Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-10-2008, 02:44   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I believe the classification of Air Guns (as a “firearm”) might depend (in some jurisdictions) upon their muzzle velocity/energy.

* ie: In Canada, air guns with a muzzle velocity of over 500 ft/s and a muzzle energy in excess of 4.2 ftlLbs (5.7 J) are classified as firearms and must be registered, transported, stored, and used as such.

Even air guns not considered firearms are subject to regulation in many areas; and they may be considered "dangerous or deadly weapons".

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 04:35   #17
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
They're not that scientific here on Nevis. An air gun is a weapon, period. A friend of mine wanted to import a Daisy BB gun to harass the monkeys that raid his garden. He was required to report to the police station for an interview with the police chief, fill out forms, have a visit to his home by a constable, and make a (voluntary) contribution to the police force general fund. When the air gun arrived, it was sequestered at the airport by customs for several months. I'm still not sure if he has it in hand, almost a year after beginning the process. His contribution was used to partially fund a radar gun for speed limit enforcement.
Old 15-10-2008, 04:42   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Yes it can and no if you used it it won't stop someone. It only makes them mad. It's a toy weapon. The really nice ones are a target shooting recreational sport enjoyed by many. It's not a really a serious weapon but some places might consider it one. Other than in competition I know of no serious use for one other than small rodents. They are a lot of fun to shoot at close range.

Obviously you've never seen a Crossman .22 caliber air rifle. Pumped to the max it has nearly the power, though not the range, of a .22 short. You could inflict SERIOUS damage with one. However, it's a single shot and you have to pump it eight or nine times for each shot and make sure the pellet is inserted properly which would certainly make it impractical if you're not Annie Oakley and being beset by more than one person.
Old 15-10-2008, 07:25   #19
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
His contribution was used to partially fund a radar gun for speed limit enforcement.
Now that is a funny story...however, living in Nevis has a lot of positive attributes that would make one overlook not having a BB gun
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 08:07   #20

Boat: Privilege 37
In UK, I am not entirely certain about the status of air guns, but believe that they need a license above a certain power.

I am certain that the verey pistol is considered a firearm.
Old 15-10-2008, 08:38   #21

Boat: Jeanneau 57
I think the general limit is 7.5 KiloJoules in many countries.
Zanshin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 10:22   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
In the United Kingdom, for example, air pistols generating more than 8.1 Joules, or air rifles generating more than 16.2 Joules of energy are considered firearms.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 12:14   #23
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Lawmakers aren't all dumb. I've seen several definitions of "firearm" written very broadly to include any form or "stored energy" or "propellant" and those are OLD definitions.

If you can pick it up and cause it to launch a projectile--it's usually a firearm. There are plenty of air guns sold and used for varmint hunting, the only thing that makes them non-lethal to humans is the generally small mass of the pellet and poor aim of the average shooter.

But let's not forget "air guns" use compressed air to fire 2x4's through WALLS to test hurricane construction standards. And chickens, to test bird strikes on aircraft windshields.

So, is that an air cannon in your galley? Or just the meat tenderizer?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 12:45   #24

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Now, that's something that no one would suspect, a chicken shooter. A large airgun shooting a frozen chickens at any pirates. Or maybe frozen seagulls for convenience? Or frozen turkeys for a ship to ship battle. I truely doubt anyone would figure that out. How would you do a ballistics trace? And by the time law enforcement arrived the bird would have thawed and be stuck in the middle of the would be pirate. I think you could pick any story you really wanted to "It was the most bizarre thing, I found him there holding a bag of birdseed with a bird stuck in his chest.." And even if they knew exactly what happened, how could they convince anyone of the truth? 'I know this sounds bizarre, but he's been keeping a stash of frozen pidgens and then using them as weapons to defend himself, look at his freezer and you'll find a frozen turkey too. Obviously he's intent on doing this again"
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 12:49   #25
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
A large airgun shooting ...frozen seagulls
Frozen Albatroses?

Then if you miss you would still becalm them!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 20:32   #26

Boat: inspiration 10 - 10.5 mtrs capricorn magic
G/mac, I'm sorry to hear that in NZ. I'm not sure what the rules are in Oz but I believe that an air rifle is a classified weapon. I rather like the idea that all firearms be licenced,I'm not a gun totin' person, see no valid reason for a normal ordinary citizen to have one/two/three. there's too many fools around, and thank God I'm not a poor old moose in Alaska with all those rednecks up there, including the top heirachy. Bang Bang thank you Mam. So on a boat? you've got to be joking!
lolanreg@smartc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 02:22   #27

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
I like the frozen bird gun idea. However some years back living on an a piece of land on Vancouver Island I would use a potato gun to scare off the deer that would be trying to get into my garden. At first this worked simply because of the noise, but once the deer realized that a free potato meal came along with the noise they would just stand ther waiting to get hit by the potato and then proceed to eat it. Maybe the same thing would happen to the pirates. You could end up with a flottilla of pirate boats waiting to have a turkey launched at them.
Old 16-10-2008, 03:58   #28

Lancerbye, Pirates are very partial to potato chips!
Old 16-10-2008, 04:03   #29

What does one do with a killer jewel but hit it with a frozen chook. takes all the piss outa them real quick.
Old 16-10-2008, 05:57   #30

Boat: we don't need no steenking boat-we walk on water...
Technically it's not a FIRE arm as there is no powder to burn, but the governments that would keep their citizens unarmed and defenseless would consider a rock thrown hard enough an illegal weapon.