Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2013, 12:19   #31

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: What is it? Cruising and Liveaboard Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanssouci View Post
1971 - Was there aboard a blue 40 sloop called YOHOHO. (Norman and Elaine), cruising and with construction management contract USTT. We stayed about 3 months, got our fill of plutonium 235 and glass balls.
G'Day again SS,

Well, you predate me a bit. I was first at Eniwetak in '73, and then a number of trips to Bikini starting in about '79 IIRC. Did you run into any of the crew from Lawrence Livermore Lab while you were there? Chap named Bill Robison was the head biologist and crew leader... lots of very interesting people doing an interesting job (environmental monitoring, sampling and cleanup, plus studying how to best make it habitable for the Bikinians). Fantastic diving... reefs and wrecks! And fishing... no one had fished the waters for about 40 years, so even I was successful!

Only one yacht visited during any of my visits, and he was from Kwajalein, so was sorta in under the radar. It would be very interesting to me to return.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 24-08-2013, 13:31   #32

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Were these glass balls formed by the nuclear testing? Do you have pictures of them?
Formed by fishermen as glass floats w/ nets.
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 13:44   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I think the worst (best?) artifact added to Insatiable since we left is about 10 lbs of really stunning fossils that we picked up in New Caledonia. They are totally unsuited for life on a performance cruiser, but I can't bear to chuck them!

Cheers,

Jim
Have you ever visited Australia? Me thinks they will promptly confiscate them...
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 13:45   #34

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day again SS,

Well, you predate me a bit. I was first at Eniwetak in '73, and then a number of trips to Bikini starting in about '79 IIRC. Did you run into any of the crew from Lawrence Livermore Lab while you were there? Chap named Bill Robison was the head biologist and crew leader... lots of very interesting people doing an interesting job (environmental monitoring, sampling and cleanup, plus studying how to best make it habitable for the Bikinians). Fantastic diving... reefs and wrecks! And fishing... no one had fished the waters for about 40 years, so even I was successful!

Only one yacht visited during any of my visits, and he was from Kwajalein, so was sorta in under the radar. It would be very interesting to me to return.

Cheers,

Jim
We predated the Livermore Lab people, we were alone on Bikini. Do you have any health issues today? Never saw so many big Tiger sharks in my life. Coconut crabs were very hot. All public info now!
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 14:13   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Have you ever visited Australia? Me thinks they will promptly confiscate them...
Have I ever visited Oz??? Well, yeah, I have! And so have the fossils. One AQIS agent had a fit, but when I showed him that they were just fancy rocks he let them in. They've been in and out many times overall, sometimes in plain view, sometimes not. So have my wood carvings from the Sollies, and shell necklaces from various island groups, and stuff like that. Sometimes the quarantine weenies have a good look at them, but so far they have been passed... kinda miraculous now that I think about it!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 24-08-2013, 14:20   #36

Quote:
We predated the Livermore Lab people, we were alone on Bikini. Do you have any health issues today? Never saw so many big Tiger sharks in my life. Coconut crabs were very hot. All public info now!
Well, you may have missed the LRL folks, but you didn't predate them in '71... they have been there regularly since the testing days (during which a different group of LRL folks were definitely there!

And no, for an old fart I'm pretty healthy, despite a career as a physicist at that lab. I was intimately involved in the sampling and rehab programs at both island groups, and actually know something about the hazard levels there. Suffice it to say that I had no worries about the radiation hazards, but the sharks were pretty scary at times. Didn't keep us out of the water,but we were a bit cautious!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 24-08-2013, 15:58   #37
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Formed by fishermen as glass floats w/ nets.
Ohh those things are beautiful! You ever see what Dale Chihuly did with that idea? Gorgeous.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 16:25   #38

I have a Rungu that I picked up in Kenya back in the 1980's. It's a club the Masai use to kill small animals. They throw it or use it as a club. I keep it by my bunk at night in case a small animal or a large one should come on board. Might also be useful for knocking out a fish that you land while trolling too.
Old 24-08-2013, 18:21   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We hang our glass fishing floats on our mizzen shrouds......

We keep the red float to port and the green to starboard!
Old 26-08-2013, 18:48   #40

Hey Capt. Force ,
Do ya remember me , [ your brother ]. I have been without internet for a long while .
What happened to the old gang ?
Capt. Bob
Oh by the way , our sister Beulah , gets out of prison next week . She told her parole officer that she was gonna move in with you ! Nice of ya !
pistarckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 19:01   #41

Boat: a sailing boat

Plenty. We basically took the stuff we had and moved onboard.

Most useless must be our collection of soft toy animals: we took the ones we had at home ... then we adopted another dozen while traveling. ;-) I love them and I would not go without.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 08:16   #42

Boat: Beneteau 473
A stuffed iguana. It was given to me by a plastic laminate manufacturers rep. He is made up of a patchwork of bright color, that I think represented some new line they were rolling out. He sat on top of my computer at work for years, it just didn't seem right to leave him behind. He now sits on top of a cupboard in a corner of our salon.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 08:55   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Although, as I posted earlier, we moved aboard with everything we owned except a large set of dishes; we have added some items that are not functional equipment. Here's one.....

It's a "Forcula"! A brace for the long oar used by a gondolier that is wedged into the gunnel of a gondola. I guess it's technically boating equipment, but not really functional for us.
Old 27-08-2013, 09:02   #44

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Although, as I posted earlier, we moved aboard with everything we owned except a large set of dishes; we have added some items that are not functional equipment. Here's one.....

It's a "Forcula"! A brace for the long oar used by a gondolier that is wedged into the gunnel of a gondola. I guess it's technically boating equipment, but not really functional for us.
Could be very useful mounted on taffrail with a long oar. It is surprising how efficient they can be in moderately calm waters.

Tags
cruising, liveaboard