Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2011, 07:02   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Coupla nice boats there Therapy... like the 28....
Berg.. afraid I can't check out boats in NC for you... I'm in Portugal... sorry mate

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 07:04   #17
cruiser

ok, another question then, how do they haul the dingy up onto the bow? Im thinking i might not be able to do that....

are davits on the back acceptable? do they alter the handling/performance any ???
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 07:11   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
ok, another question then, how do they haul the dingy up onto the bow? Im thinking i might not be able to do that....

are davits on the back acceptable? do they alter the handling/performance any ???
I'd dump/sell the hard dinghy and get a small inflatable on davits or you could winch it up using the spinnaker halyard and keep it on the bow... it'll be lighter.... that hard dinghy would be a pig to clamber round/over once its lashed down..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 07:22   #19

Boat: Cape Dory 33, 17' Boston Whaler
It's tough to say without more photos, but I'm not convinced that boat listed as a Cape Dory 28 is in fact a Cape Dory 28. CD 28s came with opening cast bronze ports and it's tough to imagine why someone would remove them. More photos would help clarify the issue (as is often the case).

Cape Dorys are great boats- I love everything about mine. If you are interested in them at all, take a look at Welcome to the Cape Dory Sailboat Owners Association's Home Page
Prerequisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 07:27   #20

Berg,

If you haven't seen this website yet, it's a good one (and despite the URL, the boats are across the country- not just in TX):

Sailboats for sale from Sailing Texas, Sailboat Classifieds, sailboat for sale by owner
Old 17-01-2011, 07:48   #21

Boat: Tartan 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prerequisite View Post
Berg,

If you haven't seen this website yet, it's a good one (and despite the URL, the boats are across the country- not just in TX):

Sailboats for sale from Sailing Texas, Sailboat Classifieds, sailboat for sale by owner
There are some great deals out there..

That Westerly Renown has been for sale for close to a year now, keeps dropping the price, I think it was around $26k when he first put it on the market.
I'd offer him 12

The Arpegee is a new listing and already dropped $5k, he wants it sold fast... worth checking out.
Old 17-01-2011, 07:55   #22

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
i saw this boat listed before...

is she on this forum? do you all know her? sounds like it? I was totally interested in this boat too..

I will contact her...

thanks

b

sorry, thought thse ads were for the 'ocean girls' boat?

but now, Im not sure ? maybe i should have my coffee now?

If you are replying to me They are listed in the Tampa Bay Craigslist.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 08:56   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prerequisite View Post
It's tough to say without more photos, but I'm not convinced that boat listed as a Cape Dory 28 is in fact a Cape Dory 28. CD 28s came with opening cast bronze ports and it's tough to imagine why someone would remove them. More photos would help clarify the issue (as is often the case).

Cape Dorys are great boats- I love everything about mine. If you are interested in them at all, take a look at Welcome to the Cape Dory Sailboat Owners Association's Home Page

the CD 28 states it has bronze openings...
Old 17-01-2011, 08:58   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
Berg, I know its not FLorida and I'm not certain if the budget will work but Ocean Girl is selling her Cape Dory. Points in its favor: 1. Ocean Girl the sailor knows what she's doing so Ocean Girl the boat has been well cared for. 2. A Cape Dory is a great, solid boat that will take care of you 3. Its in Texas- not quite Florida but its less expensive than Florida and we Texans tend to be a friendly lot.

If it were me, I'd be having a conversation with OG...
where is Ocean Girl's boat? and is there an AD somewhere?
Old 17-01-2011, 09:08   #25

Quote:
the CD 28 states it has bronze openings...
You are incorrect. The CD28 description taken most likely from here: CDSOA, Inc. -- CD28 says bronze openings, but the photos clearly show another type of port.

Please take the following as constructive criticism and not a personal slight: Until you get some experience on boats, and even then until you actually go see the boats that interest you in person, you are on course to be totally unsatisfied with your purchase. For instance, were you to make an offer on a boat such as this with what you assumed was several thousands of dollars of bronze only to find it in fact had tens of dollars of plastic, you would be sorely disappointed.
Old 17-01-2011, 09:11   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
With any boat that is worth anything, protect yourself by seeing it in person and hiring a marine surveyor.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 09:29   #27
cruiser

i intend on seeing any boat and or having every boat surveyed...

and yes, i understand the CD looks like the windows were changed out... but, if they were, and the surveyor or I saw that, I would question them about the conflict in description and either retract the bid/offer or renegotiate...

I dont take anything wrong, at least not so far I hope, and i do appreciate your words and will reinforce what i have said before in that i will be on the road in about 1 month from the looks of how things are progressing on my house and will be in FL or whereever to make the final purchase...

BGTW: the Morgan sellers replied that the boat has never been flooded or in any accident or had any major issues... Just been on the hard for storage and now that the father is older and not worked on her for a couple years is selling it...

they are sending me more pics, which i will post...

they are telling me I can get a rebuilt yanny for about $3-5k, and a new one for $7k

which would put the boat around $7-10k so, the bidding is at the top of the limit for me...
Old 17-01-2011, 10:07   #28

Boat: Tartan 30
There are two different cape dory 28's. There was a few years (i think the first few years) they came with plastic ports and did not have a bridgedeck.

There were a few other minor differences too that I don't recall, same hull and everything else.
Old 17-01-2011, 10:53   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy
There are two different cape dory 28's. There was a few years (i think the first few years) they came with plastic ports and did not have a bridgedeck.

There were a few other minor differences too that I don't recall, same hull and everything else.
Well, you learn something new everyday. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 17-01-2011, 11:00   #30
cruiser

'cept the advertised description indicates it is bronze ports!