Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 14-07-2009, 20:09   #46

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
David welcome to the forum!
If you would like, you are welcome to join our singles group. It is a growing group, the members are sailors looking for their "perfect mate". I will send you an invite, please read the intro page, it will give you an idea of what the group is about. You don't have to be a member to view the group page. I hope you find your sailing advice, and sailing mate.
Erika
Old 14-07-2009, 20:15   #47

Send a message via Yahoo to biscuit
Thank you! Forgive me.........somewhat of a computer dumbass here.................but I'm trying to find the "invite".......thought I had already joined your forum? Please advise. Looks like I need more help than sailing!
Old 14-07-2009, 20:23   #48

Sorry, I meant to give the link!!
I did send an invite to you. When you join, there will be a delay in posting due to how the group is set up.

Here is the link
Single Sailors Seeking Soul Mates - Join Now

Erika
Old 13-08-2009, 11:11   #49

Just wanted to let everyone know we are up to 15 - no wait 16 (welcome sgb71!) members in our Single Sailors Seeking Soul Mate group and its not all guys! If anyone has any questions or comments about the group (good only ) feel free to write me.

I like to tell all my members ( and perspective members) to look upon this group like going to a BBQ or social meet. In other words, this is just another way to put yourself out there for you and your soul mate to meet. So don't join this group and then hang out in your bilge all day. Get out there and mingle! you might meet your mate here or he might row up and knock on your boat and offer to fix your autopilot (oops, thats my fantasy) either way, have patience and know that your mate is out there
Erika
Old 14-08-2009, 08:15   #50

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
For men looking for female sailing mates, I would also recommend looking at the website:
Find a Crewâ„¢ Worldwide - The World's largest Online Marine Crew Network and setting the search for female, unpaid, share expenses and any other options you think necessary. This website is primarily for professional crew but also carries significant amounts of females willing and wanting to go sailing and to share expenses. I have a half dozen male friends who were quite successful finding women who want to go sailing and not just find a husband - i.e., the Chinese and mail-order brides are not on the website just women honestly wanting to travel on a boat.
- - Maybe after a year or so the CF version will be the best choice - but needs time to accumulate a significant number of "real" people wanting sailing/cruising as their primary lifestyle.
Old 14-08-2009, 08:47   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I have had a great day of sailing and too much wine so I'm just gonna say it. The sailing community - I mean those of us who really take it out and sail it - are all pretty much loners. We will share our dreams but we won't compromise. Share it with us, join the fun, but don't try to control the broach... Let it happen and recover later...

BTW - I just broke up, again, with my S/O... sorry for the sob stories -At least Relax Lah! is honest and tells me what she needs...
Old 14-08-2009, 21:06   #52

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
From the male perspective, I must agree with Ex-Calif as to being a "loner." There are a hundred reasons why we are out there sailing and some of them revolve around we cannot seem to find a mate who really likes the "gypsy/wandering" lifestyle of being on a boat. I have seen women have "shopping mall" withdrawal fits and leave the boat. Others have refused to give up ten pounds of make-up (grease that cloggs and destroys boat plumbing) and even give up the idea that they must have a half hour or one hour shower every day to "do the hair-do). A male on a boat with a female and no watermaker is doomed. That is some of the the "normal" stuff we face. Of course, there is just plain old "weird" personalities we have that chases off women when we mention sailing off into the sunset. Finding a similarly "weird" female is tough.
I think the problem mainly is because other men have taken all the good women and left none for us "late bloomers" to boating. I know first hand because I have met hundreds of cruising couples with fabulous partners/wives. Women who are able to enjoy and blossom living on a sailboat are unique angels and a very rare breed. Just finding somebody who can put up with and thrive being together with you 24/7/365 is
as rare as hen's teeth. I think it might be "un-American" to stay together that much.
One suggestion for the new effort on CF is to screen the ladies to be sure they have experience living onboard and are not just trying to "get someone and then make them move back to land." At least as far as men looking for full time cruising partners. There are probably more men and women looking to share the thrills of sailing and occasional cruises, but both would prefer to live primarily on land. Maybe separate sections for each category.
Old 14-08-2009, 21:20   #53

Too late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
anjou,
Frankly, I have not met a better group of sailors, ... Also, I think a good way to check character / personality is to search their previous posts.
Here is the link http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/groups/25-single+sailors+seeking+soul+mates.html
..... Cheers,
Erika
You could have trusted me, last week, but now I'll be careful to seem more polished.
Old 14-08-2009, 22:17   #54

The whole reason why I started this group was to have a place for serious sailors looking for a serious relationship. Lot of dating sites out there but there is a niche group of people who are still unrepresented and that is the sailor who wants to sail off into the horizon but also wants to share the adventure with someone they love.

I have seen many a "loners" get swept off their feet and sail off into the sunset. I know I may be beating a dead horse when I say this but *my mom was alone for many years and she was swept off her feet by my dad (stepdad). I have a best friend that was swept off her feet, I see it all around me! Some of you loners will be swept off your feet (you can run but you can't hide ).

I believe there are mates for every one of us, we just have to find them or be patient to be found.

Also, it is okay if a soul mate is not your shtick, 1 is a whole number

Sorry if I sound preachy! And george, you are already polished - a true gentleman. excalif, sorry to hear, hang in there
now I definitely sound preachy.

Cheers and here is the link Single Sailors Seeking Soul Mates

Erika

Love is an exploding cigar we willingly smoke. Lynda Barry
Old 15-08-2009, 00:16   #55

Keep out of them deserts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
The whole reason why I started this group was to have a place for serious sailors... who wants to sail off into the horizon but also wants to share the adventure with someone they love.

... now I definitely sound preachy. Cheers and here is the link Single Sailors Seeking Soul Mates

Erika

Love is an exploding cigar we willingly smoke. Lynda Barry
That's why those people keep blowing themselves up ~~ its frustration!

I'm not sure if I'm single, properly, yet. But am sure of being a sailor; just old enough to have learned a few compromises that work some of the time.
Old 15-08-2009, 00:46   #56

SEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSovereign View Post
Now hold on there, I want to have the "bad boy" image

Getting back to maxing this new forum's effectiveness... how you can increase the likelihood of when someone does a Google search containing certain words, a link appears in the subsequent Google findings. I know it has something to do with "key words"...!
I think you are talking about search engine optimising for Cruising Forums — or for Mate Group ? Yep: the home page or somewhere could do with text and tags that reflect what people doing searches, for kind hearted folks like us, are typing into Google boxes. Most people don't actually know what they are thinking about or looking for, so Google tries to measure as much of that as it can and compensate.

If you go to a yacht club looking for a matey kind of crew, perhaps you know what words to use: not too direct, always. Depending ~

What do you think will happen Googling ? As we keep chatting away, Google will learn some of the language and reward the searchers.

5 years ago I could not find any Mac navigation software for marine use: only for navigating the folders on my HDD...! Hell ! The solution was to relax and wait for inspiration — search for "mac gps" which found chart plotting software quickly.
Old 15-08-2009, 03:34   #57

Boat: Boatless
Ocean Girl I think this is a great innovation.

My wife and I met online by puttting 'sailing' into a search engne and we are on our second boat and 6 months into our circumnavigation. The most wonderful part of the experience is how her son and I have 'bonded' through sailing, he and his wife are circumnavigating, and how my kids and grandkids love to sail with Nell, they will be in the Grenadines with us in Novemeber. We plan to sail to Europe in two years time so that our UK Grandkids can get more time with us in the Med.

There are lots of sailors that need a forum to meet... Well done all involved in the new group.

Phil & Nell
Old 15-08-2009, 04:27   #58

I tried to find a female to sail off with about 18 yrs ago placing an ad in Cruising World and on some bulletin boards in the neighborhood. I got only a very few bites and met one gal and it was a disaster - ie no chemistry at all.

But that was before the net and being able to so freely exchange content, as in a picture is worth a thousand words or something like that. Letters and faxes and a few phone conversations didn't reveal what was needed back then.

I think we may be better suited to get this right these days. I am out of the game but good luck to the others!
Old 15-08-2009, 06:41   #59

Phil and Nell,
Thanks for sharing your story, I see a beautiful love story everyday in my parents and my friends around me.

Defjef, 18 years hmmmmm thats around the time my mom put her ad in Cruising World and landed my dad . Now her daughter has started a single sailors group funny how these things happen.

George, I do not want the big WWB to find our little group, just a more visible spot on this forum -I like it to be a CF singles sailors seeking soul mates group - quality rather than quantity.

Cheers,and here is the link Single Sailors Seeking Soul Mates
Erika

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. Anais Nin
Old 15-08-2009, 06:56   #60

Well, we probably need to learn how to search engine optimise for work: then break those rules to keep our privacy here. Either way is not that difficult.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising companion, love, single, soul mate