Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 29-06-2010, 20:29   #421

Boat: 1973 Jay Benford "TOKETEE" 46'
SO how do people meet like-minded potential mates? I've never been a "player" and try to be honest and straightforward, but it's always the smooth talking playa who actually gets a girl to talk to him.. I've tried flowers, etc, but there must be an invisible L on my forehead? Great reading here guys!
Old 29-06-2010, 23:05   #422

Boat: Catalina 42'
I think the most important ingredient in a relationship (or perhaps developing one) is proximity.
Old 30-06-2010, 00:27   #423
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskamountainman View Post
I think the most important ingredient in a relationship (or perhaps developing one) is proximity.
I think you have hit on the one major difference that we single sailors have with our dirt bound competitors in finding and keeping the right partner.

By definition, we are transients who are also probably a bit more introverted than most because of those long night watches…. alone with our thoughts.

I have been a single professional sailor all my life, who could not find the right partner to work with me and could nor bear to commit to a long distance relationship as a distant husband and father. So that never happened and I simply got used to that empty feeling, while enjoying a great career.

But in truth we all need “Love” and that inadequate word is so hard to define that thousands of essays have been written about the many different kinds of "Love" using Greek terminology.

So eventually …I quit my job to become a recreational sailor and focused on finding a partner who was like me…. simply looking for just three things in a relationship:

Intimacy + Passion + Commitment.

Now still enjoying a 5 year relationship that has maintained those attributes, we do not sweat the small stuff and from my now older and perhaps wiser perspective, it was well worth the wait.

My humble advice is to keep it simple and enjoy your life while still in the search
Old 30-06-2010, 00:42   #424

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Thats so sweet and true Pelagic.
Old 30-06-2010, 06:44   #425
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Pelagic - nice
Old 30-06-2010, 07:11   #426

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I think you have hit on the one major difference that we single sailors have with our dirt bound competitors in finding and keeping the right partner.

By definition, we are transients who are also probably a bit more introverted than most because of those long night watches…. alone with our thoughts.

I have been a single professional sailor all my life, who could not find the right partner to work with me and could nor bear to commit to a long distance relationship as a distant husband and father. So that never happened and I simply got used to that empty feeling, while enjoying a great career.

But in truth we all need “Love” and that inadequate word is so hard to define that thousands of essays have been written about the many different kinds of "Love" using Greek terminology.

So eventually …I quit my job to become a recreational sailor and focused on finding a partner who was like me…. simply looking for just three things in a relationship:

Intimacy + Passion + Commitment.

Now still enjoying a 5 year relationship that has maintained those attributes, we do not sweat the small stuff and from my now older and perhaps wiser perspective, it was well worth the wait.

My humble advice is to keep it simple and enjoy your life while still in the search
Bingo Pelagic! Wonderful post, thanks for writing it.

We have 125 members now, welcome to all the new members.

Gadagirl -you sound like such a neat person, hope we run into each other out there (hopefully we are not single handing!).

Life here on OG is great, I am not online much (sorry) very busy and work is.. well work! Glad to see everyone is doing well. Anjou you bronze beauty! are you in the tropics? you are so tan.

Off to work, no hammock time on the bow of OG today, we are feeling the out stretched fingers of hurricane alex so rain and more rain.

Cheers,
Erika
Old 30-06-2010, 07:53   #427

After the hardest winter for 20 years, out cometh the sun. Only 5 months ago we had flooding and now we are facing a hosepipe ban.

I burn and turn tanned in a few short days so I can change colour quite easilly. Ive got freckles too and when ive finished joining them up, (about when im 70) I will be Black and apply for a different passport to a country which I hope hasnt gone to the dogs.

Meanwhile, Sydney is having a realy cold snap. Whats happening to the world?

Im roasty toasty inside cos I may have a new love. - I said MAY.
Haha, they finally started building my boat last friday so im off to update the blog with new piccies.
Old 30-06-2010, 08:01   #428
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

I nearly vomited over all that mushy ooze.

But the last line is a goodie

Being happy and enjoying life is the most important thing in the world. Women who see this in you are immediately attracted. Why? Because they are like rabid ware-wolves circling for prey and they love chewing happiness and spitting you into the gutter stripped of cash and dignity.

Did some wise sage once say 'beware what you wish for' or did I just make that up?

OK, I better get outta this thread

Hey, Nicolle, gimme nuvver beer.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 30-06-2010, 08:09   #429

DOnt be such an old cynic Mark

Not all women are gold digging, money sucking leeches. Some of us want what money cannot buy and wheres the pride in destroying someone whos never done any harm?

I thought Nicole would have knocked some bloody sense into you by now. Maybe your getting too comfortable and need a reality check.

DOnt be bitter please, its not attractive. I fancied you but can go off you pretty fast ya know.
Old 30-06-2010, 09:11   #430
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
need a reality check.

Is that like a bank check?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 30-06-2010, 09:26   #431
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
..............they are like rabid ware-wolves circling for prey and they love chewing happiness and spitting you into the gutter stripped of cash and dignity.

Mark

I haven't been reading this thread .............. but if I'm going to miss out on great lines like this I'm going to start getting caught up
Old 30-06-2010, 09:51   #432
cruiser

Don't mind mark. It's easy to become insensitive being on a cold, pragmatic bennie and stuck in an oppressive Turkey for months and months on end.

Kudos to Pelagic.
Old 30-06-2010, 09:56   #433

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Is that like a bank check?

No

Its like, dont take loved ones for granted or life for that matter. xxx
Old 30-06-2010, 11:36   #434
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
No

Its like, dont take loved ones for granted or life for that matter. xxx
And great exclam-point by anjou
Old 30-06-2010, 12:37   #435

Boat: Catalina 42'
Paligic said: "My humble advice is to keep it simple and enjoy your life while still in the search."

Agreed. It is said that happiness (love too?) is like a butterfly. The more you chase it, the more it will elude you. However, when you turn your attention to other things, it will come and light softly upon your shoulder.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising companion, love, single, soul mate