Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2020, 07:29   #46

Boat: S&S 40
Re: What boat would you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuru05 View Post
My wife, our 5 year old daughter, and I are about 2 years from almost full time cruising and we still go back and forth about which boat to start aggressively looking for. I know there are dozens of threads out there asking "what boat should I buy" so I'm not going to ask that. I am, however, looking for some ideas about boats we've never considered (or even seen before) and your reasons why they are great.

So if you had a budget of around $225-$250k for purchase and refit which boat would you buy and why?

Edit: couple of extra details, we are looking for a sailboat, we will likely stick to warm climates and would like to be able to do major crossings occasionally.
There are plenty of older yachts on the market for halve of your budget. I would not spend 250k on my first boat unless you know what you want. All boats are somewhat a compromise in one way or another. The only way to learn what one needs in a boat is to own one and use it, every cruiser /sailor has his own preferences .
Good luck
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 08:58   #47

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

You don't choose the boat. The boat chooses you.

You can do all your research, and identify your perfect boat, but unless there's one for sale in your region there's no point.

So...you know your criteria...now follow all the boats for sale in your area (within your budget).

Don't spend so much $. Expensive does not mean better.

Don't look for a project boat...if you do, that's what you'll find. Look for a perfect boat, turnkey...and that will have enough projects to keep you busy for a year at least.

Think like a sailor. Don't compare a sailboat to your house/condo. That's how couples end up with a 50 yacht, broke, when they should have bought an Albin Vega 27 and lived happily ever after.

And finally....Pearson, Hallberg-Rassy, Swan, Cabo-Rico 38, Whitby 42, etc.

Best of luck to you, and PLEASE report back here to let us know what you eventually buy!!!!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 14:47   #48

Quote:
The Jeanneau 469 is on our short list, we looked at the 45 but the forward cabin was a little too small for out liking. The 469 has the same forward cabin as the 50 so it was very comfortable (need to escape the kid sometimes). The hard part is finding a 469 in an owners version, I looked a few days ago and there are like 2 on yachtworld and they are $50-70k more than the charter versions.

Out of curiosity why do you say to avoid the DS, we were already avoiding them but I'd love to hear your take on what's wrong with them.
I'm not by all means experienced but somehow in a similar situation and if you allow me to share what I have learned so far...

The Jeanneau's are probably more of a coastal sailboat. People cross oceans on them, but surely they won't provide you with the safest or most comfortable ride on big seas.

You seem to be looking at a new(ish) boat, but I would also consider good reputation boats as old as 25-30 yrs (especially from sellers that have been doing overseas sailing and therefore more likely to have a well-prepared boat).

The sails in a Ketch rigged boat are smaller and therefore easier to handle. You might need to add some extra maintenance to your budget but probably not a significant difference.

I mostly agree with avoid buying a too big boat, but unlike others suggest, you will certainly have two pair of hands to help, your daughter is not a baby anymore and in two years time she will surely be able to handle herself just fine without a "mum" looking after her 24/7.

I suggest you look at displacement/Ballast, and other values on sailboatdata.com as can give you some valuable indications.

Trying not to repeat other already mentioned boats, I would definitely consider the Contest 46 if I had your budget (mostly available in Europe tho): https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/contest-46

Just to share some important bits that I would love in my boat:
- A strong Solid/integral Keel (not just for robustness under way but also to keep afloat if or when you run aground).
- Centre Cockpit (Centre of the boat is possibly where there is less wave motion).
- Cutter (Cruisers tend to sail mostly downwind, a cutter sounds like the one to me).
- Skegged-Rudder (for extra robustness/protection).

Good luck finding her!
bmonteiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 07:35   #49

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cobbe View Post
Interesting a lot of those boats have wood decks. Wood decks great really toasty
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 11:57   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by akopac View Post
Interesting a lot of those boats have wood decks. Wood decks great really toasty
Teak decks are bad news

Unfortunate it’s hard to find boats that don’t have teak decks
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 14:43   #51

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Teak decks are bad news

Unfortunate it’s hard to find boats that don’t have teak decks

When we got our Morgan the deck was powder blue. It even got too hot to walk on. I painted it white. No problem now.
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 09:38   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
For three people, there is no reason you need to jump to a cat, especially given your price range.

Given your price and if I was forced to pick ONE boat, I'd seriously look at an Amel Santorin. 46 feet, they are running $135k-$150k. They are robust world cruisers, with lots of room for a family of three, and you get $100K left over to refit and still put a big deposit into the cruising kitty.

Not a lot of them in the USA, but they are not at all rare in the Med.
Ah I see it's the old Amel game, no black water tank (The bane of the lazy American), but all the parts and accessories available from Amel at a price even the paisley napkin in the same print that ship originally with the boat in 1986. Sorry a $150,000 boat that you can't use the toilet while in US waters nah you could have made a better choice like a Pacific Seacraft 37 for example.
jayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:20   #53

Boat: Buchanan Prior 10.4m

Quote:
My wife, our 5 year old daughter, and I are about 2 years from almost full time cruising and we still go back and forth about which boat to start aggressively looking for. I know there are dozens of threads out there asking "what boat should I buy" so I'm not going to ask that. I am, however, looking for some ideas about boats we've never considered (or even seen before) and your reasons why they are great.

So if you had a budget of around $225-$250k for purchase and refit which boat would you buy and why?

Edit: couple of extra details, we are looking for a sailboat, we will likely stick to warm climates and would like to be able to do major crossings occasionally.
Three observations:

1. You don’t need to spend that much money. You can get a perfectly good boat for half that amount. Keep the rest for your cruising kitty.

2. If you own a boat already, it may be better to fit that boat out for cruising than to buy another. If not, consider how big a boat you can handle (the bigger, the harder). 12-14 metres (36-42 feet) is a reasonable size for two to manage.

3. If you plan to cross oceans, go for a boat with a traditional long keel. They are more sea-kindly. An Ocean Packet, perhaps; they are very solidly built.
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 10:47   #54

I live in San Diego and have been looking for a cruising boat for the last 9 months (purchasing May 2021) I have looked with several brokers and they are all more than eager to show you boats if there is a chance you will buy through them. and most all boat shows offer trips out though you do have to contact the right people to get scheduled.

I would personally recommend Leilani Wales of Cruising Yachts 360-621-4682 extremely helpful, energetic, and knowledgable (lived on a boat). She truely goes out of her way to help you! I am certain she could setup views of many many boats for you to look at if you were to plan a short vacation to San Diego. It is very possible she could help you with other locations as well.

Hope this helps and good luck! Maybe we can meet once we get our boats!

Mark
Zephyrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 12:20   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
For three people, there is no reason you need to jump to a cat, especially given your price range.
You don't "need" to but given the budget, you certainly "can". Certainly no need to increase your budget and something in the 35-40ft range should be fine. If anything think about cutting the budget.

Keep in mind, a comparable cat will be a few feet shorter than a mono to get the same space. if you are in the mid 30ft range, getting slips and haulouts isn't an issue (keep in mind big 50ft plus monos with deep drafts can limit slips and haulouts also.

Being able to set things down with a 2yr old and come back to them can be a huge benefit. Also cats, even small ones allow for a separate cabin to be set aside for the munchkin.

But as mentioned, what will you be doing has a lot of impact.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 16:20   #56

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Having researched yachts the same as you are doing for the past few years when I had to quit sailing on a Swan 47 I have identified the next boat I will get after I have had my double hip replacement surgery which is now postponed thanks to th current panademic situation I won't go near a hospital.

The builder I have selected is Cabo Rico. Their yachts were included in Ferenc Mate's "The Worlds Best Sailboats" Vol II. The yachts are built in San Jose Costa Rica. From reading your ideas I think you could look at either the 38, 42 or 45. They are built like the proverbal "brick s**thouse.

The boats are designed for a couple to crusie so you would have no problem with the 45. I have attached a link for you to see what I mean. As you intend to be a live aboard the extra space will be appreciated especialy with a young child (My personal opinion)

https://sjyachts.com/yacht-details/?...t-Cabo-Rico-45

If you like to send me a private message I can put you in touch with Fraser Smith the owner of the company who can explain far more about the Cabo Rico range than I can. I can also email you the Ferenc Mate review on the Cabo Rico yachts. It exceeds the space allowed by Cruisers Forum fo attached PDF files.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 18:03   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post
Having researched yachts the same as you are doing for the past few years when I had to quit sailing on a Swan 47 I have identified the next boat I will get after I have had my double hip replacement surgery which is now postponed thanks to th current panademic situation I won't go near a hospital.

The builder I have selected is Cabo Rico. Their yachts were included in Ferenc Mate's "The Worlds Best Sailboats" Vol II. The yachts are built in San Jose Costa Rica. From reading your ideas I think you could look at either the 38, 42 or 45. They are built like the proverbal "brick s**thouse.

The boats are designed for a couple to crusie so you would have no problem with the 45. I have attached a link for you to see what I mean. As you intend to be a live aboard the extra space will be appreciated especialy with a young child (My personal opinion)

https://sjyachts.com/yacht-details/?...t-Cabo-Rico-45

If you like to send me a private message I can put you in touch with Fraser Smith the owner of the company who can explain far more about the Cabo Rico range than I can. I can also email you the Ferenc Mate review on the Cabo Rico yachts. It exceeds the space allowed by Cruisers Forum fo attached PDF files.

That's a good looking boat but a swim platform is not negotiable for the wife.
nuru05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 18:24   #58

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
That's a good looking boat but a swim platform is not negotiable for the wife.
I was of the same thinking/desire as your wife. However after reading about the number of boardings in the Caribbean and the advice that sugar scoop sterns make it too easy for would be pirates/theives/muggers to board the boat I have chosen to opt for the safety angle and have a very large ladder that can be hung over the side an stored topsides. Check Noonsite for information on boardings in various locations in the Caribbean. I am also sure there is a thread here covering this aspect of cruising.

I know a lot of cruisers have this type of stern but if there are two boats at an anchorage one with the swim platform...one with high transom: which will the boarders choose?
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:42   #59

Boat: Jeanneau 27

I am convinced when I hear someone say I sat my beer on the counter and didn't have to worry about spilling it has never actually been on a cat. The motion is flat and different but it can get quite Jerky.
outbound_308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:24   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound_308 View Post
I am convinced when I hear someone say I sat my beer on the counter and didn't have to worry about spilling it has never actually been on a cat. The motion is flat and different but it can get quite Jerky.
That has been my experience, both on sail and power cats. They sail (or power) with almost no heel but do have a motion that can be very uncomfortable to some.

Punching into certain size waves can make for a very jerky motion. Running with waves at a certain angle can make for a weird, lurching corkscrew motion. Not saying it's worse or better, just different but you can't say cats sail calm and quiet all the time.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat