Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2011, 09:46   #16

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
Re: suggested conduct?

There is a spectrum of discussion here, and one can sort of predict how some thread will go. For instance, there is the straight forward question, like

"Does anyone know how much a ton of bricks cost in Nigeria? Please don't suggest I use feathers, my wife is allergic."

The following replies will generally be among the first dozen:

- "I don't know anything about bricks or Nigeria, but don't expect to bring them to Louisiana!"

- "You can't buy bricks in Nigeria."

- "Why don't you just use feathers? Always works for me!"

- "I started using this drug for the allergies, and it seems to work"

_ "I paid $$ for bricks in Bermuda about 10 years ago. Don't know if they cost more now. OH, and BTW, those allergy drugs never work. My dock neighbor knows a guy in the phrama business and .... "

- "What do you have against Louisiana? We used to speak French."

and finally,

- "a link from GordMay with the daily prices of bricks in Nigeria."
Old 28-03-2011, 10:32   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
- "a link from GordMay with the daily prices of bricks in Nigeria."
Priceless...
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 10:48   #18

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Thx, dacust... I agree. CF sets itself apart from other forums where folks with an axe or whatever to grind get carried away. Thanks to our moderators who try and ride herd on all of us to keep it non-political, on point and polite. The ocean draws independent, self reliant folks who do not suffer posturing, pontificating and BS casually. We are all here because of the common bond of the love of cruising and a thirst for shared knowledge we all have .. cheers, CP
I've generally picked up something of use, even some a little off topic, in most of the threads here.

I don't always agree the some of the other posters, or even the mods sometimes, but occaisionally I find gems in the oddest places.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 18:49   #19
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
folks...its a joke, not to be taken seriously...
I took it as a joke. But a joke with an underlying message. Then posted my write-up mainly because I had it. After posting it, I thought maybe I shouldn't have. Too serious. But, there ya are. I did. And I guess it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Interesting write up Dacust. I enjoyed reading it and also gaining a better insight. I believe there is another type as well. Slightly more polished. Where would you put on your list or how would you define a "Controller" One who perhaps may be any combination of your three classifications. But this person feels slightly superior to the person who they are speaking with. He uses your good points to manipulate they way he feels the disscussion should flow and perhaps somewhat patronizes the other person because he is sure he better understands the art of good disscussion. I think just classifiying him sanctimonious, as you warn against in your conclusions, does not quite pin point him. Just trying to be a #1
Hmmm, that's a subtle one. I think it's quite possible for a person trying to be a number one to get that way. I have to try not to myself, and I'm not sure how well I accomplish it. That's the kind of thing I think might be hard to see in myself.

I think I'd put that as a secondary attribute that could be added to any of the three types.

I had one e-mail say I needed another type. The abuser. Someone who argues to cause pain. They said they could see that maybe this was just a very very extreme case of a type 3. I agreed and left it out. I didn't want to get it too complicated. just a short page that most people would easily read to the end.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 07:28   #20

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: suggested conduct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
I took it as a joke. But a joke with an underlying message. ... I had one e-mail say I needed another type. The abuser. Someone who argues to cause pain. They said they could see that maybe this was just a very very extreme case of a type 3. ... -dan
As relates to forum posting, aren't those type 3s called "trolls"? I ask as I'm not sure. I think I've noticed some of this on the forum, particularly in the longer threads.

Post #16 is the best I've read since I joined.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 08:03   #21

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I've only been trolled a couple of time that I noted. (maybe the subtlety was lost on me?). I have a three strike rule. Three obvious trolls and I block you. So far no one on this board has been blocked, but a couple are on strike two.

I don't worry about rudeness as I can always permanently block that poster if it really bothers me. And the mods have been pretty good at keeping thing from getting out of hand. Maybe adding a troll button next to the rep button?
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 08:42   #22

Continuing on my post #16 thoughts. Another typical thread goes like this:

Quote:
That yellow extension cord wire (for attaching to my boat plug) at West marine seems so expensive, and my father has 200' of speaker wire that I was thinking of using instead. I only use the shore power for the TV and aricondictioner. The speaker wire is two in one, and with the color coding, I can know which will be ground, but I will make two runs for the four wires that start at the dock. What do you think?
replies:
- "I don't use shore power (never will), but be sure you know what phase you are on compared to your neighbor. The wrong connection can melt your props."

- " As long as that speaker wire is the correct gauge, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Someone else will probably post a law that says you can't. The damn nanny state gov't will put all of us do-it-ourselvsers out of business."

- "What size speakers are you hooking up? Be sure you know the ohms. I blew some speakers up once before I checked."

- "I sure hope I never share a dock with you! Good luck."

-"Not only would that violate NEC and ABYC codes, but you will probably fry something at some point. I doubt that your marina will let you keep it hooked up."

and finally,

- 2 links posted by GordMay, one to the ABYC standard, and the other to a website that shows how to build your own shore power cord for $9. that complies with ABYC.
Old 29-03-2011, 12:10   #23
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Continuing on my post #16 thoughts. Another typical thread goes like this:

replies:
- "I don't use shore power (never will), but be sure you know what phase you are on compared to your neighbor. The wrong connection can melt your props."

- " As long as that speaker wire is the correct gauge, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Someone else will probably post a law that says you can't. The damn nanny state gov't will put all of us do-it-ourselvsers out of business."

- "What size speakers are you hooking up? Be sure you know the ohms. I blew some speakers up once before I checked."

- "I sure hope I never share a dock with you! Good luck."

-"Not only would that violate NEC and ABYC codes, but you will probably fry something at some point. I doubt that your marina will let you keep it hooked up."

and finally,

- 2 links posted by GordMay, one to the ABYC standard, and the other to a website that shows how to build your own shore power cord for $9. that complies with ABYC.
That post exactly captures one endearing feature of many CF posts. A certain presumption that their is only one possible location in the world. Which in itself is of course a giveaway
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 13:49   #24

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
If we started applying that around here there wouldnh't be much left to read

Seriously though it is a great flowchart and that line "Can you envision anything that will change your mind on this topic?" is beautiful and at the very heart of reasonable discourse.
I very often have to interview scientists about their research. A question I sometimes ask is pretty much a paraphrase of the above: what would make your findings wrong?

One of the great things about science is that most of them have thought about that issue, devised tests to make sure they're not wrong, and have actually carried out the tests.

More of us need to approach reality in the same spirit.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 14:30   #25

Then, there are those mechanical question threads. You know, they start with a reasonable post:

"Two weeks ago, while changing the fluid in my Axiom 7 fantilbloviator, I discovered that the tweeter valve had come loose, and was chafing on the starboard cretuzi ramp. Does anyone know the procedure for re-installing the tweeter valve? Thanks, Bob"

the first dozen replies will include:

-"I don't know anything about cretuzi ramps, but be sure you don't use synthetic oil in your Axiom. The Axioms won't work with those synthetic oils."

-"You don't need the tweeter valve unless you are in Nigeria, so just cut the damn thing off and toss it. Your wife will thank you too."

-"[quoting previous post about Nigeria]. The Axiom 7 will not run without a tweeter valve. You are thinking of the AX 5. = Bob, try squirting some WD40 on the frame and twisting carefully with some tin snips while you hold the blitzen screw tight. Don't over twist, or you will score the noxi-comb and those are hard to find. Was the valve just loose, or completely off? Keep us posted!"

"-[quoting reply 1 above] I have used syn oil in my Axiom for 8 years without a problem. Check your facts."

-"Hey, can anyone tell me how much oil a Yanmar 3HGM holds? Should I use 30W or something else?"

-"Bob here. I tried the tin snip thing, but no luck. If anything, the threads on the tweeter valve now look worse from my attempt. The valve is completely off now. I would call a mechanic, but I'm in the Pacific 5 days sail from the nearest civilization. Any other ideas?"

-"You could try my mechanic in Florida. PM me for his number. He usually comes out in a day or two."

- a link from GordMay to the page in the Axiom 7 owner's manual on troubleshooting tweeter valves.

- "Where in the Pacific? Did you feel the tsunami there?"
Old 29-03-2011, 16:06   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

You left out: you wouldn't have that problem if you owned a mutli

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 16:34   #27

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

You guys kill me.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 22:59   #28

Boat: Ocean Alexander

The best sign of good health is to be able to laught at ourselves - this has been GREAT!! I love you guys
Alaska JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:05   #29

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Suggested Conduct?

I thought that trolls lived under bridges (except for Zeehag, of course) heh-heh...
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:18   #30

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Suggested Conduct?

Have learned lots of new stuff, about which I had been uncertain.

« Mac Sux! | Winlink »