Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 10:04   #31
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
Regardless of who was in the wrong,the act of whaling itself is wrong.Seems that species of every type are on the verge,and only man has the ability and responsibility to correct past wrongdoings.
I could not agree more!
Old 06-01-2010, 10:06   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
It has already been said but I will repeat this.

Let's leave whaling out and discuss the collision. We are not a political forum.

Thank you.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:38   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
If, as was reported, the crew of the smaller vessel was hurling projectiles at the larger vessel and deploying lines with the intent of fowling the larger vessels prop, then what responsibility does the captain of the larger vessel have regarding the safety or his crew and security of his ship?
If using water cannons does not work and he has no other means of defense...then is this action justified.
The intent of the whaling vessel was to kill whales.
What was the intent of the other vessel?
Was it to disable a vessel with crew on board?
Old 06-01-2010, 11:32   #34

Boat: Belliure Endurance 35
Send a message via Yahoo to DaveC
I agree with James S.

I hate the thought of killing a whale (unless the specific one happens to be trying to sink my sailboat at that moment). But what I hate more are thugs who use a cause like whale conservation as an excuse to conduct piracy on the high seas. If the anti-whaling boat was intentionally trying to disable the larger ship by fouling it's prop, or hurling projectiles at it, to me that's an attack, especially in the frigid antarctic waters. A captain is responsible for the safety of his vessel and crew. This includes the captian of the small attacking vessel. He should have never purposely approached the larger vessel to begin with. The anti-whaling vessel got what it deserved.

They're lucky the captain of the Japanese ship didn't turn around and finish the job.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:39   #35

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
I agree 100% DaveC, they got what they deserved. But...
If I were to try and defend the Shepards vessel I could always claim the water cannon obscured my vision and I was not able to see to avoid the impact, fault goes to the Jap boat. LoL
If I were the captain of the Jap boat, I'd go back to assist and then arrest them as pirates and take them to Japan... in a few months. LoL
Old 06-01-2010, 11:47   #36

What are the rules of the road regarding pirate vessels attacking you?

In general both captains are responsible to avoid collisions, but one vessel was clearly trying to interfere with the navigation of the other, that's why it was there in the first place. Either it was trying to be rammed, or it rammed itself into the side of a 500ton steel vessel with it's 1000 HP biodiesel engines cranking (as appears from the video), in either case it was captained by an idiot.

If I motor into the side of a supertanker, the collision is my fault, if I maneuver in front of a supertanker, come to a dead stop and she hits me...still my fault.

Still...too bad about the cool looking bat boat.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:00   #37
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Re read post 30 & 31
there is a lot more at stake than the 2 vessels here
Old 06-01-2010, 12:30   #38

Boat: PETERSON 44
I always thought that vessels engaged in fishing had right of way. Is whaling considered fishing. So lets assume this is a fishing boat and a crazy looking power boat with a pirate flag appears and acts threatening uhh is threatening. As a last ditch effort to save the vessel the fishing boat runs into the pirate boat. Got to think the fishing boat wins in court.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:35   #39

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
I always thought that vessels engaged in fishing had right of way. Is whaling considered fishing. So lets assume this is a fishing boat and a crazy looking power boat with a pirate flag appears and acts threatening uhh is threatening. As a last ditch effort to save the vessel the fishing boat runs into the pirate boat. Got to think the fishing boat wins in court.
Agree on all the other points but 'fishing vessel' needs to be trawling something and be restricted in her maneuverability I believe.

Sailndive
Old 06-01-2010, 12:45   #40

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
The BBC TV at 7pm UK time stated that ropes were being deployed to (apparently) disable the whaler.
It makes good TV, and publicity for those that believe in the cause, but achieved nothing in reducing whaling.
Some hopes for Global Warming.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:46   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdennyb View Post
If I were to try and defend the Shepards vessel I could always claim the water cannon obscured my vision and I was not able to see to avoid the impact, fault goes to the Jap boat.
Only problem with this argument is that with this having gone on for some time (the Gil being hit with the water cannon) the skipper of the Gil still pulled in close and the collision resulted. I'm not going to make any public statements about whether I think the Sea Shepherd folks are right in the way they are doing things or not, but if you go out and intentionally put your vessel in the path of another then a collision is eventually going to result. And the one Sea Shepherd spokesman saying that the Ady Gil was dead in the water before the collision should review the video, because it was clearly under power in the seconds prior to the collision.

Stay safe,

Jim
Old 06-01-2010, 13:37   #42

Boat: C&C Mega 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
I was told this also. And then, I had someone explain that the stand on vessel was the one with limited maneuverability.

An boat with a bunch of nets, trawling lines, etc attached will have it's maneuverability limited because of this, and should be given the right of way.

Sailboats are given right of way due to limitations on navigation imposed by there ability to point upwind, etc.

Supertankers can't turn on a dime (or even 12 football fields end to end) so stay out of there way. Same goes for tugs towing barges. Inability to point upwind is little excuse for being in their way.

But that's all pretty irrelevant when considering that the speedboat's intent isn't far from become marauders. I'd be really surprised to find any valid evidence that the whaler went to the South Pacific looking for the Bob Barker....
Old 06-01-2010, 13:43   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannago View Post
I'd be really surprised to find any valid evidence that the whaler went to the South Pacific looking for the Bob Barker....
Exactly
Old 06-01-2010, 13:44   #44

Boat: Irwin sloop
Talking

Both sides are completely wrong in what they are doing and I'm hoping they destroy each other in the process. But it's fun to watch the childish antics.
Old 06-01-2010, 13:49   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I respectfully disagree...one action seems to be offensive and one defensive.
Closed Thread