Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2012, 11:02   #16

Boat: Cape Cod Shipbuilders Bullseye
Re: SHTF and Boats

I know what you mean about most sailors don't know which way the wind blows, and would not last a week. My brother has more sailing miles than I do, how ever, he would not last two weeks in a survival situation. He sails bouy to buoy and would freak if he was given 30 minutes to get his boat ready to leave dock and hit the high seas, with no hope to return. Earlier this year, his very old batteries and bad alternator left him drifting at the mouth of the Potomac River 15 miles from his dock and he called a tow service. He violated rule number one on inviting sailing guests, never leave dock if with someone who has a must get back by certain time schedule.

As far as guns, if you don't have them, don't tell anyone, if you do have them, don't tell anyone, observe the "triple S" (shoot, shovel, and shut up), so, let this be the last of it, somethings should not be talked about publicly.
CCBullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 11:12   #17

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Some will think that a 65# Manson or Rocna is better in the Zombie Apocalypse since you will avoid the need for the Double-Tap, but I would rather be able to keep swinging with a 10# or 15# Delta!

When the SHTF, I really don't think holding power is a good debatable point in decomposing zombie flesh!

Just my 2¢, and you overpaid at that.

(BTW, in the 80s, we were prepared for Red Dawn, and it didn't happen either. Not going to worry now!)
Old 21-10-2012, 11:12   #18

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Good Grief!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 11:16   #19

Boat: OEM, proportional

The shtf scenario isn't far fetched...and the great danger is not from bits of rock falling out of the sky, or the ice cubes melting. The danger is from the desperate masses deprived of their comfy hedonistic existences, which if you turn the power off for 48 hours and close the petrol stations, will strip the veneer of civilisation off and show us what's underneath. Not pretty. The danger is also from the self-appointed wise old elves, that have actually caused the mess, for a purpose; by incurring massive debt, destroying manufacturing, destroying self-sufficiency and morals, and the cultivation of the culture of dependence and comfort and entitlement. Anarchy is guaranteed, only when is not sure. The longer it holds off, the more amazing it is that it is still so rosy. All civilisations, all empires crash, and always from within.

Just having a boat won't be enough. Where it is located is important, especially if it is not your main home. How it is set up is also important. Forget the glorified daysailers, dockominiums and poseurboats...it had better be an expedition boat that you can run and fix yourself. If I had a suitable vessel, I'd be out somewhere remote now. Remote remote. No major resources, or lines of communication, population centres, or strategic locations/installations.

And yes, some personal artillery may be a good idea, but let's save that for private discussion, perhaps a new social group. That way the folks that love being defenceless and resent those that think differently about it aren't offended by being forced to read the thread and post to it.
Old 21-10-2012, 11:22   #20

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
The most likely problem I see occurring in the near future where isolation and self sufficiency would be a huge advantage, is an outbreak of an airborne virus with human transmission (we have come close to this in the last few years with bird flu scares). Being able to survive several months in isolation would actually be a huge advantage if this occurs.
I agree that a viral epidemic is the most likely shtf scenario. I think it's not a question of whether but of when the epidemic occurs.

After 9/11 the roads leading out of Wash DC were gridlocked. Would have been a good time to have a boat in the Potomac River. Anti-viral medicine or potassium iodide, and bicycles will get us to the boat. After that my guns and my Manson Supreme will keep me safe.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 11:35   #21
Armchair Bucketeer

Unsurprisingly the EOTW has been covered on a few threads over the years.........

I dunno about the Mayan Calender, but I'd be more worried about what is in the Kolob Calender for next month .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 11:39   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
I agree that a viral epidemic is the most likely shtf scenario. I think it's not a question of whether but of when the epidemic occurs.

I am not at all into doomsday predictions, but I agree it is not a matter of "if", but "when".

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 11:41   #23

Boat: a sailing boat

Fish hooks no good either - when SHTF everything will be very heavily polluted.

Cans, corned beef, etc.. that's what we need then.

Stock on long-life staples.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 11:44   #24

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

There may also be a bucket shortage if the SHTF, so stock up on buckets while you can!
Old 21-10-2012, 11:54   #25

I would bet my money on either the economy scenario or else a major natural disaster, say a major solar flux. Then things will go as one poster neatly said above: "the veneer of civilisation will be stripped off".

Fresh water. Build in huge water tanks and get an adequate rain-catchment thing. A watermaker with plenty of spares will come very handy too.

Stay away from the tropics - not much fish there. Head for major ocean cold currents and upwellings.

b.
Old 21-10-2012, 11:56   #26

There was a big power outage in Southern California last year and it was mighty nice to have our floating home which basically didn't skip a beat.

Trying to prepare for the zombie apocalypse is a whole different (and insane) beast.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 12:06   #27

Boat: OEM, proportional

DoJ made a very salient point. Kolobians have very disturbing eschatology, as it involves diy calamities (they may also be still a bit miffed about Unca Sam punching their esteemed prophet's ticket a while back). So does the other guy's crowd, but ve may nott say zis too loudly.
Old 21-10-2012, 12:20   #28

Zem Korombianz have plenty of oil and some very bad habits. It is not about one Uncle S. (no mamez, no namez, please), it is about the way things are.

Stay away from zem or else make sure your boat is faster than zeirs ...

Better yet, moor your survival platform in a location where locals do not know that piece of cloth behind your house is a FLAG. In fact, hang your towel there!

b.
Old 21-10-2012, 12:22   #29

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I would bet my money on either the economy scenario or else a major natural disaster, say a major solar flux. Then things will go as one poster neatly said above: "the veneer of civilisation will be stripped off".

Fresh water. Build in huge water tanks and get an adequate rain-catchment thing. A watermaker with plenty of spares will come very handy too.

Stay away from the tropics - not much fish there. Head for major ocean cold currents and upwellings.

b.
You dont have to look far to get an idea of what an economic shtf scenario looks like. Just take a peek at Greece. Riots and looting, yes. The veneer of civilization stripped away? Not so much.

On the other hand a Somalian type of economic and governmentals collapse would definitely call for a major bug out plan.

I confess, I rather enjoy fantasizing about the end of civilization. Especially since I will be one of the very few left alive to put my amazing survival skills to good use in saving the rest of mankind.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 15:42   #30

Boat: Heritage East 40
During a SHTF, the very ability to pull in lines and anchor could save your family. You won't have to go far. But you will have to deal will have to deal with pirates. That means you better be armed.
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote