Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2020, 19:51   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: What boat would you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuru05 View Post
Do you have any examples of boat shows that offer demo sails? We went to both Annapolis and Miami this past year and I didn't see that at either.
Very rare to see test sails offered, especially at boat shows. Too many tire kickers.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 20:16   #17

Boat: Simpson 40 Catamaran

The group of demo sails I went to was in connection (although I don't recall if it was an "official" connection or simply put on by the manufactures concurrently..) with Annapolis Boat Show about a decade ago.

The reason I gave that recommendation was simply because of how memorably helpful it was for me, but I learned it looks like I got really lucky to have had that opportunity and demo days with multiple manufactures are few and far between unfortunately... I remember that it required pre-registration with each of the respective manufacturers and was focused only on sailing multihulls (such as Gemini, TomCat, Leopard, and Lagoon) as opposed to monohulls. Sorry to get your hopes up, it's a real shame that is not more common at boat shows..
Old 10-03-2020, 08:27   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Vancouver 27

I also don't think you need to double your budget. I'm also a bit amazed at how big most of the boats being suggested are. Tho maybe it's because you listed your budget at $250k.

You really don't need something close to 50' to be comfortable. Tho if that's what you know you want, then great.

In a lot of ways, something smaller and simpler will allow you have more time to just go cruise and enjoy it.

If we were raising a young family onboard and in the market for a new boat, personally we'd be looking at a 36-42ft. A quality build and a reputation for being a decent sailer. The Pacific Seacrafts come to mind.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:21   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

if i had to redo this issue i would buy exactly the boat i have--a solid heavy deep keeled tradewinds sailing delight. yes 2 masts for best balance and elegance and comfort under sail and motoring.

https://sksolitarybird.org/
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:37   #20

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Double? I think $250,000 is plenty for buying and fitting out a cruising boat. I spent almost $100,000 less to buy a 42' Pearson and add all new everything except the engine and mast. To be fair that's only direct boat costs and doesn't include mooring, docking, storage costs but still.
I was answering a question what I would do. Evidently, that is exactly what I did when I was entertaining an idea of buying a boat with a $200k-250k budget.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:45   #21

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
I also don't think you need to double your budget. I'm also a bit amazed at how big most of the boats being suggested are. Tho maybe it's because you listed your budget at $250k.

You really don't need something close to 50' to be comfortable. Tho if that's what you know you want, then great.

In a lot of ways, something smaller and simpler will allow you have more time to just go cruise and enjoy it.

If we were raising a young family onboard and in the market for a new boat, personally we'd be looking at a 36-42ft. A quality build and a reputation for being a decent sailer. The Pacific Seacrafts come to mind.
OMG What a lot of nonsense 50ft for 2 and and a half people , bouncing about the boat , double budget ?
I will try and be brief $45000 for my pure 42 ft moody Ketch $20000 spent over the years , going full time in 2 years with wife and daughter and dogs, I will spent another $10000 for this , i,e sails some other tinkering , this boat sleeps 8 3 cabins 2 heads and sits 10 around the table , I have more space than I know what to do with
Oh I know put more junk into it
Your Budget is great you will find your dream boat no problems its a buyers market, do not get hung up on shiny new and sparkling , this does not make it sail better , electronic that are 5 to 10 years old work fine, get the rigging checked, engine looked over , sails etc these are important , and for the life of me do not worry about experience , this comes by doing it not reading on here
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:50   #22

Location: Homeport : Port Owen , Cape West Coast , South Africa . Currently cruising .
Boat: SHEARWATER 39.

I feel a little uncomfortable promoting our Shearwater, but she ticks all the boxes in as far as a solid bluewater cruiser should be. She is fast, sails really well particularly if the wind is forward of the beam and is fully equipped for long term cruising.
If you would like to find out more about her, email me at allan.windward@gmail.com
Old 10-03-2020, 11:11   #23

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

San Francisco...temperate or tropical? I would contact brokers in Tortola (BVI), St Martin (hoth Dutch and French sides) and Martinique. These islands have huge selections of used boats, not all charter boats. I did it and found the brokers more than happy to take out a boat or two a day, just to get out of the office and on the water. Figure on a week in each locale, you have time, so maybe one a year. Go out on their offerings, both mono and multis. Be sure to go out into an inter-island open ocean passage and sail to windward for a bit. See how your wife and child adapt to the motion and space aboard. No sense buying something that is great at anchor, but slow and wet when going to weather. Tell the broker that you will be doing all the sail handling the first couple of years, with your wife steering during sail hoisting and handling, then try it on each boat the broker recommends. Either actually try or really imagine what it will take to get your wife, child and bags of groceries onto the boat from a dinghy, while at anchor. Enjoy the search, the water and headwinds are warm and the ends of the islands can have surprisingly brisk winds and waves.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:18   #24

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

You have a generous budget, IMHO. With just 2 adults and one kid, you don't need a huge boat. 35-40 feet should suffice. Smaller boats cost less to buy and to own, are easier to handle, and need less "stuff". Personally, I found my Pearson 30 to be huge with only 2 or three people aboard.

I've sailed extensively with my 2 kids, especially when they were little. They don't need much stuff or much space. But I feel strongly they do need their own "space". I let my kids have the vee. It was cozy for them, they were out of my way, and they had a safe place to be when things got hairy (thunderstorms or big waves). For one kid, a pilot berth (upper bunk in the main cabin) would also work.

If you wanted to really go small, a Westsail 32 could work. Maybe a Whitby 42, Contessa 35, Corbin 39, Alberg 37, or a Cabo Rico if you can find one.

IMHO, you don't choose the boat, the boat chooses you. Look at all the ads for local boats and see what's available. Then expand your search to boats within a reasonable driving distance. It continues to be a buyers market for older boats, many of which have had total refits. For example, anything that has been re-powered with a BETA Marine engine should be considered...its a good sign its a decent boat!

You mention Lake Superior...so I'm guessing you are in the USA near the great lakes. Freshwater boats on the Great Lakes are often in much better condition than their salt water counterparts. And the low canadian dollar certainly works in your favour too.

In conclusion, I suggest you spend less. It will allow you to think about the sailing/adventure and not worry about scratching the boat. It will also give you a bigger cruising kitty, which gives you more options all around.

Best of luck to you, and I hope you remember to report back here to let us know what you choose.

PS. Get a full body climbing harness for your kid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3430.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	439.5 KB
ID:	210421  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:25   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
OMG What a lot of nonsense 50ft for 2 and and a half people , bouncing about the boat , double budget ?
I will try and be brief $45000 for my pure 42 ft moody Ketch $20000 spent over the years , going full time in 2 years with wife and daughter and dogs, I will spent another $10000 for this , i,e sails some other tinkering , this boat sleeps 8 3 cabins 2 heads and sits 10 around the table , I have more space than I know what to do with
Oh I know put more junk into it
Your Budget is great you will find your dream boat no problems its a buyers market, do not get hung up on shiny new and sparkling , this does not make it sail better , electronic that are 5 to 10 years old work fine, get the rigging checked, engine looked over , sails etc these are important , and for the life of me do not worry about experience , this comes by doing it not reading on here
This is good advice. I like this guy!
Old 10-03-2020, 12:29   #26

Quote:
.......looking for some ideas about boats we've never considered (or even seen before)...
How do we know which boats you've seen or considered and which boats you haven't??
Shrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:30   #27

Quote:
We already sail about as much as possible, we do several trips up to superior a year (generally a few 3 or 4 day trips with the occasional week) and we have a 20' O'day that we sail at the local lake on most weekends. Even though it's a little boat we feel it's pretty good experience since the lake is surrounded by bluffs so it goes from 6kt winds to 30kt gusts pretty regularly. We are stuck in our current location due to contracts with our employer and the availability of daycare (need family for nights and weekend shifts)

I don't see us changing our plans since we have been saving for this for almost 14 years, we've just bounced around a lot on how we can fund it. The main reason I'm asking for other options is because we have narrowed our list down to about 3 boats but there isn't a lot of variety available to charter on superior so I figured while I have the time I want to look at all our options.
An interesting question as it is one I've been dealing with myself. Originally I had my heart set on a Hallberg Rassy 46' circa 2000, As I continue to look and ponder I'm beginning to change my mind when I see ads like this
https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/...a-440-6885725/. Not only is this a great boat, but it's about $100,000 cheaper than the Hallbergs of the same age and it has no teak decks (which scare the hell out of me) The downside of a Cat is you need to be ready to cruise, as storing it somewhere can get expensive real fast.

That said, I think the best boat would be the best value you can find within your criterion.
joelhemington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:31   #28

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
What boat would you buy?

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/valiant-40-200-235

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/westsail-32

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/cal-43

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/cal-36

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/pearson-40

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/pacific-seacraft-37

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/ranger-37

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/yamaha-36

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/j40

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/columbia-36

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/pearson-36

The kid needs a berth of their own in the main cabin, pilot berth would be best, quarterberth would be good. Settee that gets converted during the day, nope, it needs to be the kid’s space all the time.

You need another good berth in the main cabin for the off watch adult: pilot berth, quarter berth or or settee. Dinette is not going to work well, too much effort to convert nightly. Also you need a seat in the main cabin for the on-watch adult to sit at.

Regarding size, you probably want to limit it to about 40’ LoD, bigger is more living room but also more boat to wrestle with short handed during a storm.

L&LPardey flew down to view and report on the Xmas-1982 debacle in Cabo San Lucas where an unexpected gale put 29 of the 45 anchored there on the beach. Their observation echoed by other observers there was that a couple could handle a boat up to about 37’ and they really needed another person if the boat was much bigger. Better technology may alleviate this a little bit but not that much. I can tell you which book of theirs they discussed this in if you are interested.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:49   #29

No need to sail on ugly boats

Plenty of beautiful ones around
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9DC90C7C-7786-4C76-93E1-0854662B85B8.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	210424  
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 13:53   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
No need to sail on ugly boats

Plenty of beautiful ones around
Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. I used to think the Tanzer 22 was an ugly duckling...until I owned one...and realized its true beauty.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	T22.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	210431  

Tags
boat