Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-08-2010, 08:12   #931
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Men shouldnt think, they should just obey.
ROFL!! Great one anjou!
Old 08-08-2010, 08:15   #932

Send a message via AIM to iwsteel
Old 08-08-2010, 08:15   #933

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Outclass?

"Men, we are hopelessly outclassed when it comes to having thought through what it means to relate, marry, reproduce, etc.,"

Maybe some, certainly not all. I am 1 of 2 females working directly with 10 men. There is no woman I know that could outclass any of them. And then to think of all things created on earth, art, litterature, philosophy, music, architecture...... I'm pretty sure men have/can think through theese things. I witness this every day.*
Old 08-08-2010, 08:22   #934

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Quote:
Once youve been round the love/relationship loop a few times, life becomes more like a poker game. You dont put all your money down in one go like when you were 17, from now on, your working on a 'See you, then maybe raise you' strategy. Its damage limitation, just incase it goes tits up again, cos the older you get, the less you want to take the pain of another failure.
I agree, no need to rush in. Take your time.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:07   #935

Boat: private yacht always moving
Quote:
You been drinking again Speakeasy?

You know what the Doc said about drink and procrastination, it only leads to thinking, and then the real trouble starts.

Women are like angels,,, when someone breaks off there wings,
They simply continue to fly on a broomstick,,,,,
they are flexible like that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	angel wings.jpeg
Views:	1270
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	18322  
Old 08-08-2010, 09:23   #936

Boat: private yacht always moving
Originally Posted by anjou

You know what the Doc said about drink and procrastination, it only leads to thinking, and then the real trouble starts.

The problem with obeying is that most women use words that men do not understand the meaning of,,, just see the following,,,,,,,

The Real Definition of Words When Used By Women *

1. Fine - I am right. This argument is over. You need to shut up. *
2. That's Okay - One of the most dangerous statements a women can make to a man. "That's okay" means she wants to think hard and long before deciding when and how you'll pay for your mistake. *
3. Nothing - The calm before the storm. This means "Something" and you better be on your toes. Note: Arguments that start with "Nothing" usually end with "Fine" (See #1).
4. Five Minutes - If getting dressed, this means half an hour. (Don't be mad about this. It's the same definition for you when it's your turn to do some chores around the house.)
5. Thanks - A woman is thanking you. Do not question this or faint. Just say, "You're welcome," and let it go. *
6. Loud Sigh - Not actually a word but rather a non-verbal statement often misunderstood by men. It means she thinks you are an idiot and wonders why she is standing here wasting her time arguing with you about "Nothing." (See #3) *
7. Go Ahead - This is a dare, not permission. (Don't Do It!) *
8. Don't worry about it, I got it - The second most dangerous statement a woman can make. It means that a woman has asked a man several times to do something and is now doing it herself. (This will result in you asking at a later date, "What's wrong?" For the woman's response, see #3.)
Old 08-08-2010, 09:48   #937
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
I think i am in real trouble
Old 08-08-2010, 10:07   #938

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Quote:

I can't understand you. Do you have to shout? And close those curtains, would ya love? The light is blinding me.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:10   #939

Quote:
Once youve been round the love/relationship loop a few times, life becomes more like a poker game. You dont put all your money down in one go like when you were 17, from now on, your working on a 'See you, then maybe raise you' strategy. Its damage limitation, just incase it goes tits up again, cos the older you get, the less you want to take the pain of another failure.
You are probably right, and in good company. A couple of my old sigs adresses this issue.

Quote:
Poker is the game closest to the western conception of life, where life and thought are recognized as intimately combined, where free will prevails over philosophies of fate or of chance, where men are considered moral agents and where - at least in the short run - the important thing is not what happens but what people think happens. ~John Luckacs

Whether he likes it or not, a man’s character is stripped at the poker table; if the other players read him better than he does, he has only himself to blame. Unless he is both able and prepared to see himself as others do, flaws and all, he will be a loser in cards, as in life. ~Anthony Holden
Old 08-08-2010, 10:18   #940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
"Men, we are hopelessly outclassed when it comes to having thought through what it means to relate, marry, reproduce, etc.,"

Maybe some, certainly not all. I am 1 of 2 females working directly with 10 men. There is no woman I know that could outclass any of them. And then to think of all things created on earth, art, litterature, philosophy, music, architecture...... I'm pretty sure men have/can think through theese things. I witness this every day.*
Gadagirl, I wasn't being literal but attempting lyrical. In our 20's though, men were clearly way behind on those subjects but with maturity, most manage to catch up and think it through. Often a bit late or after the fact.

As for the cultural product of men through the ages, since women had no rights or overt power, and were considered chattel, they learned to survive in more subtle ways and probably were responsible for half the intellectual production published under their "master's" name.

Lucky you, that you have colleagues to work with that you respect and admire. Most or many don't.

I noted earlier your saying you didn't like shoes. I've never met a woman that didn't positively love shoes.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:20   #941

Great vid! A perfect segue.
Old 08-08-2010, 14:48   #942

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakeasy View Post
Great vid! A perfect segue.
thank you
Old 08-08-2010, 15:01   #943

I know your out there some where

Old 08-08-2010, 17:19   #944

Boat: Tartan 34C
Busy weekend

WOW! I spend a coupla days working on the boat and come back to 3 more pages of BoatMatch.com. I guess my comment, unoriginal as it might be, sorta drew a line on the proverbial sand?

Different people are comfortable with different relationships, but when I see a couple and think "They are meant to be together", I don't see cool, distant connections; I see warm, close connections, commitment, belief, even faith. Now, how can anyone in their right mind stand up and say with a straight face, "OK, I think I've got it this time" against such overwhelming evidence that it will fail? Because we believe in love, that's how. We have to, there is no viable alternative in the long run.

Zeehag wrote: only problem is --if ye dont love like ye never been hurt ye get no where in life--

YEP, that's the deal - in for a penny, in for a pound.

Anjou wrote: Once youve been round the love/relationship loop a few times, life becomes more like a poker game.

OK, let me say it another way.....after you've placed a few bets and lost, the only way to win is bet again - in for a penny.....

Speakeasy wrote: all of us who still have the temerity to dream of a perfect union...........The strategy of how to deal with.........Playing the strengths and weakness of girls, of boys, of men and of women to get what you want............the catachism that teaches the dance steps to both sexes is now lost.

For a minute there I thought if you were one of the hopeful romantics. It isn't a negotiation, a strategy, a deal. It's a profound, cosmic, undeniable synergy, the ultimate power in and of the universe, that is as close to being a god as I will ever be.

The answers, all of them, are inside you. Simple. You have to look inside to see yourself and be honest about what you see. Hard.

Ocean Girl -- Marry me.

John
Old 08-08-2010, 18:14   #945
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Cement View Post
OK, we have the confession in writing! After a short trial, she'll be doin' time on the "Uses Companions" rap.

(Margo - I trust you know I'm kidding.)

Have you ever been in a relationship where they each do what they're good at so that together they can be the best possible couple? Synergy is a beautiful thing.

I am constantly amazed by the number of women who say they are looking for a committed relationship, then in the same breath talk about the limits they will put on their emotional investment. When I ask, "How's that workin' for ya?", the answer is always the same - "still looking."

Love like you've never been hurt.

John
Hi John,

I'm not sure where this response came from - some kinda misunderstanding. I was trying to say. that women who are good to go on their own, are free to look for a "real" relationship. That os not based on the need to be supported or taken care of, but on intimacy, a true meeting of minds and bodies.

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising companion, love, single, soul mate