Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2013, 20:11   #196

Re: Couple Flees America, Gets Tax Payer Rides Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
Heres the part of the story I'd like explained:

Wonder what was going on there?
First you say this. Are you genuinely interested?

Quote:
Did they start spouting off some religious nuttery and the capt of the fishing boat thought "Screw this, I'm not listening to that crap for the next week". Not rendering aid to the distressed at sea is pretty much unheard of.
Then you say this. Why did you spout off with this? Of all the things you could had said, why was this worthy of saying? Let's pull back to think that perhaps much ado is made of their faith yet the fact is they were on a boat...sailing...across an ocean. IOW, how short sighted to look to their faith and demean them for it yet ignore the fact they were sailing upon the open ocean.

Would your opinion be different if their faith never entered into the story, that if the story was instead reported as 'family of sailors rescued'? I think yes. And that makes you, and everyone else who spoke in kind, a bigot with an agenda. Perhaps you don't have an agenda, perhaps you're just jumping on the bandwagon. In that case, you are unthinking.

Perhaps the next report of sailors in need of rescue should instead focus on their personal lives and what they believe. Goodness, I can hardly believe the tripe I've read in this thread. Actually, Boatman seems to be the most rational. Anyway, I'm just thankful to God that no lives were lost.

It's so easy to bash the Christian faith. That doesn't make it right. Your ability to do so in an open forum is due to the true tolerance instilled through the tenants of Judeo-Christian principals. That is historical fact if anyone should want to increase their knowledge of such things. Try your brand of intolerance under other faiths. Good luck with that.
Old 14-08-2013, 20:19   #197

As for rendering assistance at sea; Twice I have had altercations with other vessels to which the USCG refused to respond.

Once was a Jap longliner several hundred miles north of Kauai in international waters yet within range of a C-130. The longliner fired a zipper across our bow from a distance of about 2 nm. I'd seen them in port, those are .50 cal mounted on their bows. I'd even seen a 5 inch cannon mounted on the bow of those long liners while in port at Honolulu. Generally, a foreign vessel firing on A US documented vessel would be cause for alarm, or so I thought.

The other time was a Vietnamese in US waters took pot shots at us from a few hundred yards. He scored direct hits in the house with his .22. I contacted the USCG with name and commercial number (plainly visible) of the aggressor vessel. A few minutes of no response I called again. They advised to standby. That was the end of it. They never came back, no response, nothing. A complaint filed with USCG Long Beach just disappeared....

I should clarify. Following the end of the conflict in Viet Nam, the US fed govt conferred legal resident status on VN citizens, literally by the boat load. They were well set up by the govt. Many optioned to become commercial fishermen. The US govt set them up with new boats with all the gear.
Old 14-08-2013, 20:27   #198
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
As for rendering assistance at sea; Twice I have had altercations with other vessels to which the USCG refused to respond.

Once was a Jap longliner several hundred miles north of Kauai in international waters yet within range of a C-130. The longliner fired a zipper across our bow from a distance of about 2 nm. I'd seen them in port, those are .50 cal mounted on their bows. I'd even seen a 5 inch cannon mounted on the bow of those long liners while in port at Honolulu. Generally, a foreign vessel firing on A US documented vessel would be cause for alarm, or so I thought.

The other time was a Vietnamese in US waters took pot shots at us from a few hundred yards. He scored direct hits in the house with his .22. I contacted the USCG with name and commercial number (plainly visible) of the aggressor vessel. A few minutes of no response I called again. They advised to standby. That was the end of it. They never came back, no response, nothing. A complaint filed with USCG Long Beach just disappeared....
Jap longliners,crabfising Flips, Jesus,Joseph and Mary man,those are both as bigoted as it gets,like calling someone the word that causes so many problems in America(USA )
Old 14-08-2013, 20:28   #199

Quote:
First you say this. Are you genuinely interested?

Then you say this. Why did you spout off with this? Of all the things you could had said, why was this worthy of saying? Let's pull back to think that perhaps much ado is made of their faith yet the fact is they were on a boat...sailing...across an ocean. IOW, how short sighted to look to their faith and demean them for it yet ignore the fact they were sailing upon the open ocean.

Would your opinion be different if their faith never entered into the story, that if the story was instead reported as 'family of sailors rescued'? I think yes. And that makes you, and everyone else who spoke in kind, a bigot with an agenda. Perhaps you don't have an agenda, perhaps you're just jumping on the bandwagon. In that case, you are unthinking.

Perhaps the next report of sailors in need of rescue should instead focus on their personal lives and what they believe. Goodness, I can hardly believe the tripe I've read in this thread. Actually, Boatman seems to be the most rational. Anyway, I'm just thankful to God that no lives were lost.

It's so easy to bash the Christian faith. That doesn't make it right. Your ability to do so in an open forum is due to the true tolerance instilled through the tenants of Judeo-Christian principals. That is historical fact if anyone should want to increase their knowledge of such things. Try your brand of intolerance under other faiths. Good luck with that.
I am genuinely interested in what could have caused the captain of that fishing vessel to not render assistance to another vessel in distress. I could care less about Christians nor any other sky wizard worshippers choose to do with their free time. They are free to believe whatever they desire. It's their free time to do with as they see fit.

Perhaps it was because they were American and he was Venezuelan? Whatever it is, I'd truly like to know.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Old 14-08-2013, 20:40   #200
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Oddly enough, I've seen more Christians helping other people than atheists.

So, there's that.

And yet, oddly, I have seen people of all sorts of persuasions helping other people. I've known religious people who were one arrest away from a long prison sentence. I've known "Christians" who sincerely believed that they could do whatever they wanted as long as they sought forgiveness after (and they weren't Catholic).

I'm not a Christian but I've helped a lot of people.
Old 14-08-2013, 20:42   #201
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I think you guys who think communism was so peachy keen, need to meet some more people who had to live under it. Any places that people will risk getting shot or drowned to get out of, usually aren't that great.

It was very serious business that usually ended with a bullet on the spot to try to move from East to West Germany. I know a Cuban immigrant who came here when he was 18 -- on a homemade raft supported by 55-gallon drugs.

On the way they passed similar rafts capsized and one where everyone had died.

He doesn't think communism is all that great.
Old 14-08-2013, 20:43   #202
cruiser

Quote:
Wow, I have not ever seen such ignorance contained in one place whether on an internet forum or in real life. You people are so disconnected from reality. Group9 speaks truth.

It is so easy to bash Christianity. Irony of all irony is you seem to not recognize you do so under what has been given to you through a Christian heritage. "cultural wreckage"? Sure, that is your personal opinion but is that also your personal guilt?

Wow, just wow.

What about Judaic heritage? Where do you think Christian heritage came from?
Old 14-08-2013, 20:56   #203
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I liked the 'Sky wizard warrior'
Old 14-08-2013, 22:10   #204

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post

I point this out because, just as Hillary's acrimonious diatribe was out of proportion to the event, my frustration at witnessing other people's frustrations is sometimes also proportionally out of whack.
My my. See what happens when I go work my 60-hour work week and then go work on my BOAT to get it SEAWORTHY so that I don't have to be rescued adrift. The thread explodes. And it's Hilary, not Hillary. But thanks for being so rabid in your rebuttal that you took the time to stalk my profile. My post was not abusive. Nor did I feel the need to make it a personal attack. It's a fact that MANY seem to lack personal accountability. The couple in question not only undertook an ill-conceived journey, they endangered their children. Then they expect the same government that they eschew to save them. It's hypocrisy. And based on the fact that they took children, it's criminal. I hope when they return to Arizona, they have some questions to answer. Peace out, Virgin Boy. It's unfortunate that you can't engage in debate without it becoming an "acrimonious diatribe."
Old 14-08-2013, 22:17   #205
o_q

I'm starting to see who likes who on this forum
Old 14-08-2013, 22:20   #206

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Thanks for the kindergarten exercise Jimbo...
So... your not American because America's a continent not a country... but you called yourselves the United States of America despite being less than 1/4 of the continent you've posted... frustrated earlier ambitions..?
So Mexicans, Columbians etc are by definition (according to you) Americans as well...??
WTF are we supposed to call you lot... Usians...
Boatie, you can call me an Aussie!

Anyone from N or S America is American.
If France called themselves the United States of Europe, would Germans still be Europeans?

Old 14-08-2013, 22:31   #207

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
The viciousness and insults and derision and scorn on this thread is really disturbing. I'm surprised the Mods have allowed it. All you enlightened intellectuals with your snide hostility toward Christians, insulting our reverence for God, insulting our intelligence and reason and even our sanity, insulting God himself with all those childish cracks about worshipping a silly fiction in the sky - and then it swerves into insulting each others' countries. I feel like I'm back in the schoolyard in junior high listening to the bullies trying to outdo each other with puerile mother-insult jokes. Oh grow up.
Old 14-08-2013, 22:45   #208
o_q

You don't need mods, God will punish the heathens. No need to get angry, right?
Old 14-08-2013, 23:44   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Jap longliners,crabfising Flips, Jesus,Joseph and Mary man,those are both as bigoted as it gets,like calling someone the word that causes so many problems in America(USA )
Yes, in deference to a more kindly, gentler society I should have typed Japanese.

I grew up with chinks, slopes, wops, and beaners. I was the 'soda cracker' because I'm so white. My bushy eyebrows are so blonde they cannot be seen from 5' distant. None of us took offense. We all got along. I recognize the difference between acquaintance and friend. I have few friends, it has always been that way. My best friend is a beaner, a son of an illegal at that. We kid all the time. I'm his token whitey. Funny stuff. My other long time friend is from Poland, or at least his parents are. He's intelligent, witty, and wildly humorous. I will always treasure his friendship. He's my dumb pollack and I'm the squarehead. Should I self-censor? But from my missive you take one word to call it a slight from which you deduce bigotry on my part?

When did people get so uptight that they don't see the larger picture?
Old 14-08-2013, 23:48   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Research the "Peace of Augsburg". History is fascinating. We have been this way before.
Closed Thread