Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2010, 08:10   #76

Boat: Looking!
I found my boat! a 27' ODay. Now to sail off into the sunset---or is that the sunrise???
avoisine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 09:07   #77

Rub it in!

Anyone in US want to find me an abandoned boat and deliver it to me? Will pay your airfare back lol
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 11:28   #78

Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by avoisine View Post
I found my boat! a 27' ODay. Now to sail off into the sunset---or is that the sunrise???
When I get my boat I'll be right behind you.
w1651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 12:15   #79

Boat: not much yet
Congrats and safe voyage!
Ahnlaashock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 12:31   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by avoisine View Post
Oh no, this little beauty just turned up on UK ebay.

Colvic Victor 41 - NO RESERVE BOAT MUST GO on eBay (end time 26-Jun-10 20:08:14 BST)

Never mind it would suit that Mr Savage chap as a live aboard. BTW ignore the comment of VAT paid if it comes back to the UK, I recon because it was sold outside the UK it will be liable for another lot of VAT which as at 2pm this afternoon will be 20% from 4 Jan 11.

Still for £15k (sterling) and an engine rebuild it looks a lot of boat. It would cost at least that to rebuild a shed.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	17278  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 12:39   #81

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
NYC, seen this in Preston

Fisher 30 Motor Sailer on eBay (end time 27-Jun-10 19:50:33 BST)
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 19:01   #82

Thanks Pete, I do appreciate your time in looking for these, but at the moment, these prices are way out of my league!

I was hoping to get a project boat that I can work on to spread the cost (in an ideal world, a free boat like the title of this thread) but I am realistic and understand that UK citizens just do not give their boats away!

Time for bed now so good night and thanks once again....
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 00:33   #83

Re: Free Boat !

Well, Ill begin with admitting to knowing nothing about sailboats or sailing. Ive read alot of the comments and just have a few questions. Im a writer, currently writing my first novel and would like to find a nice sailboat around 32-36 feet. I grew up on a 33 foot Egg Harbor, so its a pretty intense transition. What should I look out for when Im looking at boats that are listed free or cheap. What makes should I avoid? I like the Catalina styles. I would be sailing across ocean's once I get more experienced. I want to see Fiji and Greece and Ireland..pretty much everywhere that isnt the United States lol
Speedster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 01:51   #84
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedster1 View Post
Well, Ill begin with admitting to knowing nothing about sailboats or sailing. Ive read alot of the comments and just have a few questions. Im a writer, currently writing my first novel and would like to find a nice sailboat around 32-36 feet. I grew up on a 33 foot Egg Harbor, so its a pretty intense transition. What should I look out for when Im looking at boats that are listed free or cheap. What makes should I avoid? I like the Catalina styles. I would be sailing across ocean's once I get more experienced. I want to see Fiji and Greece and Ireland..pretty much everywhere that isnt the United States lol

start by crewing on other peoples boats in these locations,which would equate to basically a free boat with supervision
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 05:15   #85

It sounds really appealing at first but many of these boats are in very bad shape. Often the proper restoration of "free" boat costs you much more then buy something else. On the other hand there are more thinks in the world then money. Restoration of old boat and take it back to glory would be an awesome adventure and great pride. I would take such a boat over some modern nonsence any day. ;-)
Char422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 15:09   #86

I have searched the United States for a free boat. Nothing listed is feasible. If it is a half decent boat it doesn't have a trailer. If it has a trailer it is usually the wrong trailer or untowable.
More often I find people would rather abandon or sink their boats rather than donate them. If a good boat is available someone has snagged it and now trying to profit from it.
When I post a request on craigslist more often than not someone flags and deletes the post. I have been calked many names by individuals for requesting a free boat.
I even contacted state agencies and private marinas too no avail.
Yet thousands of boats are left to rot.
Kjnpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 15:17   #87

I have been trying for 3 yrs. I too am a disabled veteran. Looking for a sea worthy salt water rig here in Texas. People cursing me and calling me names for pisting on craigslist for a free boat. Good luck to you and God bless
Kjnpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 05:35   #88
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Whaddya want for nothing?

A Rubber Biscuit?

https://youtu.be/jYyBZE0kBtE

A cheap or especially "free" boat is usually very poor value, since the acquisition price is just one (very small part) of overall ownership costs.

Of course you need a trailer, price of a haul out, truck to pull the trailer, place to put the boat, etc.

in order to take advantage of all the **incredible** bargains out there.

Don't just advertise asking for "charity", be pro-active go hunting, hang out at the big marinas, get to know the guys working in the yards, even volunteer.

Lots of Boat Angel deals go for under five hundred or so.

If you can't afford that, why would you want one?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 05:46   #89
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

To answer the OP.

The US being much less well regulated, means it is easy to get away with owning a boat irresponsibly, ignoring safety and environmental issues.

Many boats still on the market here would have been scrapped decades ago in the more civilized countries.

Same with mobile homes (caravans).

It should be a major crime to just abandon property like that without properly paying for its disposal cost, but only states in major crisis like Florida have started to tackle the problem as they have been doing for decades in the rest of the developed world.

Yay "freedom"!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote