Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2012, 15:54   #31

Re: SHTF and Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Heron View Post
During a SHTF, the very ability to pull in lines and anchor could save your family. You won't have to go far. But you will have to deal will have to deal with pirates. That means you better be armed.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 16:35   #32

Boat: Heritage East 40
Stop flirting with me pottie boy...
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 17:20   #33

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Fish hooks no good either - when SHTF everything will be very heavily polluted.

Cans, corned beef, etc.. that's what we need then.

Stock on long-life staples.

b.
Twinkies! Twinkies! you forgot Twinkies.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 17:30   #34

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
Twinkies! Twinkies! you forgot Twinkies.
Where are you, you spongy, yellow, delicious bastards?
Old 21-10-2012, 17:33   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Heron View Post
Stop flirting with me pottie boy...
lol
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 17:49   #36

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Yesterday's Daily Read:

The Good Old Days are Over

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 18:11   #37

Boat: O'Day 28

Good read so far. I get a news letter like weekly that repeatedly suggests the $16 trillion owed by the US is already enough to sink us, and predicts the SHTF moment will come in the next 2-3 years. Gotta agree with Micah on how it's going to play.

Where to go for those of us who can?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 20:43   #38

Boat: Cape Cod Shipbuilders Bullseye

The most likely SHTF is when the European Union and EURO zone falls apart. This will cause a crash of many of the "Too Big to Fail Banks" in the US. This would cause a quick SHTF This would cause a crash in the US Bond market too. It would likely cause the electronic banking system to come to a halt. Imagine what happens when no one can use their plastic card to get gasoline, Gas stores can not get delivery of gasoline cause they can't do bank drafts upon delivery. Walmart can't process any plastic payment from customers. IF they can not get the banking system up and running within a week, then the power grid becomes at risk of going down. This is the greatest danger. We were only a few hours away from a banking freeze up of our money system in 2008.

If this happens, it is best to be heading for open water towards a place where the local people don't care if the corner ATM machine works or not.

Personally, I might not head for open water, but instead go to farmer friends and load up a couple of tons of grains and then sail to some rich gated communities on the waterfront and sell them fresh ground whole wheat flour for their sterling silver heirloom flatware. Do the math, ten silver forks will buy a ton of wheat now, and could be sold as flour for 350 forks later. That works out to a $10,000 profit per ton. Should be able to buy plenty of hired guns to help for that kind of profit. How many tons could your boat hold?
CCBullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 03:22   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCBullseye View Post
The most likely SHTF is when the European Union and EURO zone falls apart. This will cause a crash of many of the "Too Big to Fail Banks" in the US. This would cause a quick SHTF This would cause a crash in the US Bond market too. It would likely cause the electronic banking system to come to a halt. Imagine what happens when no one can use their plastic card to get gasoline, Gas stores can not get delivery of gasoline cause they can't do bank drafts upon delivery. Walmart can't process any plastic payment from customers. IF they can not get the banking system up and running within a week, then the power grid becomes at risk of going down. This is the greatest danger. We were only a few hours away from a banking freeze up of our money system in 2008.

If this happens, it is best to be heading for open water towards a place where the local people don't care if the corner ATM machine works or not.

Personally, I might not head for open water, but instead go to farmer friends and load up a couple of tons of grains and then sail to some rich gated communities on the waterfront and sell them fresh ground whole wheat flour for their sterling silver heirloom flatware. Do the math, ten silver forks will buy a ton of wheat now, and could be sold as flour for 350 forks later. That works out to a $10,000 profit per ton. Should be able to buy plenty of hired guns to help for that kind of profit. How many tons could your boat hold?
How the Greek Debt Crisis works !

It is a slow day in a little Greek Village.

The rain is beating down and the streets are deserted. Times are tough. Everybody is in debt. Everybody lives on credit.
On this particular day a rich German tourist is driving through the village. He stops at the local hotel and lays a €100 note on the desk, telling the hotel owner he wants to inspect the rooms upstairs in order to pick one to spend the night.

The owner gives him some keys and, as soon as the visitor has walked upstairs, the hotelier grabs the €100 note and runs next door to pay his debt to the butcher.

The butcher takes the €100 note and runs down the street to repay his debt to the pig farmer.

The pig farmer takes the €100 note and heads off to pay his bill at the supplier of feed and fuel.

The guy at the Farmers' Co-op takes the €100 note and runs to pay his drinks bill at the taverna.

The publican slips the money along to the local prostitute drinking at the bar, who has also been facing hard times and has had to offer him "services" on credit.

The hooker then rushes to the hotel and pays off her room bill to the hotel owner with the €100 note.

The hotel proprietor then places the €100 note back on the counter so the rich traveller will not suspect anything.
At that moment the traveller comes down the stairs, picks up the €100 note, states that the rooms are not satisfactory, pockets the money, and leaves town.

No one produced anything. No one earned anything. However, the whole village is now out of debt and looking to the future with a lot more optimism. And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is how the bailout package works!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 05:33   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rld-49277.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...way-35725.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rld-60978.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...val-11416.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 06:13   #41

Boat: O'Day 28

Thanks Gord.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 06:50   #42
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCBullseye View Post
The most likely SHTF is when the European Union and EURO zone falls apart.
Won't happen. Push comes to shove then the ECB will simply create even more money from thin air (even if no longer called simply printing money - it's the same thing)......whether by accident or design (I suspect the former!) the present approach of pretty much waiting until "the market" demands that the money be printed is a good way to proceed - doing that too early means "the market" gets an attack of the vapours .

My main concern is that not enough thought (and action) will be put into how things proceed in the future - whilst I am a confirmed capitalist, I don't like bowing down to anything....and that includes "the market".....IMO time for the tail to stop wagging the dog .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 06:54   #43

Boat: 1984 Johnson Boatworks Inland Scow, 20' and a 1975 sailMFG Bandit 19 Pocket Cruiser
All this tall of SHTF comes around my bicycle forums as well. All I can say is that reasonable prep for potential emergencie as and disasters in your living region is both fine and prudent. It's no more unreasonable than carrying paper charts and flares.

Prepping for a social collapse.....not so much. Any prep you do ties you to a physical location and that makes you vulnerable. Sieges, etc, and there will always be more of "them" than you. obiloty and invisibility are your best strategy.

Prepping for a remote region cruise fits that bill.
Old 22-10-2012, 07:19   #44

Best to stop worrying and enjoy what time we have left.

The world is 'scheduled' to end Dec 2012. if I remember correctly, that's when the Myan calendar runs out..

Not long to go...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 07:25   #45

Boat: Newport 30

I live in so. cal where the inevitable "big one" (earthquake) is just around the corner. I've always considered the boat a potential "lifeboat" for when it happens.

In fact, I was living aboard when the '92 (or was it '91?) quake hit & knocked out power, gas, water to 1000's of folks. We had to haul our own water for about 2 weeks until the city laid temporary lines..and having propane and a genset made things a lot easier than for my land-based friends.

I try to keep the water tanks filled & have a modest supply of canned & dried foods onboard, just in case. Authorities tell us we must be prepared to fend for ourselves for a few days & I've always considered myself to be better off in that regard because self-sufficiency is part of the equation when it comes to sailing.

When people ask about what I will do when the "big one" hits, I just smile & say "I think I'll just let loose the lines & go anchor on the backside of Catalina, for a few days"..partly in jest, but I could do it, if I had to.

FWIW
jerrymc is offline   Reply With Quote