Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2011, 15:43   #1

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
Working While Living Aboard

I read a comment either here or another board that went something like this: 'Working while living aboard is kind of like being in prison minus the free weights and library." I'm sure the comment was made in jest, but since working while living aboard is exactly what I'm planning on doing for a couple of years, I would like to hear from anyone that has been living this type of lifestyle.Like most everything, I would imagine there are some pros, and cons? In another year I'll be eligible to start drawing a pension from a previous employer. My plan is to live aboard and work for a couple of years,sail as much as I can, save as much as I can, and then take off cruising full time some time shortly after my pension kicks in.I would appreciate any feedback from anyone that has been on a similar heading.

If I take the wings of the morning,and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me,and thy right hand shall hold me.
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 16:22   #2
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Working while living aboard

most of the places i worked want a warm body on site. even if they allowed telecommuting i did not have a reliable internet connection and enough room for associated equipment on a boat.
Old 17-08-2011, 16:32   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

My wife and I worked at our fulltime jobs for thirty years while living aboard and we've now spent about ten years living aboard while retired. I will be quick to say that not working is working for us, yet we did very well during all our years employed. It seemed easy to live aboard and go to work each day; however, I never was employed while living in a house,- is that easy?
Old 17-08-2011, 16:36   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Depends on what you mean by living aboard. If the boat is your static home and you go to work somewhere during the day, then no problem, you just have a different kind of home from the landlubbers.
- - When not working or on days off then heading out sailing is a fine way to get used to the boat and how it handles.
- - If you plan to "cruise" with the boat to distant and different places within your home country and do some kind of temporary work ashore, then - also - no big problems.
- - If you plan to cruise with the boat and do some kind of work "from" the boat like an internet/computer business then things get more complicated. Getting reliable internet and actually making money that way is not easy unless you are a whiz at that kind of stuff.
- - Leaving your home country and trying to work also raises a lot of complications about getting work permits and permissions.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 16:37   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

We initially lived in our non camper VW Bus while building our Westsail 32 Kit. We'd concentrate on finishing a section of the boat and move into that area. Finished the Galley first so we could save money cooking our meals instead of eating out constantly. The forepeack was next so we could move out of the bus and sleep on board. Rest of the boat got finished as the mood arose. I'd cover the finished areas of the boat with sheets while I worked on the unfinished parts. Made clean up way easy not having to eat or sleep in sawdust. Living in the still unfinished boat was like living in a mansion after the bus, which was also our only means of transportation.

We launched almost exactly a year from the date we started. Still hadn't installed the doors and drawers below or painted inside the cabinets. All other painting and varnishing was completed below. All exterior trim was done but we still had to install the bowsprit, boomkin, Tiller, deck hardware, step the mast and do the rigging.

The biggest negative was the pace of progress in finishing the boat slowed way down after launch. My wife had taken a full time teaching position to replenish the boat kitty and I started picking up boat jobs around the marina after we launched. The hours we devoted to the boat were cut down. Still, the biggest cause of the slow down was the pressure of getting out of the boat yard and into the water was off our shoulders. Took more time to do non boat activities and just layback occasionally, as well.

Probably the biggest factor living aboard,building the boat and working was our age. Wife was 28 and I 30. Amazing how much more adaptable you are when you are younger. We looked at boat construction and living aboard as an adventure with cruising as the reward. Now that we've doubled that age, wife's idea of ideal cruising boat is the Queen Elizabeth and London or Paris as the areas to explore. I'm still doing some cruising, solo TransPac, but can't get my wife interested in heading back south.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 18:01   #6

Boat: PAE, Mason, 44 - Music
Re: Working While Living Aboard

No problem, and a great way to get to learn all about your boat before you take her on a long trip. Just save some room for the suits and ties while working. Then convert that space to storage once you are ready to sail off into the blue.
ardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 18:06   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

I've written four books and countless articles while living aboard, and sometimes it isn't pretty, especially when Wonderblond is in the boat.

My advice: invest in the best noise-canceling headphones you can buy.
Old 17-08-2011, 18:10   #8

Boat: Tartan 30
Been working the last few weeks while living aboard, will continue for the next forever...

No suits and ties here. I come home dirty and ready to relax. Not a problem on the boat at all. I'd say it's not much different than at home except the smaller space to store stuff in.

I don't feel confined at all, and quite the opposite really. I always have boat projects in the mind, and I can even go sailing after work whenever I feel like it.

If you're in a marina, it's a no-brainer, you have hot showers and laundry just like home. Except you don't pay the water bill

Living in a small space is not for everyone. I can see how some people would complain... But if you understand that your dwelling is the smallest (and least important) part of your life, you'll do fine
Old 17-08-2011, 18:20   #9

Boat: 1999 IP40, Charbonneau

Interesting twist on this topic...my son is a West Coast based software developer. His productivity is through the roof while living/working on the boat as compared to constant interruption in the office. For the past year, he spent one month per quarter on the boat. This quarter, he's doing two months..guess it's a big project!

Bill
bchaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 19:30   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchaps View Post
Interesting twist on this topic...my son is a West Coast based software developer. His productivity is through the roof while living/working on the boat as compared to constant interruption in the office. For the past year, he spent one month per quarter on the boat. This quarter, he's doing two months..guess it's a big project!

Bill
I don't think productivity is the issue. It's the difficulty in landing a telecommute position. I personally think physically being at work is wasteful load of BS (if you can work from home)
Capt. lulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 19:35   #11

Boat: Tartan 30
Well of course! If we could all work from home, we would...
Old 17-08-2011, 19:40   #12

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
I work two days telework, and three on site. If is great way to tell if you can live in the space. If you can be organized it can be great. it was the best choice for me.

However, as someone also pointed out - connectivity is the key in most telework jobs - so make sure you can connect when choosing a marina. Two bars on the connection is going to get old quickly.

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 19:43   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefaa View Post
connectivity is the key in most telework jobs
If you can get a cellphone signal, you can connect. It may cost $60-100 per month, but it's not that difficult for someone with a job.
Old 17-08-2011, 20:24   #14

I live aboard and telecommute. My office is 3.5 hours each way. I drive in about twice a month for meetings. Besides that it is usually work from the boat in the morning, drive to the coffee shop at lunch, and work from there in the afternoon. It has for sure not hurt my productivity. I have no regrets about moving out of the house and onto the boat, and for sure I am spending a lot less money.

I did have connection problems from on the boat. I have the $60 / month cell phone modem Bash mentions. This used to be my primary internet connection, but since I bought a Ubiquity Bullet, I can now use the marine wifi realiably and the cell modem is now my backup internet connection.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 20:36   #15

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
This is a great topic and ironic because I was JUST thinking about thy comment and it's prison analogy today. (it WAS on this site) I plan on loving aboard while working part time (I'm a nurse and have done short term contracts and travel for years). I'm so glad to know it's not all that much like prison!!

Tags
living aboard