Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2017, 16:17   #16

Boat: 41' yawl
Re: Sailing on Faith: What Anchors Your Soul?

I'm a spade man myself.

And empathy is my moral compass.
Old 19-01-2017, 16:18   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I don't find this to be true. Myself, and other sailors that I know well, deal with the known phenomena and honor truth of the physical world. Few, if any, sail into the unknown and rely upon faith. Certainly, not "all sailors",- none that I have encountered!
Sailors who rely on faith rather than their own planning frequently end up having to put their faith in an EPIRB and SAR personnel.

Once rescued they then frequently give effusive and public thanks to their personal deity for saving them from themselves
Old 19-01-2017, 16:30   #18

Boat: 36' Cape Dory

Well this certainly has generated some interesting convo so far...

As an educated scientist myself, I can respect some of the viewpoints presented above.

Yes, I queried the foodie post, and interestingly, that's where I got the notion to wonder what folks would post on this topic. See, there is "food for the soul," and if you read that post you'll find there were several comments about spiritual food.

If you've been so fortunate to avoid changing weather conditions check out some of the magazine articles of those caught in life-threatening scenarios with no warning. I can personally attest to this as a survivor of a devastating tornado.

In an event, I do appreciate reading every comment. This post on my part wasn't just a casual... "I wonder what they'll come up with." I appreciate whatever you feel compelled to write on this topic.
Old 19-01-2017, 16:41   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonchris7 View Post
If you've been so fortunate to avoid changing weather conditions .......
There is nothing fortunate in weather changes. This too is expected. Someone less observant of nature might exclaim that there is something strange about always having a "calm before the storm". Well, Duh! How could it be defined as a storm if it were not calm before and after!

There is nothing "fortunate" among those that honor truth in the physical world.
Old 19-01-2017, 17:22   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonchris7 View Post
It seems like all sailors have something in common... the ability to sail into the unknown conditions, or finding themselves in a situation where everything changes, where they have to rely on faith.
The presumptive nature of this post offends me and I don't mind saying so. I have been sailing since I was a toddler and never once had to rely on faith.

What is it about people of faith that they can't keep their beliefs to themselves? Is it a need for some kind of external validation that fills an emptiness within themselves?

I don't go around starting posts about how the most scientificly provable fact about a belief in god is that nothing fails like prayer. That's a fact. That all sailors have something in common, a reliance on faith is a delusional fantasy.

Why do people of faith always feel like they have to share their belief? I can not think of a single human creation throughout history other than a belief in a higher power that have caused humanity more pain and suffering. Thanks for sharing. Not.

Really it's sickening. I watched with my own eyes as a belief in god motivated people to attack my home and kill my friends and neighbors and while the rest of the world watched on TV. It wasn't beautiful. It wasn't glorious. It was the ugliest thing I have ever seen.

Keep your beliefs to yourself.

Thanks
Old 19-01-2017, 17:59   #21

This is a painting by Rembrandt, one of my favorites. It's called Christ in the Storm on the Sea of Galilee.

I see a bunch of guys in the bow of the boat actively fighting and trying to save their asses. They are on the left side, the side bathed in light. On the right side, the dark side are a bunch of layabouts either barfing over the rail or doing nothing except looking to Jesus to save them.

Meanwhile the central figure is a self portrait of Rembrandt and he is looking at you the viewer as if to say which would you choose?

Seriously, in that situation I would be doing every thing I could to save myself and I certainly wouldn't be laying around doing nothing except expecting my faith in Jesus to save me.

You decide for yourself what you think the painting means or what you believe. I think based on the balance of light and dark it's clear what the artist himself thought. I personally don't care either way what you believe so long as you decide for yourself and not because someone told you to.

Couple other notes. Painting, stolen. Probably hanging on the wall of some evil super villain's hideout. Also, boat hook. An intelligent design created by men for a purpose that hasn't changed in four hundred years. A purpose that wasn't created by intelligent design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1147.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	398.6 KB
ID:	139849  
Old 19-01-2017, 18:05   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
The presumptive nature of this post offends me and I don't mind saying so. I have been sailing since I was a toddler and never once had to rely on faith.

What is it about people of faith that they can't keep their beliefs to themselves? Is it a need for some kind of external validation that fills an emptiness within themselves?

I don't go around starting posts about how the most scientificly provable fact about a belief in god is that nothing fails like prayer. That's a fact. That all sailors have something in common, a reliance on faith is a delusional fantasy.

Why do people of faith always feel like they have to share their belief? I can not think of a single human creation throughout history other than a belief in a higher power that have caused humanity more pain and suffering. Thanks for sharing. Not.

Really it's sickening. I watched with my own eyes as a belief in god motivated people to attack my home and kill my friends and neighbors and while the rest of the world watched on TV. It wasn't beautiful. It wasn't glorious. It was the ugliest thing I have ever seen.

Keep your beliefs to yourself.

Thanks
Well, I think its fine for someone to talk about their faith. But that's not what you are saying - it's their implication that we all use the same childish crutch. Totally - that's noxious to me, too.

Furthermore, if someone came on here and was like "I'm using a 10 pound dinghy mushroom to anchor in a crowded mooring field, and it seems to work great" we'd be all over that.

I think "My imaginary friend in the sky, who's backstory is an absurd hodgepodge of other historical backstories, is really helping me get through some rough passages" is a similarly ridiculous claim deserving of similar response.
Old 19-01-2017, 18:16   #23

Exactly. You believe in god or the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Great. I am happy for you. I think you are a nutter, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

You come on here and tell me I believe in what you believe? That I should believe in what you believe? That's another matter.

Anyway, can anyone here explain to me what it is about people of faith that makes them need to share their beliefs? Makes them feel like they need to recruit other people to believe like they do? I just don't get it.

Can only think it is some kind of insecurity or need for external validation kind of thing. Some kind of need to fit in or be seen as fitting in. Seriously does not compute to me. Wish they would keep it to themselves.
Old 19-01-2017, 18:22   #24

Boat: wanting a cat

Given the evil that permeates society and pop culture, faith and the Judeo-Christian foundation that America was founded on promoted a value system that has proven to be an incalculable benefit to western civilization.

It's like changing the channel, bitch about the post, WTF, just ignore it, why let it irritate you? Nothing against Muslims in general, I have a few close friends that are Muslim in England that I have had a loving relationship (like family) for over 25 years. But Christianity is not in your face as much as radical Islamic terrorism. BTW, the obama administration has let few Christian refugees from Syria in to the U.S.

Get pissed of about faith and Christians, and completely ignore radical Islamic terrorism. I don't get it. Change the channel, ignore the post.

obama provides prayer rugs in the white house for Muslims. We provide Muslims prayer areas on college campuses. That is all fine. Then we fire a high school football coach because the team prayed before a game...

Guess you should pick your battles with care. Or not...

meatservo
Old 19-01-2017, 18:26   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post
Given the evil that permeates society and pop culture, faith and the Judeo-Christian foundation that America was founded on promoted a value system that has proven to be an incalculable benefit to western civilization.

It's like changing the channel, bitch about the post, WTF, just ignore it, why let it irritate you? Nothing against Muslims in general, I have a few close friends that are Muslim in England that I have had a loving relationship (like family) for over 25 years. But Christianity is not in your face as much as radical Islamic terrorism. BTW, the obama administration has let few Christian refugees from Syria in to the U.S.

Get pissed of about faith and Christians, and completely ignore radical Islamic terrorism. I don't get it. Change the channel, ignore the post.

obama provides prayer rugs in the white house for Muslims. We provide Muslims prayer areas on college campuses. That is all fine. Then we fire a high school football coach because the team prayed before a game...

Guess you should pick your battles with care. Or not...

meatservo
No atheist or agnostic I have ever met has "ignored" radical islamic terror. That's a straw-man argument. We are afraid of all that ridiculous hocus pocus crap.
Old 19-01-2017, 18:33   #26

I never claimed that Christianity had less blood on their hands, they do, that's history. That was what the Reformation was all about. You are not a student of history...

meatservo
Old 19-01-2017, 18:34   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post
I never claimed that Christianity had less blood on their hands, they do, that's history. That was what the Reformation was all about. You are not a student of history...

meatservo
Yeah - I realized I was reading too much into your comments, and edited my post accordingly.
Old 19-01-2017, 18:36   #28

If your afraid of it, then don't pay attention to it. It's called free will...

meatservo
Old 19-01-2017, 18:37   #29

Boat: 36' Cape Dory

Hmmm... I will no further moderate this conversation. The only "moderator" who has commented should be censored, for obvious reasons.

In an event, whatever you think of God or the Bible, consider this...

I will love you unconditionally. And respect your point of view. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas.
Old 19-01-2017, 18:37   #30

No problem Chris, live and let live.
Closed Thread

Tags
anchor, sail, sailing