Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2012, 19:28   #1

New to Live aboard life. Looking into it.

Hey There,
My name is Matt,

I have zero sailing experience, have never actually been on a boat before. Im going to be looking into moving options soon, I woul really love to live on a boat in So Cal. I am 21. I make $35-$45,000 dollars a year(giving this to get better answers in my price range.). I have a car. I need a boat, slip, everything that goes with it. Dont know if I want a slip, mooring ball or what. I will be live aboard. Looking for a life change. I know there are live aboard waiting lists and Im willing to wait for one. I was emailing Ventura west Marina and they said they were getting alot of slips available so so thats an option. I would like a boat that is smaller but comfortable and possibly self sufficient. Water, power etc. Any info will help. I am new to this forum so thanks for the input!

Thanks Again,
Matt
sailingmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 12:57   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: New to Live aboard life. Looking into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingmatt View Post
................I have zero sailing experience, have never actually been on a boat before. Im going to be looking into moving options soon, I woul really love to live on a boat.................
How is this different from, "I've never been on a horse, but I want to be a rodeo cowboy"? "I don't speak French, but I'd like to apply for the French teaching job". ....or...."I've never seen a piano, but I want to be a pianist. Isn't there some earlier step that you might take?
Old 30-10-2012, 13:03   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Matt,

One problem you may run into. It is not easy to find a cheap boat slip in S CA. The problem is not many harbors and lots of rich people with boats looking for a place to park them.

Also rich people with boats often park them and leave them for months without ever using them so lots of marinas are reluctant to admit live aboards who take up more time and resources than a boat owner who is never there.

Some places a boat can provide a low cost place to live, south CA not so much.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 13:05   #4

Boat: Lord Nelson 35

Hi Matt,

Read: The Essentials of Living Aboard a Boat: Mark Nicholas: 9780939837663: Amazon.com: Books

Quote:
Hey There,
I have zero sailing experience, have never actually been on a boat before. Im going to be looking into moving options soon, I woul really love to live on a boat in So Cal.
Steve Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 13:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
How is this different from, "I've never been on a horse, but I want to be a rodeo cowboy"? "I don't speak French, but I'd like to apply for the French teaching job". ....or...."I've never seen a piano, but I want to be a pianist. Isn't there some earlier step that you might take?
How is this different to "I don't know how to drive but i'm willing to buy a car and learn"? Don't be such a hardarse
Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 13:18   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Welcome aboard Matt!

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 14:41   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delay View Post
How is this different to "I don't know how to drive but i'm willing to buy a car and learn"? Don't be such a hardarse
Maybe I am being harsh, but I think successful liveaboards do best when they know something about boats before moving aboard and the fellow that wants to learn how to drive a car should, at least, have taken a few rides in a car first.
Old 30-10-2012, 17:32   #8

Boat: Deja Vu - Catalina 36 MK I

Hi Matt.

First, Ventura West Marina is VERY nice, I have a buddy with a boat there. If I were you, I would buy THIS BOAT

Catalina Yacht Anchorage (Marina Del Rey, CA)

It's located a few miles from your new slip and the loan on it will be under $ 400/month. Add 500-600 for the slip and you're living aboard for a grand a month, same as a small apartment. Make the Catalina Yacht Anchorage guys throw in some sailing lessons and tell them you won't take delivery until you can drive and park the boat yourself. These guys are desperate these days, they'll gladly agree. I have had 2 of these 36's over the past 25 years and they drive like a big car, very predictable. They also sail well and are easy to handle, perfect for SoCal sailing.

Living aboard, this boat will be a PALACE for one person. Trust me, I did it many years ago. Even when my GF and her dog moved aboard, we had plenty of room.

As for the naysayers, the guy didn't say he wants to circumnavigate.
He just wants to live aboard in a slip in SoCal for pete's sake. Give him a break!

Back to you, Matt. Don't worry, this sailing thing isn't rocket science. Just take your time and learn your way around the boat slowly. Check out the wind & sea state before you go out, take some friends to help with the lines and have fun. When I first started, Calypso Yacht Charters gave me four lessons and then let me charter 30 footers for the day. Those are the only lessons I've had to this day and I ain't dead yet.

Have fun and be prepared to become VERY popular with your friends.

Mike
MikeinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 17:46   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLA View Post
..............As for the naysayers, the guy didn't say he wants to circumnavigate.
He just wants to live aboard in a slip in SoCal for pete's sake. Give him a break!.......................
I'm not saying, "Nay". I'm saying don't buy a boat to move aboard when you have never been on a boat. Join a sailing club; charter; take a boat ride on a fishing charter; rent a skiff; cross a river on a ferry. I don't have a memory in my life at an age when I had never been on a boat. I would think it would be well advised to have a little experrience on a boat before the commitment, Please don't interpret my response as a naysayer. On the contrary, do it!...but don't just fall into it totally unaware.
Old 30-10-2012, 18:12   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Quote:
....... I think successful liveaboards do best when they know something about boats before moving aboard and the fellow that wants to learn how to drive a car should, at least, have taken a few rides in a car first.
This is too funny but also too true.
This guy don't even know if he will get seasick or not.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 20:35   #11
o_q

Quote:
It's different in that he wants to "live on a boat", not win a race. So maybe an earlier step he could take is buy a boat. He wont really need to sail, would he? He can learn the basics from there.

He came to this forum asking for help, not to be asked what he should do when he obviously doesn't know.
o_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:26   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_q View Post
It's different in that he wants to "live on a boat", not win a race. So maybe an earlier step he could take is buy a boat. He wont really need to sail, would he? He can learn the basics from there.

He came to this forum asking for help, not to be asked what he should do when he obviously doesn't know.
I have not suggested that he race or win or sail. I have not even suggeted that he learn basics, but it's a good idea that you present. Matt stated that "any info will help" and the information that I continue to support is that he will do best by spending some time aboard boats before buying a boat.
Old 02-11-2012, 19:21   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delay View Post
Thats right. I probably should have been more clear. Of course I will take boating lessons before even attempting this. I was just looking for some starter info. Suggestions, maybe things you wish you would of done before you started. Thats all I was really looking for. Thank you those of you that gave answers and for trying to help. I appreciate it.
sailingmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 19:58   #14

Quote:
Thats right. I probably should have been more clear. Of course I will take boating lessons before even attempting this. I was just looking for some starter info. Suggestions, maybe things you wish you would of done before you started. Thats all I was really looking for. Thank you those of you that gave answers and for trying to help. I appreciate it.
Matt,

I will state something that is very important. 99% of all people are capable of being seasick in different situations. Now that isn't very important most of the time while in a marina slip, but there could be a time where it may be the case. Even the most seasoned sailing vets can and do become seasick. This is something to consider before buying a boat.

The other considerations before you get too deep. Any type of boat is a hole in the water people throw money at. They are one of the most maintenance intensive craft on the face of the earth, for the average person anyway. Don't believe the maintenance costs of owning a boat will be less than anything else you can compare it too, it just isn't true.

Now on the other hand, if your mechanically inclined, know how to be thrifty (not cheap), you can save a bunch of those maintenance costs, but will still find it can be expensive. The old adage, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, is very true.

On the other hand, if outfitted correctly, the total expenditure of your housing can be pretty cheap if you are conservative, and mostly self sufficient. (Power, water, etc.) It can also be quite nice, because it is also mobile if cared for correctly.

Expect to at least spend the equivalent of a studio apartment for bills at first. If you can do a lot of preventative maintenance, that will go down a lot, and stay down. If you do not, you will find your bills almost non-existent until the tidal wave hits you from all the needed repairs. Then you will either cry, or sell the boat for nothing and have nothing to show for your efforts. Very few boat repairs can wait very long. The longer they are put off, the worse the repair will be. Some things need to be used, and used often, or repairs will be needed. If not used, at least "exercised".

If you are not widely versed with mechanics, pneumatics, electronics, plumbing, etc, find someone local who will teach you. There are usually other live-aboard people who can always use a hand for free, and will pass their knowledge along. Also, ask here......there are very knowledgeable people here. But hands on experience is always the best. Don't learn from just one person....spread yourself around. Free help is good....at least to the other locals. What you learn is worth much more than you will "pay" for it. Also, there are usually kickbacks for you that aren't mentioned.....(sailing trips, food, beer, etc.)

These are all points that must be understood before buying a boat. Most books will give the information round about or directly, but you must understand this.

The cruisers have a saying: "Cruising is repairing your boat in extravagant places."

Ask as many questions as you can think of. But mostly read everything you can. Many will point you to books. I think there is a wealth of information on the internet.

James L
propellanttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 21:31   #15

Boat: Franz Maas 37

At 21 years of age the world is your oyster. Try not to cut yourself as you pry it open. You can do anything you want to...the only criterion; make sure you firstly want it, then sally forth with enthusiasm and an open mind.

From a philosophical viewpoint, there are only two types of people in the world; good ones and bad ones. Avoid the bad and seek out the good and you will live a happy life.

Genuine teachers abound and will genuinely encourage you, while the bitter few (you will meet them) are usually not terribly successful and probably lacked the courage at your age, to do that which you are considering.

Have fun and live a great life afloat, if that is what you truly desire.
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote