Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2014, 08:47   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Florida Law Enforcement ie; FWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I also suspect that an older, more ragged, boat might be "profiled". Once I saw a Cigarette boat painted flat black with no bright chrome or stainless.
Black on black name on the transom? BAILHAULER DRUGRUNNER KACTHMEIFYOUCAN IHATEALLCOPS TAXDODGE
Old 19-01-2014, 08:57   #62

Boat: Skookum 53'

Everyone knows that the flat black cigarette boats have the best drugs, they are at wholesale and haven't been stepped on yet.
Old 19-01-2014, 11:33   #63

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by heron237 View Post
Let me get this straight, you're a citizen and you must project an aura of fealty to them to be treated equally under the law
heron, like I said in my earlier post "it is what it is."
If you want to equate it to someone being subservient, so be it.
On the water or on land if you are in their jurisdiction, under existing laws you are required to allow them access to your vessel, vehicle, and your person if they request as part of an investigation. Trying to resist said investigation by quoting specific rights and laws will only exacerbate ones situation and could lead to confiscation of property and arrest of person.
A lot of things have changed since 9/11 and it's sad to say but some of our liberties may be gone forever.

Old 19-01-2014, 12:53   #64

Boat: islandpacket

Ni

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 19-01-2014, 13:11   #65
Marine Service Provider

No ciTizen should act uppity to officers and no officers should be arrogant or pushy or disrespectful toward citizens. However long before 9-11 I belIeve that the courts ruled that on a boat a law enforcement officer had more authorityt to stop and insPect a vessel than he would have had in a person's house because a boat poses a flight risk. That is my recollection.
Old 19-01-2014, 14:44   #66

Boat: islandpacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
Ni

Sorry my first butt text.

Wow!... and here I thought it was a negative expression from some esoteric low latitude dialect! I think we should let it stand!
Old 20-01-2014, 07:39   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
But your saying that someone can be submitted to a body cavity search, without being arrested and charged with something? Surely that has to be a violation of Civil Rights?
Yes, it would be a violation of your civil rights. If it were ever to happen (I've never heard of such a thing) then any good attorney could set you up for life with the payment that agency would have to fork over.

Of course, there are all sorts of anecdotal stories about this happening (usually to the brother of a cousin of someone you talked to who met someone...), and there are people who believe that it happens "all the time" (even though it doesn't).

Nonetheless, the point is that arguing on the side of the road (or out in the harbor) with a guy who has a gun and a badge is a stupid thing to do. Be polite, respectful, and compliant. And then if they go over the line you sue the hell out of them later on. That's how you "argue" with a guy who has a gun and a badge--in court, after the fact, with your lawyer doing the talking.
Old 20-01-2014, 07:46   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
Sorry my first butt text.

Wow!... and here I thought it was a negative expression from some esoteric low latitude dialect! I think we should let it stand!
I just thought he was a Monty Python fan.
Old 23-01-2014, 04:38   #69

Boat: Formerly MacGregor Venture 22, now a landlubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Nonetheless, the point is that arguing on the side of the road (or out in the harbor) with a guy who has a gun and a badge is a stupid thing to do. Be polite, respectful, and compliant. And then if they go over the line you sue the hell out of them later on. That's how you "argue" with a guy who has a gun and a badge--in court, after the fact, with your lawyer doing the talking.
Reminds me of some relatives of mine. They were out for a sunset "booze cruise" on their pontoon on an inland lake in South Carolina. SC DNR stopped them and wrote them a ticket for a running light being out or something similar, one of my uncles started running his mouth about his daughter and son in-law both being lawyers and blaw blaw blaw. The officer looked at him, then drawled "Sir, we ain't gon try this case on the lake bank, I don't care if all yuns is lawyers".
Old 23-01-2014, 04:57   #70

I agree. A future judge's ruling is not something to bank on, and you really don't want it to come to that, do you? Most of us just want to be left in peace to continue the last heading we set. When confronted with government personnel either here or abroad, it's usually best (except in the case of shakedowns for payola in foreign venues, where feigned ignorance and language issues are worth a try) to be cooperative and helpful. Be polite, have nothing to hide, and be willing to prove it, and you'll pass through the system with minimal hassles; and that's what we all really want, no?
Old 23-01-2014, 05:33   #71

Boat: Skookum 53'

Take the ticket, smile and say, "Thank you, have a nice day officer." Take your argument to court, there is no percentage in arguing with issuing officer.
Old 23-01-2014, 12:08   #72
CLOD

Boat: none

Over the years of reading CF I've noticed that the same people seem to get "checked out" by the harbor police, FWC, CG, Homeland, etc etc over and over.

Maybe we should start a data base to find what they have in common so we do the opposite.
Old 23-01-2014, 12:25   #73

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Over the years of reading CF I've noticed that the same people seem to get "checked out" by the harbor police, FWC, CG, Homeland, etc etc over and over.

Maybe we should start a data base to find what they have in common so we do the opposite.
I wonder if people in those 150' mega yachts ever get harassed by the local cops? If not then I say we are getting discriminated against for not being uber rich. Can you imagine a zodiac demanding a mega yacht to heave to?
Old 23-01-2014, 12:50   #74

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

Only if the 50 cal on the bow is locked and loaded and shooting a few rounds across the bow
Old 06-02-2014, 14:38   #75

Send a message via Yahoo to woodymr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

Over my years of living Iv'e noticed "most" of the closed minded sheeple out number me and I continually am profiled and harassed by the same. Sailorboyee you sound like a cop. At any rate it's like life, you post something or voice an intelligent observation only to have folks belittle you to appear more significant than they really are. Such is the state of ......Today I was stopped in my 7' dinghy with a 4 HP motor on it by sheriff boat with 3 300 HP motors and acused of speeding! I was threatening the Manatees they claimed as they checked my "papers". Don't get me started with your ignorance.....
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, men