Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2010, 08:22   #1

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
The Dream - How Long ?

14 years - 2 years to go

Just curious as to how long people have waited, or will wait, between when they made the decision to pursue a cruising life and when it actually happened (or will happen). When replying, please use the following format so others can quickly scan through replies for the key information: First line - Number of years, months, or days you've been dreaming of doing this and the word "years," "months," or "days" - number of years, months, or days until you go and the word "years," "months," or "days." (If you're already out there doing it, forego the second part.) Then, if you wish, a short paragraph.

Although I've wanted to sail around the world since first reading John Caldwell's Desperate Voyage when I was 12 (in 1975), it wasn't until 1996 that I decided I would, eventually, realize my life-long dream. Unfortunately, that was going to have to wait until my two youngest children graduated from high school (next year). Then, a year to build up a cruising kitty, and I'm gone--summer of 2012. I'm going small and simple, but I'm going!
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 08:45   #2

Jay,

I don't see how you can quantify this question. Your last paragraph alone lists two of the variables that always enter into cruising plans - kids and money.

Here's my brief answer to your question.

People generally build their cruising plans around time and money. When both requirements are met, it's time to cast off. In my case, it took me 13 years from the time I bought my first boat until I was able to move aboard and began full-time cruising.
Alan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 09:13   #3

Boat: Edel 665 23' - Reckless
First line - Dreaming for 14 years, plan to leave in 9 years 3 months.

Waiting for the kids to finish school and using the time to save and gain the experience necessary. More of a personal choice, kids will be done highschool in 5 years, but want to make sure we have a good nest egg established before we go. We could leave sooner, but I have a dollar figure in mind that I will be comfortable with, that is when we will leave.
Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 10:48   #4

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
For us it was a gradual but fast climb..
we're both extremest.. was an ultra-marathon bicyclist and brok both wrists in a bad pileup.. on the way home from the hospital, we stopped and bought a Catalina 22, took it streight to SanFrancisco, out the gate and headed to Montery..
2 months later I ordered a new C22 Mkll with a capri fin keel and a modified C25 rudder..
our first sailboat was purchased in 1998.. sailed open ocean in 1998.. raced open ocean in 1999.. purchased a J24 for racing and a C30 for goofing around the bay..raced the J24 offshore..
in 2002, 4 years after we first sailed, we purchased "R3" our FIRST 42. had it hauled to Coos Bay and took delivery there..
Did a simple refit in electronics and 4 months later hit the open ocean for our first ocean cruise.. and been traveling for 7 years now..
so from the first time we sailed, we were cruising in 4 years full time..
But if you figure time from we first bought the boat to the time we went Open Ocean sailing.. Maybe 4 hours........
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 11:03   #5

Boat: 41' Tartan TOCK
Doin' it NOW

Dreaming of Cruising: Hubby, forever - Me, never
Took hubby 9 years to talk me into "going for it!"
We're doing it NOW rather than later! We talked about waiting until we retired, kids were gone, had more money, etc...

We bought our 35' Cal Cruising in April 2007 and moved on board mid 2008 after selling business first and then house... began cruising Nov 2008. Our son is a freshman this year in HS and daughter is in 4th grade. Why didn't we 'retire' first and wait for our kids to move out? The list of factors are below:
1. Will there be retirement for us? We don't think so... not the way it is today.
2. Both our mothers died before their time... life is short.
3. Education for our kids. This experience is priceless!
4. We are not rich, but we are not in debt.
5. We discussed that planning too far in advance didn't factor in the 'unexpected' that could undoubtedly thwart our future plans. (financial disaster, health, becoming grandparents, aging parents and their needs, etc...)
6. Sailing is physical and being old and sailing can be difficult... although we love it so much that we figure we'll cruise as long as we are physically able.
hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 12:11   #6

Boat: a sailing boat
We decided today and went for it tomorrow. But it was not a decision to cruise or change the lifestyle but to go sailing. Seriously sailing.

If we count from the time a major step was taken (like selling the flat, etc.) then we got the boat in October, sold the flat / stuff in March and went offshore in June - 6 month's time.

If we count from the day I fell in love with sailing - then it took 30 years.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 18:06   #7

Boat: SJ23 1988
4 yr plan, from first sail to on the "Ocean" will be 35 yrs.... Can't wait for retirement to be comfortable... That's what my folks did, they aren't physically able and my grandparents never got the chance to even retire. I'm not taking that chance.

However I'm starting off local PNW style. Then we will see, where she takes me... will it be sun sand and sangria's? Time will tell.
FxdGrMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 18:48   #8

Boat: Brewer 44
Been planning and scheming for about 10-15 years, who can count. Hell, since birth, so 27 years.

Sail off day is first week in January, 2013. I turn 30 December 8th, 2012.

Budgeting a 5 year circumnavigation. But playing the lotto once and a while to make 5 years last forever.

Starting with a year or two in the Caribbean, then jumping to Europe for a year or two....

...and around the earth I go and go and go.

Antarctica, Drake Passage, Patagonia, all very high on my list, but that will be towards the end of the 5 years.

I have a big world map at my dinner table, every night I look closer and closer and small cities and islands I WILL one day visit.

Planning on acquiring my boat beginning of next year, and slowly getting her ready to live on. Then July or so of 2011 live on her full time.
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 12:18   #9

Boat: Brewer 44
bump!
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 22:20   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Dreaming time: All my life.

From setting the GOAL: 12 months exactly.

You will never ever go if its just a dream.

You will only ever go if you have a goal set.

As a 14 year old I dreamed about Suzi Quatro. Thats what dreams are. Reality comes from setting and realising achievable goals.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 22:47   #11

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Dreaming and trying, 13 years. Sidelined by unhealthy baby.
Had a boat but had to sell it.
We'll be outta here in less than a year, probably after hurricane season if we find the right boat soon enough. Going with the 13 year old and probably not enough money. We're all enthusiastic. I might need to work some here & there. Going anyway, it's not like many people are getting rich lately, might as well burn up the down economy years having a spectacular life.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 11:34   #12
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Started dreaming 9 years ago when we bought our first yacht.
Dream turned into plan when we traded up for a bigger yacht 5 years ago.
Rebuild took a year.
Refurb still ongoing (the guy we bought it from did warn me that boats are NEVER finished)!
I finish work next month. He will work one more year while I spend time FINISHING the boat!
Then we go. Inshallah.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 12:00   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
what is a cruising kitty??i do it on my month to month income---lol----is more than do able--just keep it simple..works easiest///goood luck!! some folks i know cruise with kids in school--they home school and all is well--kids are smarter than the institutionally schooled kids...have fun...now, my boat isnt fixed yet but i do cruise other peoples boats .....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 12:04   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
I waited 8 years the first time, then took off for 9 before the kitty jumped ship. I've been working on going again for 10 but can actually see casting off lines in 4 more. I hope to be gone _much_ longer this time.
Old 23-05-2010, 15:06   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Since 1983, had to raise 8 kids first and didn't even sail a sailboat until 5 years ago. I'm thinking I have about 2 years to go.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote