Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 14-10-2008, 16:15   #1
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
Is an Air Rifle Considered a Firearm ?

A friend introduced me to his high power air rifle over the weekend and I was amazed at the power. So I was wondering if an air gun would be considered a fire arm outside of the US??

Since we have scuba tanks...
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 16:21   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
So I was wondering if an air gun would be considered a fire arm outside of the US??
Yes it can and no if you used it it won't stop someone. It only makes them mad. It's a toy weapon. The really nice ones are a target shooting recreational sport enjoyed by many. It's not a really a serious weapon but some places might consider it one. Other than in competition I know of no serious use for one other than small rodents. They are a lot of fun to shoot at close range.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 16:24   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
LOLOLOLOL I'm just imagining the conversation between you and some officious official who doesn't like to speak English as you say you don't have firearms on board and then he finds an air rifle.

"Hello, do you have a gift for my family? Do you have weapons on board? This is not a gun? But it shoots that other Customs Officer dead! Perhaps you have a bigger gift for my family???????"

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 16:28   #4
cruiser

Normally I would agree...until I saw this:Quackenbush Airguns: The .50-caliber Bandit! (Part 1)

I'm pretty sure this would do far more than stop someone.
Old 14-10-2008, 16:32   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I have an air rifle that shoots at over 1000 feet per second which is almost the speed of sound at 1125 FPS. It can easily penetrate skin. I treat it the same as a real gun. I practice shooting by taping a target on a five gallon plastic bucket...the pellet penetates through the first and second wall of the bucket easily. The problem with using it as a weapon on a boat are two potential problems. One is that it may be illegal in some countries and the second problem is that you must manually load a new pellet and then pump it...making it pretty worthless if you must shoot more than one round quickly. I actually think that anyone who is serious would laugh at it at first until the first round penetrates them...and then they would have the upper hand if all it penetrates is muscle. I cant imagine it having any real stopping power unless you get lucky. All in all, I think it is probably best to leave it on shore. Either get a real weapon and take your chances with the law or dont bother bringing any weapon aboard. My inclination is the latter given the occurances of needing gun on a boat are extremely rare. You probably have a greater chance of dieing in a car crash than needing a gun.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 16:33   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Anything that has a projectile is considered a weapon in most places. That includes spear guns and flare guns.

How about a potato cannon.
Old 14-10-2008, 16:40   #7
cruiser

Spear guns...REALLY? ...I will certainly have several spear guns on board.
Old 14-10-2008, 17:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
Spear guns...REALLY? ...I will certainly have several spear guns on board.
You can review some regulations here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ntry-1641.html
Old 14-10-2008, 21:26   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Not in Oz...

My recollection is that air powered weapons are considered to be legally the same as other firearms in Australia.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 22:00   #10

Boat: Islander 36
"Anything that has a projectile is considered a weapon in most places. That includes spear guns and flare guns."

So what experiences can anybody share with these "weapons"? Do the authorities in different countries really treat them the same as conventional firearms? I don't remember any issues coming into Mexico. I carry 2 flare guns so I can be "innocently armed".
Old 14-10-2008, 22:41   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
So what experiences can anybody share with these "weapons"? Do the authorities in different countries really treat them the same as conventional firearms? I don't remember any issues coming into Mexico. I carry 2 flare guns so I can be "innocently armed".
I believe the plastic ones that come in flare kits will pass but the old metal ones would probably be questioned. I know mine would! It's an old navy flare pistol that I steel lined the alum barrel. It'll take a 12ga shotgun shell. I kept it aboard our river boat in Viet Nam. It would have been a close encounter weapon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flaregun.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	5487  
Old 14-10-2008, 23:13   #12
Marine Service Provider

In NZ an air rifle is a gun. You don't need a license if your over 18 unless it's an auto. So a low level gun but one all the same. Not sure if they would take it off you on arrival but I certianly would tell Customs I had it aboard.

Flare pistols are OK, safety equipment.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 00:33   #13
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
if you used it it won't stop someone. It only makes them mad. It's a toy weapon
Unless you fix a bayonet
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 00:36   #14

Boat: inspiration 10 - 10.5 mtrs capricorn magic
Trim 50, maybe you should ask "Shotgun Annie" from Alaska. I'm sure she'd fill you in on procedures. Go on be a moose, don't be frightened by what you hear.
lolanreg@smartc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 01:02   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
It's a toy weapon.
Very sadly I must mention here that an policeman was shot dead by an air rifle in Auckland only 1 month ago. They say it was a pretty lucky shot but whatever it was he's now quite dead.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=124&objectid=10531987
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote