Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2007, 06:41   #16

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
One piece of terminology used in the US I prefer is "sailboat" rather than "yacht". Always thought the latter pretentious for my little boat.
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 07:43   #17
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
In flying achieving the FAA qualification of ATP (Airline Transport Pilot) also allows you to call yourself captain. Lesser pilots are just pilots...
Just becuase you have an ATP does not qualify you to call yourself captain.
I had my ATP since 1984, but got my first "captain's job" in 86 flying left seat on DC-3s. When your pay-check says captain and when somebody else buys you the 4 stripes, then you are a captain...Or so you would think: The FAA calls you "Pilot in Command" and that is the official tittle. The co-pilot is the "Second in Command".

The US Coarst Guard calls you Master or Mate if you are licencensed.
Guys with the ticket calls themselfes "Licensed Captains". more as a qualification, rather to pump themself up I guess.

The only official "Captain's" title is in the military.
Old 26-06-2007, 07:52   #18

Clarification on the military use of "Captain": In the Navy or CG (not Army, AF or Marines) the rank of Captain is separate from the title of Captain. The title Captain goes to anyone in command of a ship. I was a Lieutenant and had the opportunity to be a Captain (got out instead). If I wanted the rank of Captain, I would have had to be promoted three more times. Likewise, Commodore is both a title and a rank. In rank, a Commodore is one rung above Captain, referring to a one-star admiral. But nobody will call you a Commodore unless you are in command of a squadron (several ships), which is commonly someone with the rank of Captain. I served on a ship whose Captain was a Commander and whose Commodore was a Captain. Clear as mud.

Brett
LtBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 08:05   #19

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
While I have never called myself Captain, in every Marina and Customs/ Immigrations office I have been in through out the Virgin Islands, Bahamas and the Southern East coast that is what they refer to the person in command of a boat... with or with out formal documentation. Similarly I refer to other "Captains" as Captain or skipper on a social basis until a less formal greeting such as mud bottom or anchor dragger or some such comical relief presents itself in the form of a nick name for close friends and cruising buddies some become.

In one marina I lived in several years ago in North Palm Beach, Florida... the parking spaces of boat owners had Commodore xyz painted on them while others only had the name xyz. It was just a fun thing but enjoyed by everyone.

I don't think us Americans are all that hung up over titles. It is just common usage in the boating communities to refer to skippers and captains as the person in charge of a boat and similarly refer to the wife/ companion of the skipper/ Captain as Admirals... or Goddess of the Sea, which usually is only fitting.
Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 08:21   #20

Boat: C&C 27
Ahh, seperated by a common language...

Down on the third coast calling yourself "Captain" generally means you own a nice flats boat, spend most of your time fishing for reds or specs, while a "customer" pays for the gas and bait and your wife supports the family.

pv
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 14:38   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
My Maths Teacher at High school was an ex Commander in the Royal Navy.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 14:45   #22

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
In Captain Ron there was a part of the movie where the Coast Guard hailed the Captain of the boat they were on. Captain Ron handed the mic to Martin Short, who was hardly a Captain, but as the owner of the vessel and in charge, was it correct to call him Captain.... curious
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 14:58   #23

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity
One piece of terminology used in the US I prefer is "sailboat" rather than "yacht". Always thought the latter pretentious for my little boat.
I always thought the little boat I have in the bath is a "sailboat". A real boat is a yacht.

Capn Darryl Magpie, rsole n charge SV Seafox
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 14:59   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_makai
Even though the captain may not be speciifically licensed (6-pack, etc) the captain is fully responsbile for ship operations and can be tried under the maritime courts. I don't think the phrase 'well I am not a licenced captain' will get the resposbile party out of an international maritime court if something goes wrong.

Bingo.

You own the boat.... you pay the bills for the boat.... your responsible for the boat and all consequences for what happens with the boat and last but not least you command the boat...

You are the Captain.

Now as for me, Im not exactly sure of how my friends and family would react if I suddently told them to start calling me Captain but I am fairly sure it would be painful and the moniker would remain as elusive as ever.

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 15:12   #25

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
When we race Insatiable, the crew all call me "skip" (I won't mention the things they call me when I pick the wrong side of the course). I am only "skip" because I own the boat and call the shots. I generally call the crew "ladies" (they are all blokes), except for Lisa, who I call "Sir".
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 20:27   #26

Boat: Morgan OI 414
I am concidered a Licensed Coast Guard Captain with 100 ton masters. I have rescued, towed and salvaged hundreds of vessels as a manager of TowboatUS for 6 years. I have seen it all when it comes to cruisers and recreational vessels in peral and alot of them in adverse sea conditions. I refer to folks on the radio as Cap or skipper, however I never refer to myself as Captain unless the Coast Gaurd refers to me as such.
Inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 22:37   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
"They designate me a Master (gee what if my last name was Bates)"

Nah. That title is reserved for the head guy at the bait shop. He's a master baiter.

I would say the frequency for use of the title captain is directly proportional to the size of the boat X the size of the ego.

If I had a USCG Master's I still wouldn't call myself captain.

I have known my good friend Bob for 15 years. Bob is about as down to earth as they come and quietly, wickedly smart. One day I found out that Bob has Phds in both Metallurgy and Mathematics. Bob is wickedly smart. We call him "doctor Bob" now and he blushes. We all like Doctor Bob.

Sean has "Professional Engr." on his business card after his name. Sean graduated school in 2003. We don't like Sean much...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 22:51   #28

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
What should you call the parliament when in session?
The mass debaters
Sorry
Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 22:53   #29

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif
"I would say the frequency for use of the title captain is directly proportional to the size of the boat X the size of the ego.

If I had a USCG Master's I still wouldn't call myself captain.

Nor if I had Master 5 in Oz, Then i'd probably feel the need to wear some dicky hat and blue blazer.

Dave
Old 27-06-2007, 05:29   #30

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
The titles of Captain and Skipper may be fitting or not but we all know who the Admirals are.( yes Dear) LOL
Lancerbye is offline   Reply With Quote