Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 16-08-2009, 13:37   #76

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
George,
Seeing as I am about as computer illiterate as you can get, you could be our visibiltiy liaison and optimize ways we can be seen by the cruisers forum crowd. Many suggestion have been made on this thread and pm'd to me, but frankly half the stuff I don't even understand - my eyes tend to glaze over when ya talk about web stuff. Feel free to talk to some of the mods, they are very helpful and have been a great resource for the group, I know they are always looking at ways to improve this forum.
Cheers and thanks so much for the offer to help!
Erika
Old 16-08-2009, 13:40   #77

Location: Working on the new boat getting ready for first shake down cruise. Currently on the east coast of the US.
Boat: Peterson 44.
Erika you are one very clever lady. This is a great idea.

I too was a nurse and I met my partner Ray on an internet dating site 8 years ago. It just so happens that we both came to boating very late in life and fell in love with it together so I count myself extremely lucky. The internet is a wonderful way for people to meet and lets face it when your 37 (as I was) where do you go to meet people? Bars? Pubs? Clubs? Nope not my scene so the internet was the best option.

I am very happy living onboard and getting our boat ready for the big off next season (I hope) and when I can afford the internet (about every second month as it is horrendously expensive here in NZ) I am a faithful reader of CF.

So now I have a site to which I can refer lonely sailors who want to share the fun/sun/terror/excitement/peace/smiles and times with someone else. I am so glad you did this and I will refer as many people as we meet who profess an interest. Keep it up your doing a great job for great people.

Fiona. Happily retired ex-nurse.
Old 16-08-2009, 13:46   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
George,
... You could be our visibility liaison and optimize ways we can be seen by the cruisers forum crowd... Cheers and thanks so much for the offer to help!
Erika
I need teeth and a smile like that. Thanks for the welcome.
Old 16-08-2009, 13:53   #79

Boat: Tartan 41 #68
Quote:
PS -we have over 20 members now!!
here is the link Single Sailors Seeking Soul Mates

PSS -And dont be discouraged or read into people not posting their bio, some people go at a different pace than others or like to go about things a bit different, Ye gads that is a sailor for you, and if we all followed the leader..well we wouldnt be a bunch of sailors would we? (some people take the north passage and some take the south)
Cheers,
Erika
Your right Erica...Some of us have not posted a bio, but I'm accepting resumes ...I to thank you for your effort to start this group..

Best,
Bob
Old 16-08-2009, 13:54   #80

Thanks Fiona for your kind and encouraging words I grew up on the water and then went inland for 8 long years. Coming back to the water was like coming home to a beloved family, and the ocean never looked more beautiful. Right now as I'm typing, I'm listening to the creaking of my lines and it is music to my ears how could anyone not love this life?

I hope to see you "out there", and hopefully I wont be single handing
Erika
Old 16-08-2009, 13:58   #81

bob 77903 - you are very welcome!
Old 16-08-2009, 14:50   #82

Boat: Radford 40
Hi Erica

I think I am up and running on the site now! How do I get a photo to show up one this page?

Tom
Old 16-08-2009, 15:02   #83

Boat: Radford 40
Wow, I actually managed to figure that out by myself! Photos are avitars! who would have thought!
Old 16-08-2009, 15:12   #84

Feel free to post a pic on the group site too, Vicking sailor has some dashing photos up already
Erika
Old 16-08-2009, 15:20   #85
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i use a print by elvgren--he has great pinups...LOL....
Old 16-08-2009, 19:20   #86

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
PS -we have over 20 members now!! (some people take the north passage and some take the south)
Are you sayin' what I think you're sayin' Ocean Girl??? And if so, shouldn't that be listed in their introductions?

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 16-08-2009, 19:40   #87

Ha ha When I saw that you had left a comment, I steeled myself for what I was about to read - your reputation proceeds you . Frankly I was quite proud of that analogy, but now...
Erika

PS we are up to 23 members!
here is the link Single Sailors Seeking Soul Mates Join Now!
Old 16-08-2009, 22:08   #88
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I have had a great day of sailing and too much wine so I'm just gonna say it. The sailing community - I mean those of us who really take it out and sail it - are all pretty much loners. We will share our dreams but we won't compromise. Share it with us, join the fun, but don't try to control the broach... Let it happen and recover later...

BTW - I just broke up, again, with my S/O... sorry for the sob stories -At least Relax Lah! is honest and tells me what she needs...
Hi Dan….sorry to hear about the squall…sometimes they come out of nowhere…

I agree, sailors by definition, tend to be “loners”, but that is often because our uncompromising love of the sea scares away a potential partner who has had little exposure to it.

The uncertainty of wind and weather, the discipline of being ship shape and the inherent self sufficiency a sailor develops, often intimidates a new partner, unless she has the same mindset and the willingness to leave her comfort zone.

I think what Erica has started here is Great!

It will take time for the community to evolve as an open Forum, develop trusted mentors who can help others identify realistic partners and counsel on specific challenges that cruising couple’s experience.

The biggest problem I see with those seeking a new life on the water is that they are running away from something, rather than embracing a marine lifestyle based on positive reasons.

We all know, living on a boat is a trade-off, comfort and space traded for the dynamics of a floating home.

I am lucky my girlfriend was the one who suggested we move from a beautiful beach-Front home to the boat, as she loves the travel, the planning, the actual sailing and when we get there…the swimming and fishing.

Yes, there are times she get’s a bit crabby but the photo below shows the perfect solution.

Good luck to others in their search.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crabby DSC_0074.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	450.9 KB
ID:	9392  
Old 16-08-2009, 22:26   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Thanks for the kind word folks. It did turn out to be a pasing squall. That's what I get ofr feeling sorry for myself and PUI. (Posting under the influence)
Old 17-08-2009, 02:29   #90

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Having been a subscriber to several net dating sites over the past 4 years, ive become not only jaded and synical of them but now realise they are the problem not the answer.The vast majority of men see net dating as a way to lure women for nothing more than no strings sex. These guys wouldnt stand a chance in the normal areas of life where men and women might normally meet. They lie about everything and would be exposed right away whereas on the net they can live in a fantasy world behind fake photos and profiles.But, what is the alternative way to find a partner? 60% ish find love through their work, be it in the office or even a customer/client. If your self employed and work alone, or your clients are families or people beyond your age or social group, your going to be out of luck.If your local pub is full of happy marrieds, bead beats, kids etc, then you dont find him there.Some people said join a club or group, go to evening classes or the gym. Been there, tried that. I think as we age, many of us who have been hurt or lost before, dont wish to get hurt again and only want friendship. Many men fall in this catagory, although they wont turn down a chance for a no strings shag, so that rules them out.Some guys arnt house trained. They never were, but a young wife will put up with it. An older mature woman expects a guy to be clean tidy and not looking for a mother figure these days. Boil it all down and it spells 'chemistry'. If there isnt any, its not going to work. So, you need a lot of suitable people to play the numbers game. 98% wont make the grade, and if the pool which you chose from is local and small, you have little chance, and this is where the net plays its part.Im here in a small corner of England chatting to a potential 24,500 of you world wide.I certainly wouldnt meet any of you in my local area, especially as im inland and looking for a soulmate who loves the sea.

Tags
cruising companion, love, single, soul mate