Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2012, 15:12   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: SHTF and Boats

Thanks for the thread topic.

Yes we consideed SHTF in buying and keeping a boat.

Some other sites you might be interested in include...

Peakoil.com
Look for a current thread on favorite sites and

Sensible Simplicity and the associated forum.

http://sensiblesimplicity.lefora.com/

Jay Fitzgerald is an interesting guy and sailor. He wrote about sailing a engineless Ingrid.

This fellow has some well reasoned thoughts...

http://www.paulchefurka.ca/#Articles

And for any who are truly interested you may want to consider this IMF paper...

http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/...2/pdf/text.pdf

I notice that where you live greatly effects your take on the risk assessment. I live in a large center city district surrounded by ghettos. For now. Thus my main fear is financial collapse that causes those relying on government largess to go foraging.

We have a blue water boat we keep in the water and use as a weekend cabin. It has a supply of food and 275 gallons of water. This summer I took the boat around Newfoundland, solo, that is remote enough for me.

We have property in Canada sufficient to keep is alive, but it would be a hard thing to develop it. But at least we have a place to go.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 16:17   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Unsurprisingly the EOTW has been covered on a few threads over the years.........

I dunno about the Mayan Calender, but I'd be more worried about what is in the Kolob Calender for next month .
Someone has been brushing up on their Joseph Smith! Nicely played
tookish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 16:52   #48

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Heron View Post
During a SHTF, the very ability to pull in lines and anchor could save your family. You won't have to go far. But you will have to deal will have to deal with pirates. That means you better be armed.
what about the KILLER Sunami ???
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 16:59   #49

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Inevitable in a thread about "preppers", as guns are what "prepping" is all about. The whole thing is just a convenient excuse to purchase a huge armory and play with it. Personally, I need no such excuse, just do it for fun...
I ran into a workmate from 15 years ago............

He is now a prepper and designates X percent of each paycheck to buying "prepper" food. He has a lot of food. He asked me about guns as he doesn't know about them. That is a short easy answer so I asked him about water.

That's a tough one.
Old 22-10-2012, 17:53   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Well, for any given point of view there are those who go to extremes. Exercise is good, but you don't have to run marathons or become a body builder. Nor is it good to lay on the sofa forever. Same with prepping.

Nothing wrong with doing your preps. You have life insurance don't you? Same with preps.

Keep it on balance, keep it real, it's all good.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 18:21   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Yesterday's Daily Read:

The Good Old Days are Over

it will be interesting to see the usa economy transform from a "profit" driven economy to a "need "driven one,
funny thing is your average "prepper" is probably as anti commie as they come,
a bit of a contradiction in terms as the society the shtf folks propose is pretty close to the one karl marx espoused/envisaged!

macarthy eat you hear out,ya got red's under the bed!!!!!!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 18:57   #52

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I ran into a workmate from 15 years ago............

He is now a prepper and designates X percent of each paycheck to buying "prepper" food. He has a lot of food. He asked me about guns as he doesn't know about them. That is a short easy answer so I asked him about water.

That's a tough one.
Not when your boat is at a salt water dock in your back yard and it has lots of solar and a Spectra...

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 19:09   #53

Boat: O'Day 28

You got it going, SM.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 19:13   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates
Best to stop worrying and enjoy what time we have left. The world is 'scheduled' to end Dec 2012. if I remember correctly, that's when the Myan calendar runs out.. Not long to go...

I am worried! I found out yesterday that MY calendar ends on December 31, 2012 too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll

it will be interesting to see the usa economy transform from a "profit" driven economy to a "need "driven one"

I'm not afraid of the US moving to a need society- we produce enough food to feed us if we don't send it around the world. I have plenty of seeds to grow my own food too.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 19:15   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
I am worried! I found out yesterday that MY calendar ends on December 31, 2012 too!!

I'm not afraid of the US moving to a need society- we produce enough food to feed us if we don't send it around the world. I have plenty of seeds to grow my own food too.
no worries then...........comrade
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 19:16   #56

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird View Post
A few years back, when I was building our vacation cabin, I was exchanging ideas and advice on cabin building on an online small cabin forum, and the SHTF was mentioned by quite a few people in regards to their cabins. SHTF is when the "-hit hits the fan" an expression for the so-called impending collapse of civilization as we know it. Hoarders and "preppers" have been around for centuries, always convinced that the collapse is imminent, but to be fair, the concept is beginning to cross from the fringe, and more into the mainstream. Now people are also pointing out how lucky we will be to be able to live on our boat when SHTF. Although I don't subscribe to the SHTF end of the world scenario, it strikes me as prudent to have a small emergency kit at home as well as on the boat. Are other boaters preparing or planning for the possibility of living aboard during a severe downturn? Some refer to it as a "bug out" plan.
I have been working on building a 1950's style teardrop camper for the past year. I am active on a couple of forums with teardrop builders and as a group most of them also seem to be into the tiny house/cabin movement.

Conversations come up all the time centered around using the teardrop as a bug-out vehicle. All kinds of scenarios come up, but usually it has to do with severe weather, especially among the teardroppers in the midwest and southeast.

As you say, the idea has entered the mainstream. My husband and I have discussed it from time to time. Not just in response to a social emergency or economic collapse, but what if something happens to your home? A fire, flood, whatever. Having a second home to retreat to is not a bad thing. Or you lose your job and maybe your house? Or you lose your job and need to relocate for another. As long as it's in a coastal area the ability to take your house with you is a huge benefit.

I think it's viable and we always kept a certain amount of staples and supplies aboard. We were mostly looking toward being able to take off for a short cruise at a moment's notice, but also would serve the purpose of emergency preparedness.
Old 22-10-2012, 19:26   #57

Quote:

no worries then...........comrade
LOL!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 19:32   #58

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
How the Greek Debt Crisis works !

It is a slow day in a little Greek Village.

The rain is beating down and the streets are deserted. Times are tough. Everybody is in debt. Everybody lives on credit.
On this particular day a rich German tourist is driving through the village. He stops at the local hotel and lays a €100 note on the desk, telling the hotel owner he wants to inspect the rooms upstairs in order to pick one to spend the night.

The owner gives him some keys and, as soon as the visitor has walked upstairs, the hotelier grabs the €100 note and runs next door to pay his debt to the butcher.

The butcher takes the €100 note and runs down the street to repay his debt to the pig farmer.

The pig farmer takes the €100 note and heads off to pay his bill at the supplier of feed and fuel.

The guy at the Farmers' Co-op takes the €100 note and runs to pay his drinks bill at the taverna.

The publican slips the money along to the local prostitute drinking at the bar, who has also been facing hard times and has had to offer him "services" on credit.

The hooker then rushes to the hotel and pays off her room bill to the hotel owner with the €100 note.

The hotel proprietor then places the €100 note back on the counter so the rich traveller will not suspect anything.
At that moment the traveller comes down the stairs, picks up the €100 note, states that the rooms are not satisfactory, pockets the money, and leaves town.

No one produced anything. No one earned anything. However, the whole village is now out of debt and looking to the future with a lot more optimism. And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is how the bailout package works!
Brilliant!!
Old 22-10-2012, 19:48   #59

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I was a Boy Scout back in the '50's.
The motto was (and still is) "Be Prepared".

Duh !?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 21:01   #60

Boat: 1984 Johnson Boatworks Inland Scow, 20' and a 1975 sailMFG Bandit 19 Pocket Cruiser
Quote:

it will be interesting to see the usa economy transform from a "profit" driven economy to a "need "driven one,
funny thing is your average "prepper" is probably as anti commie as they come,
a bit of a contradiction in terms as the society the shtf folks propose is pretty close to the one karl marx espoused/envisaged!

macarthy eat you hear out,ya got red's under the bed!!!!!!
Not often I run across someone that actually gets what Marx espoused.