Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2017, 12:04   #46

Re: Surviving World War Three at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana_ct View Post
Oh go on. We could do with a nuclear war to liven things up.��
Old 07-05-2017, 12:32   #47

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

The OP suggests that there would be a period of increasing tensions that would give warning of an impending conflict. Doesn't this rely upon the major powers being led by level headed people with deeply held beliefs and values that would temper impulsive acts. Does anyone think that is the case today in America?

Any Diesel engine made before the 1970s would be mechanically controlled and would be unaffected by EMP. I also doubt very much that lead acid batteries and self-starters would be either. Would the OP be able to outrun any sea pirates in his sailboat if he was chased by an inter island ferry loaded with armed men and powered by a pair of 6-71 diesels?
Old 07-05-2017, 12:34   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
That's where I'd be headed. South!
Is that because refugees are welcome everywhere? Who would want you?
Old 07-05-2017, 12:42   #49
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Food was mentioned as in what to eat but not where to get it. Publix and Whole Foods will have empty shelves.

That's one of your big problems, people will knife you for a loaf of bread.
See Survival Food Handbook, published by International Marine, and don't forget water and cooking fuel.
http://amzn.to/1WdYqbe

http://amzn.to/1WdYqbe
Old 07-05-2017, 12:44   #50
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

On a related note, do you have any recommendations about eating Pacific seafood? I understand the waters are still filled with radioactive waste.
Old 07-05-2017, 13:18   #51

Boat: Presto 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
On a related note, do you have any recommendations about eating Pacific seafood? I understand the waters are still filled with radioactive waste.
Radioactive waste from where?
Old 07-05-2017, 13:23   #52

Boat: O'Day 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Think again. Can you even tell me how many countries the US is bombing at the moment?
Exactly - Zero.

We are engaged in two areas with non-country terrorists - in Iraq/Syria with ISIS and in Afghanistan with the Taliban on a very small scale.
Old 07-05-2017, 13:35   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Wan View Post
Exactly - Zero.

We are engaged in two areas with non-country terrorists - in Iraq/Syria with ISIS and in Afghanistan with the Taliban on a very small scale.
You forgot Libya, Somalia, Pakistan and Yemen. But I am sure that the folks who live there haven't forgotten.......
Old 07-05-2017, 13:37   #54
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
Quite a few, but that's nothing new. At least they aren't mired in a big war like Vietnam or Korea.

My point was that the world is safer today than ever before- not that there is no conflict or violence.

I'll post this link again as it seems to capture my point better than I can state it:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...erous-now-ever
Do you know why World War One was started? If you do, please tell the historians, because they don't know any rational reason for that war, or even how it started. My point is, people can be irrational, and events can spiral out of control. During the Cuban Missile Crisis, President Kennedy was very much affected by that message in the book: The Guns of August. He was afraid World War Three could start due to a mistake or miscalculation. It nearly did. And Kennedy was dealing with a rational leader in the USSR.

An irrational leader in North Korea cannot be expected to behave rationally. Any calculations of world peace you have seen probably don't include the factor of North Korea possessing deliverable nukes, which they are on the verge of having. It's too recent. And if the US responds preemptively, China and Russia are not going to behave well. All it will take is one mistake. Avoiding an out-of-control escalation will require a US Commander-in-Chief that is rational, reflective, knowledgeable, even-tempered, and difficult to provoke........
Old 07-05-2017, 13:38   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
Radioactive waste from where?
Nuke testing?
Old 07-05-2017, 13:39   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Wan View Post
Exactly - Zero.

LOL - US is publicly "bombing" (including hellfire missiles from drones) Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Yemen, Somalia, and Pakistan.

And we really don't know where else the official military, and the Black CIA drone fleet, are undisclosed 'bombing' - it certainly would not surprise me if some of the many spec ops being run currently in Africa had air/drone support.
Old 07-05-2017, 13:52   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
LOL - US is publicly "bombing" (including hellfire missiles from drones) Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Yemen, Somalia, and Pakistan.
No, I didn't "forget anything. A Hellfire missile is not a bomb. You may think it semantics, but it's my line of "business" and words have important meanings and distinctions.
Old 07-05-2017, 14:03   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

^^
Definition: Bomb
noun a container filled with explosive, incendiary material, smoke, gas, or other destructive substance, designed to explode on impact or when detonated by a time mechanism, remote-control device, or lit fuse.

make a Hellfire missile a 'bomb'.

It is a pretty silly argument to make. It does not address Jedi's point at all, and it does not make much difference to those being 'bombed', and I suspect (but can't prove) that in any case US has dropped bombs to your definition in all those places..
Old 07-05-2017, 14:05   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
^^
Definition: Bomb
noun a container filled with explosive, incendiary material, smoke, gas, or other destructive substance, designed to explode on impact or when detonated by a time mechanism, remote-control device, or lit fuse.

make a Hellfire missile a 'bomb'.

It is a pretty silly argument to make. It does not address Jedi's point at all, and it does not make much difference to those being 'bombed'.
OK, you win. Congratulations. I just dropped bombs and fired missiles for several decades - what do I know?
Old 07-05-2017, 14:12   #60
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
And Kennedy was dealing with a rational leader in the USSR.

An irrational leader in North Korea cannot be expected to behave rationally.
It's a great time to point out that Putin is rational. And probably a good time to mention Kim is rational too. As is Trump.

Of all the times when we can say it's 'fine and dandy' is now. In the last month all the world's leading nuclear powers have come together to solve North Korea. Even if Kim lets a nuclear weapon off no one will escalate with nukes.

Russia and US have the same idea with safe zones in Syria and are working together as much as they ever have.

ISIS and the Taliban are very small pickings... The US only has Special Forces deployed not real troops. There's no main force of allies operating anywhere.

Terrorism in Europe is really a police action and will increase for a few years until people get sick of it and it will be stamped out.

So really, my advice is to send back the dehydrated rations and de-bunker the swimming pool. Enjoy life! You're not going to die from nuclear war nor anything exciting. You will die like most others in the Western World: obesity and sugar related diseases.

Mark
Closed Thread