Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 07:22   #31

Re: Really cool plane -

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill good View Post
Iam NOT going to confess any of my doings with aircrafts when I was young & bullet proof!!!
Wise idea. This day and age a cop can read your post and you might get in trouble.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:34   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Really cool plane -

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellin View Post
Wise idea. This day and age a cop can read your post and you might get in trouble.

Unless it was to commit some kind of felony that would involve agencies other than the FAA, like smuggling drugs for example, the FSDO really doesn't care especially if significant time has passed and your no longer active as a pilot.
There are quite a few, as in many people that fly around without medicals, overdue annuals etc., if your just Jim Bob in a 172 by yourself out in the country, they don't care, victimless activity. I know of a couple that own and fly their airplane that have no pilots icense, and a couple that have been student pilots for many years.
Now if you hauling passengers or anything for hire, that is a whole different ballgame there, it's done I'm sure, but your playing with fire doing something like that.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:23   #33

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Re: Really Cool Plane -

Nice to see so many aviators speaking up on CF. I knew that you all had to be there but its not common to have a thread to respond to.
One of the most I interesting moments for me was walking into the crew room to start a trip and it hit me...there's no one but kids in here. Oh my god I'm senior! From that moment the boat loomed much larger in my thinking...bullet proof? Not so much anymore. It was a great privilege to do that work and be good at it.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:32   #34

Boat: Seafarer36c

I was the operator of one of the local rural airports for a few years. Sometimes people would call to complain about low flying aircraft. We would sound concerned on the phone and say that we would deal with the offending pilot. Ha ha! I can assure no one called the FAA.
It's the plane and pilot that are in danger from a buzz job, not the guy standing on the ground.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:42   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Nice to see so many aviators speaking up on CF. I knew that you all had to be there but its not common to have a thread to respond to.
One of the most I interesting moments for me was walking into the crew room to start a trip and it hit me...there's no one but kids in here. Oh my god I'm senior! From that moment the boat loomed much larger in my thinking...bullet proof? Not so much anymore. It was a great privilege to do that work and be good at it.

Twenty or so years ago I would go to an IA renewal seminar and most likely be the youngest one there., Now I go and sometimes am still the youngest one there, Anything but Corporate and Commercial aviation is dieing, next generation will see very few small private airplanes.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:55   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Twenty or so years ago I would go to an IA renewal seminar and most likely be the youngest one there., Now I go and sometimes am still the youngest one there, Anything but Corporate and Commercial aviation is dieing, next generation will see very few small private airplanes.
Agreed, you might actually see a real pilot shortage. Liability and cultural aversion to learning by doing is grinding it all down. Its not just a job but bean counters and lawyers interfere.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:58   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The "puppy mill" flight schools in Fl are still churning them out, but you can tell listening on the radio that english is not the first language. Only time you hear clear English is sometimes form an instructor
Old 08-06-2014, 09:16   #38

Boat: Seafarer36c

How about drone airliners? They want to cut down on costs, so get rid of the flight crew. You don't need some stinking pilot in the air.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:18   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Flight crew is almost insignificant in costs, but it is one that they can reduce so pilots pay is poor now.
The drone people try to compare pilotless airplanes to elevators, in the 1930's no one could imagine an elevator without an operator, now we think it's silly. Wh knows?
Old 08-06-2014, 09:28   #40

Any one that thinks its dangerous to fly low passes doent understand planes. The fact is its dangerous as soon as the engine is started. A guy i know just bought a T6 last week, took off engine quit 45 seconds later and crashed about a mile from here. Both prevous owner and new owner dead.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:28   #41

Boat: Catalina 30

A certain relative of mine was in flight school in the Army some where down south before going to Nam. One day he got a speeding ticket as he crested a hill in his firebird. so the next day he was soloing in a Hughes 500 and saw the same cop in the same place. He swung around and came in 4 or 5 feet off the deck doing over 100 kts. He popped up on him so fast the cop actually tried to flag him over before he realized it was a helicopter at which point he dove to the ground. By the time he made it back to base there was a huge inquiry but the cop never got his numbers so deny deny deny.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:29   #42

Boat: Lagoon 410 S2 2006

I got my ticket a couple years ago. Lots of Chinese students. For good reason USA has some of the best schools and challenging airspace in the World. Nothing to worry about there.
I am glad they are spending their money here and keeping CFIs flying. Also it helps them learn to speak and understand calls in English in an English speaking environment. Win win.
Only problem for them is day late and a dollar short (IMHO). Look at the military replacing pilots for autopilots right and left. Writing is on the wall for commercial aviation. I'm just glad I learned before it was too late. It was one of the best things I ever did as an investment in myself. Talk about learning about responsibility.
onefastdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:36   #43

My dad wrecked 3 planes but only got killed once. I still think planes are safe enough and a blast to fly. I have had two partial power failures with forced landings. Just got to believe in that engine. Believe with all your heart that it is going to quit any second and always be ready for a forced landing.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:36   #44

Boat: A cloud in the sky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurebound View Post
I have come from a forum where I hammered pilots day and night for things like you did. Some get it, some don't, and some die.
So now you come here to hammer sailors? Or just still hammer pilots?

I think maybe the Mustang driver saw a target of opportunity.....and jet skis can be a particular joy.

Maybe the OP saw Tom Cruise out having a bit of a flashback in his little steed.
Ron Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:55   #45

Computers are flying a Kmax drone in service in Afghanistan, their flying a Huey too. If that can be done, its only "help" from all the retired pilots in the FAA that keeps em outta national airspace. I do hope they make an exception for Spaceship2 and SpaceX. We stand on the shoulders of giants. We will still see things that will amaze.