Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2012, 11:44   #1

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Solutrean Hypothesis Redux - Europeans First to Visit North America

The scientific community has been reluctant to challenge the Bering Strait peopling of the Americas, but recent evidence is now irrefutable that Europeans from Ice Age Iberia (Southern France, Spain and Portugal) visited North America's shores thousands of years before the Bering Strait migrations and left lithic artifacts (stone tools) as evidence of their presence. The theory is that the ancient migrants followed the ice sheets from Europe to North America in skin boats and camped along the ice during the journey West. No skeletal remains have been found but acheologists believe that their ancient campsites may well be up to 100 miles offshore which is where much of the archeological digging is being conducted at present. The evidence has been controversial to some since it negates the concept of "Native Americans" being the first people to inhabit America and establishes Europeans as the original Americans. An excellent article follows: archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2012/.../more-on-america-di...
rognvald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 12:03   #2

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Solutrean hypothesis redux:Europeans first to visit North America

Fascinating piece of archeological history if it proven to be true. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 12:10   #3

Boat: OEM, proportional

The Archaeology News Network: America discovered by Stone Age hunters from Europe?

I'd be interested in the details about how they dated this stuff. It won't be popular news in certain circles, either......probably hushed up. Sorry, peer reviewed.
Old 15-08-2012, 13:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
The Archaeology News Network: America discovered by Stone Age hunters from Europe?

I'd be interested in the details about how they dated this stuff. It won't be popular news in certain circles, either......probably hushed up. Sorry, peer reviewed.

Micah, there are numerous methods that are very effective: radio carbon dating, hydratic dating, immigration mass spectometry, stratigraphy, pollen dating and many others. The following article is well written and provides an excellent background in this important archeological science. I would like to add that in the politically correct world in which we live today there is a sad undercurrent to the acquisition of knowledge especially when this new knowledge(science) displaces and/or overthrows long standing traditions ie) the Bering Strait theory. There is significant archeological evidence which proves European Man inhabited North America prior to the Bering Strait Migrations. This does not bode well with native American people but the evidence is overwhelming--Kenniwick Man, Spirit Cave Mummy and Windover Bog Mummy are but a few. The fact that early Europeans crossed the North Atlantic to North America is a stunning feat of discovery. There are many excellent videos available on YouTube as well. Hope this is useful. eNotes - Literature Study Guides, Lesson Plans, and More.ScienceDating Methods
Old 15-08-2012, 13:38   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Solutrean Hypothesis Redux - Europeans First to Visit North America

Quote:
I would like to add that in the politically correct world in which we live today there is a sad undercurrent to the acquisition of knowledge especially when this new knowledge(science) displaces and/or overthrows long standing traditions ie) the Bering Strait theory.
Sounds a lot like the age of the Crusades, doesn't it? Or the age when Columbus "discovered" the Americas.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 13:44   #6

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

+1, Deepfrz... many folks have perished in the name of 'political correctness' and we live with the insane influence of this mystical load of crap!
By the way, I was born on a farm just north of where you are but have transplanted to the US following 40 years in the PNW. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 13:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Sounds a lot like the age of the Crusades, doesn't it? Or the age when Columbus "discovered" the Americas.

Wow, DeepFrz , you're really going to open a can of worms with hard headed people since we all know the Vikings sailed to America 500 years before Columbus and it is also well known, historically, that the Portuguese preceeded Columbus by many years. Why are we still being taught these untruths in our education system today? www.thornr.demon.co.uk/kchrist/portam.html
Old 15-08-2012, 13:56   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Why are we still being taught these untruths in our education system today?
I really don't know...

I'm still wondering about the people who crept in undetected and put the bodies under the stone heads on Easter Island...
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 14:45   #9

There is an outstanding video series of this great migration across the sea called Solutreans: The First Americans. This is highly recommended for the visual artistry, storyline and scientific facts. Solutreans: The first Americans - 1 of 9 - YouTube
Old 15-08-2012, 15:42   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

According to Mitt it was Aliens who first discovered North America. Aliens from planet Zog (the home planet of Cheeses).

Or summit
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 15:48   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
...Why are we still being taught these untruths in our education system today? www.thornr.demon.co.uk/kchrist/portam.html

Because, at least in the US, the education system is more about indoctrination than education.

Just drop in on a school board meeting Texas....it's scary!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 07:36   #12

The dating of stuff is highly suspect; the amount of assumptions made in the method, not to mention an agenda is often behind it, steering the results.

A while back, I read a very interesting book about settlements that failed....Vikings in Greenland, the Easter Island folks, and some tribe out in a dry place in Central America. From what I remember, the basic idea was that their trees died, and then so did the settlements. Have to dig the book out and refresh my memory, and supply the title and author.

Quote:
Why are we still being taught these untruths in our education system today?
To keep the masses ignorant, confused, and compliant...and above all, inactive. Boil the frog slowly, or else he jumps out of the water.
Old 16-08-2012, 12:21   #13

"The dating of stuff is highly suspect; the amount of assumptions made in the method, not to mention an agenda is often behind it, steering the results" --Micah

Micah,
You are certainly entitled to your opinion but if you were knowledgeable in contemporary Acheological discoveries, you would know that the Solutrean Theory is being taught as an ever increasing replacement to the Being Strait migrations in most graduate programs. The only detractors today are outside the scientific community since it questions the validity of Native American Indians as being the true "native Americans." There is also a peverse association with the White Power Movement which is a blatant and shameless distortion and pathetic propaganda. Science will not be silenced by fashion or political correctness. I suggest you watch the excellent five part series by Stanford and Bradley, two leading mainstream archeologists, that delves into this fascinating new discovery. The Solutrean Hypothesis, what the evidence really says Part 1 of 5 - YouTube
Old 16-08-2012, 12:51   #14

Oh, I wasn't poohpoohing the Solutrean Theory, just the wider aspect of measuring the age of stuff....whether by carbon14 or other isotope decay systems. The assumptions being stable rates of decay, arbitrary starting amounts of parent elements, and the whole uniformitarian theory of geological history and long ages.

The first I saw of the Solutrean Theory I thought it would stick in the craw of various interest groups that like to milk the indigenous entitlement industry.....just like the parasites do to the Aborigines in Australia. Or the various racists of many varied groups that will want to reinforce their rotten beliefs that humans come in sub-species of varying quality, identified by skin colour. My view is that a human is a human, regardless of how much melanin they have or whether they have almond eyes or curly hair....although I'll give credence to someone expressing doubt that the modern politician can still be considered homo sapiens. Perhaps a new classification; Homo Despicabilis, Homo Nix Veritas, or Homo Bovinus Excretus.

There is a lot called science these days that is mere religion. Operational science observes a phenomenon, formulates a hypothesis, runs experiments, gathers data, refines a theory, tests it, and if it stands, formulates a law. Religion sets a dogma rooted in philosophy, and interprets, invents or ignores data so as to shore up an ideological position and influence behaviour. Such as claiming a trace gas that plants use for food is dangerous, when water vapour and cosmic radiation combined with solar radiation have a far greater effect on planetary weather that was not long ago far warmer than today. The Polar Bears are more numerous than ever, as are the sea ice, glaciers and lucrative carbon credits.

Now I'll watch the vids you suggested...thank you very much!
Old 16-08-2012, 13:58   #15

I suggest you watch the excellent five part series by Stanford and Bradley, two leading mainstream archeologists, that delves into this fascinating new discovery. The Solutrean Hypothesis, what the evidence really says Part 1 of 5 - YouTube

For clarification and objectivity, the above video is a rebuttal to Stanford and Bradleys research. The previous videos I mentioned lay the foundation. Following is Standford and Bradleys orginal lecture. Ice-Age Discovery of the Americas, Solutrean-Clovis - YouTube Taken as a whole, the picture is quite clear.