Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2015, 08:39   #1

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Boating Pet Peeves

I'm not anal retentive nor am I highly irritable but I have a small pet peeve that I'd like to get off my shoulders.
Taking oil level readings on dipsticks aggravate me because sometimes you simply seat the dipstick for a reading and sometimes your instructed to fully screws it back in place for a reading. I can't ever remember which to fully seat.
I think I'm supposed to just seat the dipstick for my clutch case on my 3GM30F.
You'd think that for something so important that there would be a universal practice for fluid level readings on all engines.
I have to look at the manual every time as there's not much room for error as my clutch case top fluid level mark is only about half an inch up the stick.
Guess I'll have to write it on the wall somewhere in my engine compartment along with all the other primitive cave markings.
I don't think it should be something that you have to memorize, my memory is shot.

Thanks for listening.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:49   #2

Boat: 44 footer
Re: Boating Pet Peeves

Paint pen...
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 19:06   #3

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Boating Pet Peeves

Long ago I had a 1986 Porsche 911 and I lent it to a friend one day.
He was kind enough to fill the tank and he also decided to check the oil for me.
Finding it extremely low, he added a couple of quarts.
He didn't know that on that engine, oil level is measured with the engine running.
Mechanic had to clean up quite a mess.
I would have a plastic placard made up if I were in your topsiders.

I like the one that says, flogging will continue until morale improves.

Why can't things remain where i carelessly left them?
Old 11-03-2015, 23:34   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

End of the Road:

Yup, hate it when memory fails. Definitely write it down in large, easy to read print, somewhere you can see it when you look at the engine. (We have a bulkhead forward of the engine for such postings.) Add to it as needed. No harm in reminders whatsoever! Besides, it's always good to check in case memory went south in a hurry for a moment.

Just so you don't think you're the only one with pet peeves, what I absolutely HATE is how the spin-on oil filter sits perpendicular to the block of the engine. When even a stupid twit can see that if it were vertically mounted, with a 90 degree adaptor, the silly blighter wouldn't leak all over the place when one changes the oil! Yes, we've created a fix for the problem, but it's LUDICROUSLY STUPID to have to do it! End rant.

Ann
Old 12-03-2015, 00:10   #5

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
End of the Road:

Yup, hate it when memory fails. Definitely write it down in large, easy to read print, somewhere you can see it when you look at the engine. (We have a bulkhead forward of the engine for such postings.) Add to it as needed. No harm in reminders whatsoever! Besides, it's always good to check in case memory went south in a hurry for a moment.

Just so you don't think you're the only one with pet peeves, what I absolutely HATE is how the spin-on oil filter sits perpendicular to the block of the engine. When even a stupid twit can see that if it were vertically mounted, with a 90 degree adaptor, the silly blighter wouldn't leak all over the place when one changes the oil! Yes, we've created a fix for the problem, but it's LUDICROUSLY STUPID to have to do it! End rant.

Ann
I share both of those peeves.Ann what did you do to resolve the oil filter?

Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:39   #6

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
........ what I absolutely HATE is how the spin-on oil filter sits perpendicular to the block of the engine. When even a stupid twit can see that if it were vertically mounted, with a 90 degree adaptor, the silly blighter wouldn't leak all over the place when one changes the oil! Yes, we've created a fix for the problem, but it's LUDICROUSLY STUPID to have to do it! End rant.

Ann
Apparently, it's cheaper to make it that way. And for some reason, an adapter to fix the problem is $500.

I tried the plastic bag trick but it didn't help much. I just bought some disposable aluminum baking pans and wedge one under the filter when changing it. The pan catches the oil and I can dump it when I'm finished.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:07   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Oil filter adapter, for $52
Derale Oil Relocation Kit for Multiple Engine Thread Sizes Derale Accessories and Parts D15748

Oh, and I don't think I have ever seen a screw in oil dip stick that you were supposed to screw in to read the level, all I remember you just stick in to read?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:24   #8

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

I have a weed whacker that wants the dipstick screwed in to read. This is not the marine model...
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:35   #9

Racers on port tack yelling "Racing" is much more disturbing to me than dipsticks.

Wait, they ARE dipsticks!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:38   #10

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
I'm not anal retentive nor am I highly irritable but I have a small pet peeve that I'd like to get off my shoulders.
Taking oil level readings on dipsticks aggravate me because sometimes you simply seat the dipstick for a reading and sometimes your instructed to fully screws it back in place for a reading. I can't ever remember which to fully seat.
You'd think that for something so important that there would be a universal practice for fluid level readings on all engines.
I have to look at the manual every time as there's not much room for error as my clutch case top fluid level mark is only about half an inch up the stick.
Guess I'll have to write it on the wall somewhere in my engine compartment along with all the other primitive cave markings.
I don't think it should be something that you have to memorize, my memory is shot.

Thanks for listening.

I have the same transmission. Just changed the oil a couple of weeks ago and today can't remember which way is correct.

I keep the service manual within arms reach of the settee where I sit right now. Thanks, now I gotta look and double check the level. :-).
Old 12-03-2015, 13:17   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The oil filter solution [thanks for the link A 64 pilot, there isn't enough room in the engine box, but it sure is tempting!]:

First, lots of newspaper, then fold up a curved bit like the bottom half of a pipe to channel it out of the engine box onto a waiting absorptive pad that is on top of more newspaper.

Then, speed, Jim tries to un-spin it fast, and I am waiting with the large funnel and the waste oil jug, so he pops it in the funnel that I am holding.

Mess still happens, but it's corralled, and soon bagged, and disposed of.

I have had dipsticks that were difficult to seat properly, a nuisance for sure.

But for racing, here's one. "Starboard! You A******e!"

"We're racing, and on starboard tack, too!"

"You're still an A******e!"

Sometimes racers behave poorly.

Ann
Old 12-03-2015, 14:13   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

1. Heads with No Operating Instructions for Newbies and Landlubbers

2. Newbies and Landlubbers Who Don't Follow Head Operating Instructions (especially about what NOT to put down the toilet).

3. Clogged Heads! (See reasons above!)
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 14:15   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

CLIP….

But for racing, here's one. "Starboard! You A******e!"

"We're racing, and on starboard tack, too!"

"You're still an A******e!"

Sometimes racers behave poorly.

Ann
Use of such mild language or endearments and nicknames may be ignored by the hardcore racers.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 14:21   #14

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post

Thanks for listening.
And the power steering pump on my truck, do you screw it in, or push it in? I just dont check it anymore...
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 15:01   #15

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

"Over & out."

If you're Out, you're Over!
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boating