Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 13:01   #1

Boat: Beneteau 473
I Took Apart My First Head Today

Were is the GoPro camera when you need it? I swear I could be a YouTube millionaire if I had video of all the ridiculously stupid things I have done while doing boat projects! Today had a little different twist though.

We have recently changed the cats to ceramic litter pellets. The new litter pan is designed to have the urine run through into the drain below and the poop is scooped and disposed of in the toilet then the pellets are rinsed off once a day. Well when I scooped today's deposits I didn't realize some of the pellets were stuck to the underside, until I heard them clanking around in the bowels of my new electric head.

I can't leave the pellets inside and I am pretty sure the pellets made it through the first joker valve but think they are trapped in the tube before the second joker valve at the waste tubing that goes to the holding tank. So I start dismantling the head. I do in fact find two pellets there and am really proud of myself.

I show hubby what I have accomplished and he too is very proud of me (probably relieved he didn't have to do it. As I start to put everything back together, my husband points to the joker valve on the waste tube and suggests (since I had everything apart) I should pull it out and inspect it. OK.

I can't decide if what happens next qualifies as a Kodak Moment or a Master Card Priceless Moment ... However, the picture is definitely 'worth a thousand words'.

I was sitting on Homer (my new bucket) in the shower stall when I pulled this bonehead move. Hubby was shocked, appalled and pretty much speechless -- well except for "oh, oh, ohhhhh!" Six to seven feet of waste tubing can hold a lot of disgusting stuff. Add some gravity and let the fun begin! I also found another five pellets in the aftermath!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2004926048.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	375.2 KB
ID:	63671  
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 13:52   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: I Took Apart My First Head Today

Shitty day.
Old 06-07-2013, 15:10   #3

Boat: Laguna 33

Never a bucket handy when you need one.
Saqqara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 15:14   #4

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

oh, oh, ohhhhh!

The hard way to learn physics.

I feel for ya.
Old 06-07-2013, 16:25   #5

Boat: 45ft Ketch

If I was him I'd clean it up without a word.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Shitty day.
That would sum it up pretty well!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 08-07-2013, 06:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqqara View Post
Never a bucket handy when you need one.
Unfortunately I was sitting on it at the time! But, really everything came out so quickly (whoosh) I don't think the bucket would have helped.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
oh, oh, ohhhhh!

The hard way to learn physics.

I feel for ya.
The crazy thing is that we had talked the night before about how the waste piping will always being full because everything has to go up to get into the holding tank. You can be sure I won't forget and do that again!
Old 08-07-2013, 06:31   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

The stick picture is FAR BETTER than GoPro video could have EVER been!

Thanks for sharing!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:35   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
If I was him I'd clean it up without a word.
He felt really, really bad. He didn't offer to clean it up though. He did offer to turn on the water so I could clean it up, but since that was disconnect too, I politely declined the offer. 95% ended up on the shower which helped a lot. I don't think (even when the boat was brand new) the bathroom has ever been so clean as it is now -- and disinfected!
Old 08-07-2013, 06:37   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

this is how to learn to clamp hoses before removal..could be a truly shitty day to have to clean all that up..ouch..i am glad my holding tank is lower than head....whew...

i am gad i learned the fine art of clamping hoses in a setting in which i had the utensils and capability to clamp off nasty body fluids before changing systems attached to humans...smaller hose, but same effect...eeps....you get an award, smartmove....gag....

i use clumping litter for my cat---they actually have that in mexico, so bubba doesnt have to undergo any changes in lifestyle
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:37   #12
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin

I'm not sure we'll ever take our cats with us on the boat but if we do then they'll all have to learn to use the head like the rest of us!

knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:08   #13

that red fluff ball looks like a red bubba..lol..awesome smart cats---he can learn...lol..even tho i haven t tried to train bubba to toilet--i would love it if he would learn the toilet trick...would save millions on litter....
Old 08-07-2013, 07:09   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i use clumping litter for my cat---they actually have that in mexico, so bubba doesnt have to undergo any changes in lifestyle
Fortunately, Lilly and Chloe are taking to the change in litter really well. We were using crystals previously. The up side to this system is we do not need to carry a bunch of heavy litter.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:13   #15

smartmove--i like to use the clumping stuff as ballast in my already too much lightened boat...but i cannot carry over 1000 pounds of it to make the difference in this barge...i have to make up the difference with zincs and stuff....and mebbe larger fuel tankage..lol
have you tried to grow lawn grass for kitties yet--if so--dont let it get sea water wet--it dies.....lol