Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 21:30   #271
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
I'm on the hook tonight, just off James Island where the frogs are singing. I couldn't be happier for you G. 'Tis the life.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:50   #272

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Wow Gunslinger that is great. Those Columbias are sweet and take good care of their captains (their hulls are massive, hand laid, and thick thick thick!). Be sure to let us know her name. Maybe we will run into each other in a far off anchorage.. The more friends I make here the more I understand why this forum has it own burgee.
Cheers,
Erika
Old 07-02-2010, 13:13   #273
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Zeehag, great post, very insightful.

Hummingway, that is the million dollar question! Maybe it is when there are no more question marks..? does that make sense?

Cheers,
Erika
I could see that being the case. A person would need to be honest with themselves to determine when that was.
Old 11-02-2010, 17:30   #274

Boat: Radford 40
Still ooking for that elusive soulmate, it is sort of like the green flash, by the time you think you have seen it, it is too late!

I am on the hook in St Lucia, Rodney Bay. I leave this next week for San Juan Puerto Rico where I will spend a month in a marina taking care of maintenance issues.

After that, plans are a bit murky. I had originaly looked to heading down to Barbados and returning back to Suriname, but I fear I will be too late to have a decent passage, realistcally June is the earliest I would be in Barbados and the winds just turn a bit too unfriendly then. Now I am looking for recommendations, and a travelling companion!!

Tom
Old 11-02-2010, 18:17   #275
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hildebrandt View Post
Still ooking for that elusive soulmate, it is sort of like the green flash, by the time you think you have seen it, it is too late!

I am on the hook in St Lucia, Rodney Bay. I leave this next week for San Juan Puerto Rico where I will spend a month in a marina taking care of maintenance issues.

After that, plans are a bit murky. I had originaly looked to heading down to Barbados and returning back to Suriname, but I fear I will be too late to have a decent passage, realistcally June is the earliest I would be in Barbados and the winds just turn a bit too unfriendly then. Now I am looking for recommendations, and a travelling companion!!

Tom
Hey Tom...
You did'nt run into a friend of mine in St Lucia by any chance....
His names Roy and the boats an old 1936 Gauntlet Cutter called Guiding Light....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 11-02-2010, 18:44   #276

Boat: Radford 40
Hi Boatman

I have not seen the boat, nor have I ever met Roy, but I have not been looking either! Tomorrow I will have a look about, and at the local brew up tomorrow night I will ask about!

Salud

Tom
Old 11-02-2010, 19:36   #277
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Where's the

Burgee?
Old 11-02-2010, 22:50   #278

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
I hear a lot about soul mates. The problem I have had is She's here and I am over there! Thats seems to be the hard part, being in the same place at the same time.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:17   #279
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
If you know she's over there - run don't walk to where she is, if she doesn't come to you first. A soulmate [someone completely in tune and compatible] is such a rare thing, distance should not (will not) be a problem.

Unless what you mean is you imagine she's over there somewhere. I think we all hope that, which is why we joined this group. We're letting all the great folks here know we're ready to open our hearts, or at least our boats!

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
Old 12-02-2010, 08:54   #280

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
So, just supposing you met someone special on here, you messaged, chatted and found you had a lot in common, and you fancied them, .....enough to want to meet them for real

How far would you go to know if they were the one for you.

Would you go to the ends of the Earth?
Old 12-02-2010, 09:29   #281
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If it's a serious relationship we're talking, and I guess it's a given when you use the term "soul mate", I would want to touch on a few possibly contentious issues. If either person might have issues around where and how you were to live then the cards would need to be on the table. Make any "inflexibilities" visible. On the other hand there is nothing to say you can't go and have a good time and just see if it's fun but I think you might be able to cut down on mileage ahead of time by tackling potentially difficult subjects - as long as you're willing to be honest at the cost of the relationship. I suspect we all have reasons we're not in relationships at the moment and it may not be entirely that we haven't yet found our soul mate.

One obvious one is: after flying 3000 km to meet and spend two weeks in heaven, then what? Your boat or mine? Cruise on pennies or working toward a retirement? Can't leave the children? Has to be the tropics ... etc.

Prosaic maybe but sometimes the poetry of love is lost to the practicalities of who we are.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:31   #282

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
how far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Would you go to the ends of the Earth?
I would move to the moons of Jupiter if I found a woman who would hold my heart in hers...
Old 12-02-2010, 09:57   #283
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
I would move to the moons of Jupiter if I found a woman who would hold my heart in hers...
Glad to hear it Doug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Prosaic maybe but sometimes the poetry of love is lost to the practicalities of who we are.
Hummingway, I think you have it exactly. All cannot be poetry and dreams, at some point two people interested in each other will lay out the must haves and can't stands. And discuss the logistics, prosaic as it might be.

The trick as you've pointed out is to exchange enough "truths" before the 3000 miles to avoid any truly awful surprises.

So hard to do. I think usually the "lust" at first meetings carries 2 people to the point of wanting to make compromises on lots of things to keep the closeness going, or else ends badly!

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
Old 12-02-2010, 11:21   #284

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
If it's a serious relationship we're talking, and I guess it's a given when you use the term "soul mate", I would want to touch on a few possibly contentious issues. If either person might have issues around where and how you were to live then the cards would need to be on the table. Make any "inflexibilities" visible. On the other hand there is nothing to say you can't go and have a good time and just see if it's fun but I think you might be able to cut down on mileage ahead of time by tackling potentially difficult subjects - as long as you're willing to be honest at the cost of the relationship. I suspect we all have reasons we're not in relationships at the moment and it may not be entirely that we haven't yet found our soul mate.

One obvious one is: after flying 3000 km to meet and spend two weeks in heaven, then what? Your boat or mine? Cruise on pennies or working toward a retirement? Can't leave the children? Has to be the tropics ... etc.

Assuming you have both already met the compatability criteria and other life baggage isnt going to impede progress, how far would you go?
Old 12-02-2010, 12:05   #285
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Any distance. It's a small world :-)
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising companion, love, single, soul mate