Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 02:33   #1
cruiser

Sleep Patterns Prior to Looking at Boats

Has anyone ever noticed that it's extremely hard to sleep through the night when you are looking at boats to buy??

Good lord, I've felt like a kid on Christmas Eve for the past 2 weeks straight.

I'm delerious with exhaustion. Maybe this is how we make mistakes and purchase the wrong boat? ha ha

Unfortunately, the excitement of getting ready to buy boats doesn't feel like the sheer excitement of waiting to open those holiday gifts in the morning.
Instead, it's filled with thoughts of "I need to check this or that", "Can I really afford this?", "Am I doing the right thing?", "what do I need for my delivery?".... and of course the ever sappy... "I miss my wife"

One thing can be said for sure:

It's a very emotional experience.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:01   #2

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Paula and I traveled up and down the east coast , from Maine to North Carolina, looking for our dream boat, it was so exciting, it was like a holiday. So Ironic, we found our boat right next door in RI. It is a big deal, I think it was a bigger deal than my first house.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:44   #3

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
I know the feeling. While I was shopping around I would stupidly look through the listings right before bed. After that I ususally didn't get to sleep until at least 3-4 in the morning, and usually before I had to get up around 5-6.

The nights before I was to actually go make the final payment and buy the boat were horrible as well. I say nights because it was postponed at the last minute two times due to various reasons.

Now that I've got the boat I've just got to deal with the nightmares of it sinking.
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:16   #4

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
I think it was about 3 days ago, while I was deep into the bilge muck, that PJ said "You know, looking for a boat was a lot more fun than actually having one."

Couldn't have said it better myself at that moment....

But then we slip the lines and all is well with the world..... until something else breaks
Old 06-02-2008, 20:10   #5
Kai Nui

Sleeping is over rated. If you just give it up, you don't miss it as much when the projects start. And, as bad as it is when you are searching, it gets even worse once you have the boat, and are either worrying about how to complete the next project, or planning all of the projects at once.
Old 06-02-2008, 20:59   #6
cruiser

Haha... good replies, everyone.

I knew some of you would remember the feeling. I had forgot about it completely since it had been a while.

You know what my mental strategy is?

I just assume every single system and component is garbage and will break on me. If one doesn't, I'm pleasantly suprised!
Old 06-02-2008, 23:15   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
When you see a boat that you like and can aford...

First find your surveyor.

Then when you see a boat that you like and can afford then do the usual.

That is, crawl in, out and all over it. Take photos, make notes, engine numbers etc.

Then walk away.

Have a cup of coffee. Talk it over with your wife. Discuss it with your financial advisor. Check the internet for all the info that you can find.

Work out what the boat is worth to you.

Then, if and only if, it is the buy of the century, make an offer.

Otherwise take a break. Have a holiday. Three weeks.

Then if you still want the boat then make and offer subject to survey, get it surveyed etc.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 00:26   #8
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
I coudn't really decide if I should get another boat (the third / last one) for some months but somehow kept reading all the "boats for sale" and kept looking at the same boat (understanding broker). I had been off the water for some 5 years. Then one Friday night, couldn't sleep due to "boat thoughts", got up about 4.30 in the morning, raided my extensive sailing library, picked a book at random (can't recall the title), read 'til 6.30 am, got to the broker at opening time, slammed down $100, said that's for MY boat, will do the paperwork on Monday, the rest of the weekend was so peaceful for having solved the dilemma.The rest is history...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:37   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui View Post
Sleeping is over rated. If you just give it up, .

Thanks Kai Nui.

I've never met someone who's died from lack of sleep.

Contrary to popular belief of running aground when the first yawn yawns peoples minds can be very sharp when tired. A hell of a lot sharper than some lard ass whos just woken up.

also

The reason why you dont fall asleep when you are excited is because your pussy bit between the ears is working out the details and the pro's and con's. So let it earn its keep.

Why do they say 'Sleep on it'? because its that time of not sleeping And then dreaming about it that solves the questions

Mark - the sleep deprived-

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:10   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Sleep is for wimps, and normal people - not sailors and boat-buyers.
Happy, healthy, well-rested wimps, but wimps nonetheless.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:33   #11

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Not got there yet but not sleeping either. Dose think about our first storm, what will it be really be like, what can go wrong, what unexpected should I expect, what will the forth day be like.
Boat worries. None at all. It's a cat. It's got to be a cat, preferably a Prout.
Gear worries. Compare to how I'll perform there aren't any. Will I shorten sail in good time/too soon/too late. Worse are the marina thoughts. Big cat (well 34ft) and me - in charge. No-one else to blame when I get it wrong and a hundred faces with that 'Shouldn't have done that' expression.
Do I sleep much. Seems like four minutes just before the alarm goes off.
Have I changed my mind. Well, I've considered whether I should but that's as far as its got so far. Reading from here and the guides my freinds and family have bought me for xmas and I know I won't be the worst ever and if I listen well I'll learn faster.
Needing you guys and gals to be honest though!
Old 07-02-2008, 06:17   #12

What kind of boat are you looking for?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:28   #13

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
There's a Prout Event 34 locally that's been turned in by a chap who's reached 76 yrs. He got hit by a force nine on his way up the English Channel. First remark, apparently, was 'Now I know I'm too old for this.'
So it comes with a full set of gear, not all up to date or within it's sell by date but plenty for me to find out what I need before we head for the Med.
If you know 'Catello' please let me know. I'm waiting for the house to sell before I put a deposit down and instruct a good surveyor to do a good survey.
Then I'll be able to sleep nights. Unless I'm on watch of course.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:05   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
What kind of boat are you looking for?
Cheap catamarans that are solidly built. Got one handy?

I'm down in FL right now looking.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:58   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Fast-Comfortable-Cheap ...pick any two.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote