Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2016, 15:32   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: On the hook...

h ahaha most folks wont go where i liked it best and yes i spent a few years there with intention of returning to spend more time there, as well as sailing to other locations inmexico, caribbean and mebbe gom if i feel like dealing with the usa; a beautiful shoal in hudson river--awesome!!--may not return there--havent a clue as yet if i want to go to coldville even to visit the eleanor and my cousins who are restoring her.
and there was one place i didnt stay long enough. ok mebbe more than one. in caribbean.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 15:28   #17

Boat: Catalina 42

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1469915446.443305.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	128750
Ah Karen, good to see you!
Having spent 2 yrs in Tasmania one of my favourite linger spots was Franklin on the Huon River. Anchored just off from the little rickety marina and historic Wooden Boat Shed, in total peace and serenity, beautiful scenery all around and daily visits from a family of black swans. Shopping for provisions was just a fast 20 minute dinghy ride upriver to Huonville through farmland & orchards and numerous water birds. Love it!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 15:42   #18

Boat: Catalina 42

I'm now in Airlie Beach, Queensland...with little desire to leave after 6 weeks! A pleasant clean holiday town for families and many backpackers. The anchorage in the bay is generally protected from prevailing SE winds. Provisions, water, laundry & rubbish collection all readily available.
Just 3 hours sail away is the Whitsunday Islands and numerous interesting protected anchorages for walking, snorkelling or just relaxing in my hammock.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 16:26   #19

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

One of our favourite anchorages (difficult to get to as quite remote) was in the lagoon at Suwarrow in the Cook islands. We intended to stay a few days ended up staying weeks until we needed more provisions - just idyllic
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 17:36   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Well we were not cruising, but on a 2 week charter in the BVI . We spent a couple of days at Leverick in north sound Virgin Gorda, then left for Anegada. From there?.......
Every evening we'd hug and kiss all of our friends with intentions to get an early start out the next morning. Every morning we'd wake and decide to stay another day. Dinghy in, order breakfast, and decide how to spend our "last" day again. As you can imagine, after a few days, our friends stopped believing we'd leave the next morning. But still, hugs, kisses, goodbyes all around each evening, with much laughter mixed in. Who doesn't love hugs, kisses and laughter? I believe that scenario played out on at least 2 ( maybe 3) of our charters. And on at least one of those charters we actually changed flights to extend our trip! Also ended up extending 1 land based while there. Like the movie "Groundhog Day" except it wasn't nightmarish, it was dreamy ��
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 18:07   #21

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22

very cool places everyone... I should make a pushpin map with all that's been mentioned thus far...
Curious Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:05   #22

Boat: a sailing boat

West Coast ...

Cheers,
b.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	west_coast.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	128864  
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:37   #23

Boat: Catalina 470

East end of Deadman's Beach, Peter Island BVI. A nice easterly breeze blows through a gap in the island's hills and lets you anchor so close to the beach you can almost walk ashore. And that same breeze blows through the boat keeping you nice and comfortable all night long. Stopped for the night on our first day of a weeklong bareboat charter, stayed three days, and then came back for the last night before heading home.

There are many great places to anchor, and everyone's tastes differ. The best spot is wherever you are if you are enjoying yourself :-)

-David
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:42   #24

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Lots of places, happens to me all the time, I think its one of the great luxuries of cruising:

Cayo Levisa, Cuba. Planned as an overnight and we wound up staying for a couple of weeks. Same in the little fishing village of Esperanza just down the coast. In both cases because of the great locals we befriended. Had planned on Cuba, Mexico, Belize that year...spent the whole season in Cuba and very glad we did.

Guanaja, Bay Islands, Honduras. First time there, only planned a stop for a few days, ended up being a few weeks.

Providencia, Colombia. Great place, and I found a flats full of bone fish where I could fly fish within a few yards of a bar. Get cold beer, catch bonefish, repeat...

West End, Roatan, Honduras...stopped there the first time in route to Panama...discovered a cigar bar with Mojitos for happy hour...we never did make it to Panama that year...spent most of the season right there in West End (that was before the mayor launched his anti-cruiser crusade).

Also have spent WAY longer in places than planned due to weather:

Marathon, FL and John Penekamp park...about two months...strong cold easterlies would just not let up that year for hopping over to Bimini. A few got impatient and went anyway...got thier butts kicked. We stuck around and had a pleasant time in both places. Had Penekamp almost all to ourselves because the weather kept most tourists away.

Buen Aventura, Panama. Ducked in there just because we hadn't anchored there before to wait out a bit of nasty weather which had spread over from Colombia to the San Blas. Figured we'd be a few days...22 days later...we finally left for the San Blas. We were surprised how much we enjoyed Buen Aventura and we were the only cruising boat there for the entire time (crowded, nasty, Portobelo is just around the corner).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:43   #25

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Went travelling there, not sailing... but if you wanted to go looking for a tropical island (plenty to choose from) to have all to yourself, with no hurricanes, very few people (if any,) lots of good fishing, extensive tropical jungle, ... travel up the Rio Negro from Manaus, Brazil. In the low water season, you can't believe the white sand beaches and in the high water you can follow the dolphins into the flooded jungle with your dug-out canoe. Sure would love to go back.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 16:38   #26

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Lots of places, happens to me all the time, I think its one of the great luxuries of cruising:

Cayo Levisa, Cuba. Planned as an overnight and we wound up staying for a couple of weeks. Same in the little fishing village of Esperanza just down the coast. In both cases because of the great locals we befriended. Had planned on Cuba, Mexico, Belize that year...spent the whole season in Cuba and very glad we did.

Guanaja, Bay Islands, Honduras. First time there, only planned a stop for a few days, ended up being a few weeks.

Providencia, Colombia. Great place, and I found a flats full of bone fish where I could fly fish within a few yards of a bar. Get cold beer, catch bonefish, repeat...

West End, Roatan, Honduras...stopped there the first time in route to Panama...discovered a cigar bar with Mojitos for happy hour...we never did make it to Panama that year...spent most of the season right there in West End (that was before the mayor launched his anti-cruiser crusade).

Also have spent WAY longer in places than planned due to weather:

Marathon, FL and John Penekamp park...about two months...strong cold easterlies would just not let up that year for hopping over to Bimini. A few got impatient and went anyway...got thier butts kicked. We stuck around and had a pleasant time in both places. Had Penekamp almost all to ourselves because the weather kept most tourists away.

Buen Aventura, Panama. Ducked in there just because we hadn't anchored there before to wait out a bit of nasty weather which had spread over from Colombia to the San Blas. Figured we'd be a few days...22 days later...we finally left for the San Blas. We were surprised how much we enjoyed Buen Aventura and we were the only cruising boat there for the entire time (crowded, nasty, Portobelo is just around the corner).
The whole season in Cuba? Awesome... Before or after the US and Cuba shook hands?
Curious Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 17:36   #27

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Sailor View Post
The whole season in Cuba? Awesome... Before or after the US and Cuba shook hands?
Before, 2001.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote