Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2015, 10:11   #181

Re: Has anyone considered their Multihull as last refuge in Global Pandemic?

It could always flare up again, or a different strain could flare up in the future, possibly a much more virulent one. The problem still remains: easy air travel from some of the most disease stricken countries in the world to some of the most densely populated metropolises on the planet.

I'd be in favor of dogs that can sniff illnesses out at the airport while people are standing in line for security anyways, even though the drug dogs are obviously fallible. I went through a BP checkpoint a week ago (50 mi from the border, oddly enough) and their drug dog alerted on my truck, so they sent me into secondary. After a ton of the same questions over and over and the dog getting dragged around my truck 3 times without alerting again, they let me go.

The woman who was handling the dog looked almost exactly like the athletic blonde in Police Academy, only bustier. Of course I couldn't help but quip, "Looks like your dog's nose might need recalibration!" with a smile as I walked back to my truck.
Old 19-01-2015, 13:29   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I am happy to say I was wrong this time. I've read too many books.

Now there is an eloquent way of expressing a mistake, much better than most!
Old 19-01-2015, 13:32   #183
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'm very thankful of the mistake, but still think a prudent person hopes for the best, but is prepared for the worst.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-01-2015, 14:12   #184

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Oh now what to do with all that food and other supplies that will be no good in a year or two

Old 19-01-2015, 15:47   #185

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Has anyone considered their Multihull as last refuge in Global Pandemic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
Oh now what to do with all that food and other supplies that will be no good in a year or two
Ha. As a senior I am interested in health and healthy food, trying to scratch out an extra day. I read just a day ago something like" As you eat better and cleaner, you find yourself buying a whole new set of staples."

It's been that way for me. I eat chia, pumpkin seeds by the 2Lb bag, quinoa, green green stuff and rice noodles. Rice noodles?

I think those of us concerned about WTSHTF have already made the adjustments required. We'd eat the stash cuz that's what we mostly eat everyday anyway. And like Fight Club, we don't talk destinations.
Old 19-01-2015, 16:37   #186
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Ridicule is a well known defense used by those who have no clue.

Old 19-01-2015, 18:17   #187
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Personally I am grateful that this Ebola scare did a number of things for me.
1. I know longer take the food chain for granted. I know where my food comes from and I try and deal a lot with local.
2. I do have food and other essentials stored away.
3. Our extended family has a bug out plan, should we find ourselves in the same situation as some of the people in Africa.
But I can only cry for the death and misery that brought me that knowledge. All those that are thinking " false alarm " really don't get it.
We were lucky.
Old 19-01-2015, 18:24   #188

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

I know I am late to this thread but something like it will come up again one day. If it is "the real one" a thread won't last two days as all will be assaulting the known preppers.

I met a guy that digs holes for the serious underground bunker type of preppers. He was asked if he had one too. His answer was NO as he knew where all of them were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Ebola is a joke to me now.

Malaria isn't a joke, just a forgotten killer...

WHO | Malaria
Mostly because DDT was outlawed. If not it would be saving lives now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The sad thing is that with a half dozen "crop dusters" we could save millions. I hoped when General Electric developed their first small turboprop and I certified the first airplane to use it, that I could interest them in doing just that, I tried.
Imagine the publicity "General Electric turbines save millions of children per year" I thought sure they would go for it.
I have always wondered though if GE would feed all those live children. Seems it would be difficult since many in the same affected areas are starving or at least malnourished. So they survive malaria and die of starvation. Hmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
Cool map but like lots said later. I am moving to that little green zone. Bet it would change colors shortly after a lot got there eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Hpeer- You are welcome.
You guys are my friends. I would not want to see you caught up in the stampedes of panic that we will likely see in the coming year. Instead, I want you to study the effects and reactions of people that have had to face similar in times before. See what worked and what did not.
Preparation and planning beat panic and last minute travel any day. Society is not going away, but some things are going to change (at least for a little while). I saw that they put an entire news team under quarantine at the airport today. I think some people are starting to wake up. But it is still on it's way.
Be aware of your food delivery system and also where you get your water. Can you boil your water if you loose natural gas to your home. Ebola is a large virus. Can you filter all your water if you need to? Can you clean your food enough (bleach is useful)?
I guess there may be a time when you need to leave. I think it is unwise to leave until "you have to step up to the liferaft", and this is why: You have no connections, no food if you sail to somewhere else. You have to rely on the kindness of strangers in a time when that may be sorely lacking.
That said, you may be able to equipt your ark with everything you need, sail to a place like Knight Inlet BC and survive. That would require luck, good seamanship and a incredible commitment. Rational plan for someone in downtown LA perhaps, but not really for someone like me, that has the national forest within a 10 minute walk.
I have made preparations for my love ones in my home to last. Unfortunately, if it gets that bad I will not be here. I made an oath a long time ago to serve the people in my community. I will stay at the hospital. My children and grandchildren is who I have planned for.
Mighty noble of you but you have to know that a "real" pandemic will overwhelm even recently trained and equipped facilities. The modern "just in time" stocking system used by all "modern" companies will fail virtually overnight. The govt will not be stocking the local Publix market. Go with your grandchildren. You will do more good with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
I think this thread has had more rude responses than I have ever read on this forum. Seems like a good question to me and it would be nice to hear some ways that people are making their vessels more independent.
Heh! That is because you are new around here. There are bunches that are archived that you will never see because they got shut down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Ha. As a senior I am interested in health and healthy food, trying to scratch out an extra day. I read just a day ago something like" As you eat better and cleaner, you find yourself buying a whole new set of staples."

It's been that way for me. I eat chia, pumpkin seeds by the 2Lb bag, quinoa, green green stuff and rice noodles. Rice noodles?

I think those of us concerned about WTSHTF have already made the adjustments required. We'd eat the stash cuz that's what we mostly eat everyday anyway. And like Fight Club, we don't talk destinations.
Rice noodles?? Ack! The arsenic will kill you then.

It has been great.
No more it in the nooze which means it is all over. Move along now. Nothing to see (or learn) here.
Old 19-01-2015, 21:02   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post

Head on over to the "Don't invite me to the Potluck" thread and invite them all over for a potluck. Next time, buy the quality stuff that lasts for 20 yrs.
Old 20-01-2015, 01:30   #190
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Has anyone considered their Multihull as last refuge in Global Pandemic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Personally I am grateful that this Ebola scare did a number of things for me.
1. I know longer take the food chain for granted. I know where my food comes from and I try and deal a lot with local.
2. I do have food and other essentials stored away.
3. Our extended family has a bug out plan, should we find ourselves in the same situation as some of the people in Africa.
But I can only cry for the death and misery that brought me that knowledge. All those that are thinking " false alarm " really don't get it.
We were lucky.

We were not " lucky " , Ebola is a containable treatable disease , not some mumbo jumbo plaque that's kills everything in sight. It has a specific source and transmits by contact with primarily body fluids

And " prepers "'are crazy, you can't prepare for the unexpected. , but a sense of community , order and purpose can help most societies get through difficult times,

While it's amusing to assume looters will take everything , in general societies don't respond like that. Morality doesn't disappear when you get hungry. Yes certain sections try and " take " what's not theirs, but they quickly run into the end of a gun.

As for multihulls and global pandemics , I burst out laughing

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 20-01-2015, 03:24   #191
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Newt and therapy,

Good posts.

We are prepers and I talk to bunch more on other forums.

I think the prepper style has to be adapted to your particular circumstances.

Global pandemics are not the only real threat. We live in a dense center city environment that could revert to 60's style riots real quick. Think Ferguson. We could hear the protests from our bedroom. There are many triggers that could set that off.

Ebola worried me, but I did not fear dying of ebola. I feared social unrest due to disruption in global trade brought on by ebola.

While our immediate neighborhood is as safe as any suburban community it is only because of increased police presence. The murder rate goes up by orders of magnitudes within a mile of our house.

If I lived in São Paulo I would be very concerned, yet it seems the folks there are blissfully unaware. Perhaps there are threats here I am unaware of. I think the Mormons are onto something. Prepping, within reason, and reasonable, just makes good sense.

Our retreat, our vacation home, our bug out pad, is in a small community of family members, on a green dot. The boat gives us a way to get there.

We will, hopefully, not be living in center city in a year.
Old 20-01-2015, 04:14   #192

Personally I'm not into fear and all the responses that come from it. This prepping thing has been going on for as long as I have been on the planet with the same results.
If you really want to prep, your time would be better spent learning how to live off the land because no one could own enough food anyways.
Old 20-01-2015, 04:20   #193
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post

I have always wondered though if GE would feed all those live children. Seems it would be difficult since many in the same affected areas are starving or at least malnourished. So they survive malaria and die of starvation. Hmmm.
I'm trying to not think too much about any underlying thought on this comment.
Old 20-01-2015, 04:22   #194

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Has anyone considered their Multihull as last refuge in Global Pandemic?

Lemme see ...

Dave lives in the UK somewhere, and is not a physician.

Newt lives in the US, teaches survival training, and is a physician.

Dave generally writes as tho he's the last word on every subject.

Newt doesn't.

Who ya gonna call?

I'll give Dave credit: he's a sharp guy no doubt, and he's spent some time here in the US. That doesn't qualify him as any more than another opinion on the subject, however. Same as everyone else. Thanks for sharing Dave.

Gots to go shopping today for some healthier noodles. Mebbe those veggie ones.
Old 20-01-2015, 04:30   #195
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Personally I'm not into fear and all the responses that come from it. This prepping thing has been going on for as long as I have been on the planet with the same results.
If you really want to prep, your time would be better spent learning how to live off the land because no one could own enough food anyways.

If by living off the land you mean "hunter gather" I think that ship has long sailed. If you mean "start my own self sufficient farm" then you may be onto something. Too many who go down this farming path end up worrying about someone taking their farm, and then invest in gun fantasies.
Closed Thread

Tags
hull, multihull