Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2015, 09:00   #16
cruiser

Re: When it's time to quit

It's never time to quit. Most have difficulty leaving a job to get started in time, but for most, it's the lifestyle that keeps them going.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 09:17   #17

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
It's never time to quit. Most have difficulty leaving a job to get started in time, but for most, it's the lifestyle that keeps them going.
The lifestyle is not making it any easier to crawl down into the Lazzerete or manhandle the starter.
Spending even more money would help extend things.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 09:22   #18

Boat: Skookum 53'

No one ever died saying "I wish, I would have spent more time at work.".
Old 24-07-2015, 09:49   #19

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

My Daddy always said, "when you are too old to cut the mustard you find a new way to lick the jar." When one door closes...soon...a new one will open.

I do not feel sad for this aged fellow. I feel happy for him. He had his run at it and now his time window has lapsed. It is life and no one escapes the degradation of strength and stamina as we grow quite old.

Good on you Captain for your help to this 'in need of' sailor. It shows your heart is still working.

Perhaps you could help him to understand it is time to let go and find a fresh pasture to graze in.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 10:01   #20

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Perhaps you could help him to understand it is time to let go and find a fresh pasture to graze in.
Yeah but he is planning to trade his boat for a run down trailer on a lot somewhere. Not my idea of a "fresh pasture".
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 10:18   #21

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat

dpddj has it right, go out kicking!

While I realize we have to accept some things as we age, it is often an excuse when the real culprit is not keeping ourselves in shape.

Watch the crossfit games, for the age bracket over 60, it's amazing. -- there are people over 70 in terrific shape -- of course that is all assuming they don't get cancer or MS or some other awful thing.

Hoping to be out there by age 68 (65 now). Have to wait until my husband sells the rest of his rental houses.
We realize we may only have 3-10 years of sailing due to getting such a late start, but it is better than nothing and we can retire to whatever island we decide when that time comes and still dive and fish. It has to be better than aging in the Midwest winters.
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 10:20   #22

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Yeah but he is planning to trade his boat for a run down trailer on a lot somewhere. Not my idea of a "fresh pasture".
The problem is that you may not have the options to pick a better pasture. There are limits to things. And even a boodle of money may not be enough to find a happier place. Not trying to sound defeatist or whatever but reality sets in once and a while. A run down trailer on a lot somewhere is luxury compared to what many have to deal with in their twilight. I totally understand what you are saying though. It sounds bleak.

We pushed off for Mexico when I was 55 and I was very happy that we were doing it then, i.e. when I was still healthy and had some (miniscule but some) resources to be able to take off from work. Lots of people called me crazy to quit working at that age. Ten years later I want to do it again, but this time with less money so it is harder. But (big BUT) I am now not as healthy as I was and I can see that there will be a time coming up where I won't be able to deal with the next storm or hole in the hull or crawling around the engine room for days doing routine repairs.

I am so happy the Admiral and I got to go when we did. And we may make it another 10 years on the boat but it certainly not guaranteed and the next pasture we find that we can afford will probably not be our ideal place. It might be good enough though. Having said all that we are blessed to have what we have and what we have done and to be a part of a great sailing community. Wish I had discovered it thirty years before I did.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 10:33   #23

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Guy, I understand exactly what you are saying. It wouldn't be my cup of tea either. This old gent had his time. He may even be able to get along for several more years. But his strength is weaning and mental capacity to deal with issues is diminishing. It happens to us all. But there will come a time when he has to either decide to let everything go or find another pasture to graze in...no matter what that pasture is.

I see people's medical problems every day of my working life. It is absurd how badly it comes to some people. The lucky ones die in their sleep or have a heart attack on the ski lift. But trust me when I tell you that no one knows their appointed time...not even the angels in heaven. So, this old gentleman's pasture ...and his finances will direct which pasture is fresh or sweet...or not
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 10:38   #24

I was just out at the EAA airshow in Oshkosh. I was struck - not for the first time - that old sailors are generally in better shape than old pilots. Boats demand more physical activity both underway and to maintain.

So hanging upside down in the bilge fixing the G*!&D*m float switch keeps me young

CarlF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 10:47   #25

Boat: Jeaneau, International 50
pirate Re: When it's time to quit

This is a great thread. I feel very blessed that I am starting relatively early (52) and the Admiral is 46. She is short selling the house she got in her divorce and I am renting my townhouse. We sold most everything we had and it feels great. My job allows me to work from the boat with an internet connection so we are starting our cruising life now. I have heard from so many that they wish they started earlier.

Now I just have to figure out how to get to the USVI from the Chesapeake traveling a few days at a time so I can save my vacation days or use vacation and sprint down in one long run.

If you don't quit you can't ever lose.
SeeMonstrEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 10:53   #26
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Great thread. Feels good learning from everyone's experience. Thank you each and everyone.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 11:15   #27

I always see my life as chapters. I have been sailing offshore off and on for over 35 years but I like nice long breaks (as in years) in between to either go flying or motorcycling and if not that then something else might fit the bill. You can get sick of ice cream if you eat too much of it. As far as getting to old to sail, well there are a million other very cool things to dabble with before the store closes for the last time!
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 11:49   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpddj View Post
I met an old timer a few years ago who asked me if I had a tape measure. He stretched it out to 81. "Ya know what this number is? It's the average age a man lives to. I'm at 75 so I have six more years til I hit that mark." It is quite visual.

Of course, he was intending on going beyond that. But .. it struck home. I now have 15 years to that mark and this fall, after I liquidate all the equipment in my business, the boat and I head South, artificial knee and all.

I'm going out kicking, if I can have any say in it. And I look forward to helping out old timers I run into along the way. Won't be long and I'll be one.
I get your point, but I think average for the US is like 76?
He's closer than he thought
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 12:34   #29

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I gave up full time sailboat ownership a while ago due to combination of physical health limitations and logistics. It was a hard decision but the right one. Since then I've chartered once with friends and explored some other adventures that for a long time had taken back seat to cruising.

I will always appreciate my 17 years of sailboat ownership, but there are other adventures as well. Who knows, maybe someday, when logistics change, I'll own a small trawler.

What's important to me is living life to it's fullest. Sailing has been a great way of doing that, but it is not the only means.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 13:02   #30

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
When it's time to quit

When I am no longer capable of maintaining a sailors life, I hope spend my time on a pretty trout stream that I am fond of. I tie a mean Griffiths Gnat.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.