Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2014, 10:47   #16

Boat: problems found before signing now looking at other sailboats
Re: Took the first and Biggest step and got a 1975 Irwin 10-4 today :)

also need to find/make a sturdier more solid cabin hatch/door with a decent lock setup on it maybe some kind of deadbolt key lock
miller83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 10:54   #17

Boat: Bristol 35

Nice looking boat/future home! If you make it down to the gulf look me up, I'm currently in the Mobile Bay area. I am currently shopping for a boat similar to what you've got- small but big enough to live aboard.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 11:03   #18

thanks biker..wait till i get her painted and such def will stay in touch on here i know at some point after i get comfortable with her i wanna start doing some cruising but time will reveal that one lol this was one of the first boats we found,we looked at a few others that were cheaper but looked to be in far worse condition than this one and when looking at the specs for this i liked it was wider than most of its size between 25-30 foot range we set. at around 10 and a half feet across which gives it more space and from what i read a little more stability and more forgiving to beginners also im 6'3 and cant stand fully but barely have to stoop in the cabin and i have been in a dodge b250 conversion van staying with the gf for the past year and have less standing space and space in general in the van so the irwin is like a trailer to me lol
Old 26-08-2014, 11:13   #19

Don't forget to start that blog- would love to follow your progress. I am looking at the bilge keels- I like the idea of being able to let it beach for hull cleaning, repairs etc without the need to haul out . Our eventual goal is to cruise FL, Bahamas etc. where a 5' or less draft is important too. Do you have any ideas on the water catchment system? I want to do that as well, I'm wondering if the first bit will need to be used as just a rinse to remove debris and salt. A diverter valve? not sure where to set up the catchment or what to use. Rain barrels are great on a house but no gutters on a boat so not sure how to go about it......
Old 26-08-2014, 11:13   #20

and was living in the van two-3 years before i met her as well so to the sailboat i say... HooaH! though i guess i should research the navy equivalent since i was army lol a army man on now a captain of a sailboat can someone say irronic lol
Old 26-08-2014, 11:37   #21

im thinking i may start a thread on here for it or just keep it going on this one. hmm bilge keels interesting i like it ours has been modified from what i can tell from factory the irwin 10-4 had a retractable keel for transport and such and this one is definatly permanently in place and larger which i like because from my research give more stability and such which i am all about...i like your idea of a bilge keel and beaching it to clean but for me i will sacrifice that for stability plus i have no problem jumping in and cleaning it afloat...heck may make a bit of extra cash cruising cleaning people who dont wanna get in for like 15-20 bucks or something cause i enjoy stuff like that lol hmmm rough idea out of the air is getting or cleanly manufacturing a Bimini type encloser of some sort,at the low points of the side edges cut 1 inch across and almost the length of both ends but cutting so all sides have a slight flap,use pvc pipes of according size and cut section out to match cuts on bimini so that flaps fold into pipe and adhear somehow the maybe use a marine caulking or some sort so make it leakless i would attach them to framwork of bimini,at aft end of pipe put a screw in cap so to clean any gunk or suck out just un attach tank hose from fore end and hose out,i would put a debris screen in hose where it attaches to pvc end,and run line as covertly and hidden to tank,also since hose can be detached when not needed it can be stored...just off the top of my head lol
Old 26-08-2014, 11:40   #22

for cleaning it take back cap and remove hose in from and put end cap in front...after reading that part it didnt make sense and i wrote it lol
Old 26-08-2014, 11:45   #23
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller83 View Post
i am now happier than i have been in many years
you should print this out and mount it in the cabin of your new boat
Old 26-08-2014, 11:48   #24

i just may
Old 26-08-2014, 12:20   #25

I am not looking for a specific boat but hoping THE boat will show up. I am keeping certain "wants" in mind though. I read the bilge keel if stable- designed for rough UK waters- but slower than keel fin. Again- give and take. I have been thinking on the water catchment and was thinking sort of along the same lines. I guess it will depend on the actual boat. Was thinking of making the bimini useful for water catchment. I ahve also thought about the possibility of making money cleaning bottoms.......boat bottoms!
Old 26-08-2014, 12:20   #26

been emailing the seller about things (not putting the boat in the water till we can clean,paint,and repair it cause it will be far easier for most things and impossible for others if it is put in like painting the outside but any way have been thanking him the whole time and i just got this email from him today recently:

No problem,

I had a few calls and let them know the boat is under contract so she is all your. You will really enjoy the waterfront life.

Sooooo... ... oh yeah (Doing the Happy dance)
Old 26-08-2014, 12:25   #27

lol i know what you meant brother....i dont mind doing jobs others dont like doing themselves but i have my limits...if it has to do with the head unless it is mine im not touching it lol of course by head i mean toilet and system attached to it lol i have tought about eventually converting mine to composting toilet and somehow pull sewage tank out and replace with more water storage or fuel or small tanks of each
Old 26-08-2014, 12:30   #28

so many options lol its like legos or ar15 rifles...so many options! lol i know first thing i want to do is get a plotcharter device thinking a lowrance,then another solar panel it has one already,a small cheap gas generator for backup power in emergency or for repairs when no power is there...these will all be bought over time after main things are done (painting,new lines,ect) and its paid off
Old 26-08-2014, 12:32   #29

way down the road is where remodeling the head and such will happen cause im not sure if im up to removing the tank and such just yet lol first learn the boat,learn to sail,then go all home improvement on it minus the crazy accidents lmao
Old 26-08-2014, 12:40   #30

I am also contemplating composting head. I have been looking into self sufficient living prior to decided to go live aboard and composting seemed the way to go on land, not sure about at sea but seriously considering it- my price range will be cheap boat I can fix up unless I find a heck of a deal

Tags
Irwin, irwin