Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2017, 18:37   #31

Re: Sailing on Faith: What Anchors Your Soul?

Lads there's no need to get in a tiff for this fella. He's the guy who pulls a hand grenade and tosses into the tent to see what people do.

In 1980s I met with Otto Kretschmer - he was the U-boat ace that captained u-99.

He told me these words.

In the U-boat service, the least Nazified service, they had belt buckles that said gott mit uns.

When he was captured as his boat sank. His English rescuer asked him dryly if God is with us and with you, who can be against us?

Eh.
Old 19-01-2017, 18:40   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post
Given the evil that permeates society and pop culture, faith and the Judeo-Christian foundation that America was founded on promoted a value system that has proven to be an incalculable benefit to western civilization.
Well, certainly indisputable that christians wiping out the indigenous pre-Colombian cultures that existed in North and South America was of incalculable benefit to western civilization. I'll give you that. Obliterating whole cultures a benefit to humanity as a whole? What are you? Some kind of nazi?
Old 19-01-2017, 18:41   #33

Boat: wanting a cat

Oh yeah, religion and politics, I should have known, my apologies...

meatservo
Old 19-01-2017, 18:43   #34

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
If your afraid of it, then don't pay attention to it. It's called free will...

meatservo
Well, unfortunately ignoring it won't do me any good when my neighbor has a bad sausage some night and thinks god is telling him to burn the neighborhood down.
Old 19-01-2017, 18:47   #35

That has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity.

Cheech and Chong quote, "I used to be all messed up on drugs, and then I found the Lord, now I'm all messed up on the Lord".

There is much evil in religion, all faiths realize this, not all believers are evil.

meatservo
Old 19-01-2017, 18:49   #36

Boat: Rafiki 37

Well, this thread has headed over the cliff rather quickly. I thought it was all in fun.

I firmly stand with those who see and explore the universe as it is, and not as some silly book written hundreds or thousands of years ago tells us we should. Organized religion is like other aspects of culture; both good and bad. I think we would be better off without it, but as pattern-seeking primates we seem drawn to this kind of story telling.

But I don’t get all bent out of shape if someone chooses to believe in god(s), or the flying spaghetti monster. As long as they’re not forcing their views on others, and by force I do not mean civil discussion, then I’m fine with it. It matters to me as much as who you sleep with or what anchor you use (although my Rocna beats them all ).
Old 19-01-2017, 18:53   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Well, certainly indisputable that christians wiping out the indigenous pre-Colombian cultures that existed in North and South America was of incalculable benefit to western civilization. I'll give you that. Obliterating whole cultures a benefit to humanity as a whole? What are you? Some kind of nazi?
The human race has done this since the beginning, it is not right, if we suck so bad here in the west, then move to Venezuela, or China, or Russia. I hear North Korea is a great place to visit this time of year.

The Seminole tribe in Florida own the Hard Rock Cafe franchise, they take in 25 million a month tax free.

meatservo
Old 19-01-2017, 19:00   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
But I don’t get all bent out of shape if someone chooses to believe in god(s)
I used to agree with you.

But I've seen enough to make me conclude it's all been given way too wide a berth in my lifetime, and it's high time we start actively ridiculing it.
Old 19-01-2017, 19:09   #39

I'm in Mikes corner on this subject and I have no problem in debating bad ideas, no idea should be protected and treated as something that can't be criticized however I also believe it's ok for anyone to believe whatever they want to believe as long as they don't foist it on me or behave in such a way that puts any other human being in harms way.
Old 19-01-2017, 19:10   #40

Ridicule away, you have that right in America, not so much in other parts of the world. Those who have faith will not be swayed.

I spent 10 years of my life wearing a uniform defending your right to believe anything you want to believe.

I just wish you would say thank you.

meatservo
Old 19-01-2017, 19:19   #41

Quote:
Ridicule away, you have that right in America, not so much in other parts of the world. Those who have faith will not be swayed.

I spent 10 years of my life wearing a uniform defending your right to believe anything you want to believe.

I just wish you would say thank you.

meatservo
Old 19-01-2017, 19:23   #42

Guess I'm done here. Your lack of respect speaks volumes. But hey, tomorrow, there's a new sheriff in town!

meatservo
Old 19-01-2017, 19:24   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonchris7 View Post
The only "moderator" who has commented should be censored, for obvious reasons.
Oh my god, this is absolutely precious! I want to frame it and hang it on my main bulkhead. Yes, of course. We must censor all non-believers. Or perhaps we should cut off their heads?
Old 19-01-2017, 19:34   #44
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I never had a secret friend or felt a need to join a secret friend club.

Yes, everyone has a right to believe what they choose, and we are bound by citizenship and character to respect that right. However, there is no obligation to respect the accuracy of any belief. Bring up the subject and I will respond frankly.

----

Without question, sailing and climbing have shaped my personality. They make you look inside at what makes you tick and how you feel about that.
Old 19-01-2017, 19:34   #45

Quote:
The human race has done this since the beginning, it is not right, if we suck so bad here in the west, then move to Venezuela, or China, or Russia. I hear North Korea is a great place to visit this time of year.

The Seminole tribe in Florida own the Hard Rock Cafe franchise, they take in 25 million a month tax free.

meatservo
This is also precious. I suppose you were just following orders like the others.
Closed Thread

Tags
anchor, sail, sailing