I am in the middle of replacing the sole in our Ingrid 38 right now. I can't post pictures at the moment. but if you can picture black, sopping wet mush in the bilge from what was once 3/4" plywood and berths and seats sloppily cut out with a sawzall, that is where I am at. I think it will gain me the 200 lbs even replacing it with 3/4" plywood. At least what I put back will be dry. What I do put back in is saturates with epoxy also, so it should last a while this time.
Come to think of it, I wonder what I WOULD do with the 200 lbs?

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:40   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
The pictures make it look like a disaster, but it only shows just a part of the boat. If the rest were similar I might be tempted to gut the boat totally or get another boat.

In any case with a large list of things to do I wouldn't treat them one at a time. Without an overall plan for the whole boat the construction totally planned out I wouldn't lift a Sawzall. If there are any plumbing and electrical issues you should do all the destruction items first to be sure you don't cover over things that later make it hard to get at others.

Without a total plan focusing on the sole may be a mistake no matter what you decide on. It just would be better to know you get a whole boat completed by the time you either run out of time or money. Removing the counters and sole leave just the frames and bulkheads. Why would you keep them too?

There is a point on all boat major rehabs where the money is better spent on a different boat. It usually helps if you don't fall in love before you get the plan done and have some costs estimated.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Without a total plan focusing on the sole may be a mistake no matter what you decide on. It just would be better to know you get a whole boat completed by the time you either run out of time or money. Removing the counters and sole leave just the frames and bulkheads. Why would you keep them too?
There is plan; I just decided not to lay it all out. Partly because I didn't think it’s of much interest to others – people tend to be more interested in their own situation than that of others.

But, the main reason (coincidentally, the reason I posted this to the Off Topic Forum) is I’m curious what sort of fun or humorous ideas, if any, people would come up with.

Maren

Old 02-01-2009, 11:14   #11

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Don't know about your sex or orientation but I posed your question to the Admiral and she suggested a male dancer.

Hey, wait a minute...
Old 02-01-2009, 11:32   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Canuck View Post
Don't know about your sex or orientation but I posed your question to the Admiral and she suggested a male dancer.

Hey, wait a minute...

Zomehow I have noticed zat zee answers all involve bodies. Zees is very illumanating... und disturbing.

Maren

Old 02-01-2009, 11:45   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
Zomehow I have noticed zat zee answers all involve bodies. Zees is very illumanating... und disturbing.
I think she meant 190lbs for the dancer with a few liters of baby-oil to bring it up to 200lbs.

Now THAT's disturbing.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:51   #14

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
The funny side:
Another reason I like big boats...it takes 1900 lbs to change the water line level of my boat 1"....200 lbs is a only a weeks supply of beer on my boat...and translates to a change of waterline level of about 3/32 of an inch..

I would have left it and added the beer anyway...

The serious Side:

Your in with both feet now so dosent matter what anyones says about it...Looks like you doing some good prep work..would be a good time to increase limber holes and add conduit runs aniti chafing to wiring runs and plumbing upgrades...or even stiffen up the hull with some added glass and stringers...Id love to lift my sole just for a good cleaning and to know how she is put trogather..You have more guts and energy then I do..

Personally I dont think much of the sole material you picked out but to each his own..that skin looks way to thin to hold up to abuse under way, like pots and pans or can goods droping on it ..etc..etc.

Cant rot though so that is a benifit.

Keep us posted with your progress ..I for one am interested in you thought process.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:19   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
200 lbs is a only a weeks supply of beer on my boat...and translates to a change of waterline level of about 3/32 of an inch..
200lbs of beer computes out to roughly 10 standard cases of 24.

Looking for crew?