Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2015, 05:43   #31

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Re: My live aboard plans..

I had my boat in Kentucky Lake / Lake Barkley for a year. Really nice sailing. This is my first boat and first solo sailing (went out 3 times). Really wasn't all that bad. I was excited more than nervous.

Doesn't sound like you're going to buy a boat and sail around the world within a week so you're good there. Don't rush it. Research, learn and you'll be fine.

Welcome to CF and all the best to your sailing adventures.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 06:44   #32

I grew up on Kentucky Lake and it is a great place to boat....I live about 1.5 hours from there right now.

To some of the other kind replies...

I am not the type to see a boat on some sale site and can sit here and say "I'll buy that"

I am taking my time, and I have the time to take...just my current life situation....when I do get all things settled here and can comfortably look at my leisure I will then begin to go see the craft(s).

When I say "tingle" I am meaning it just appeals to me....not tingle as in "ooooh look something bright and shiny I must have it" Im foolish at times but no fool.

DGz3 had a great idea I never thought of (duh moment) and that is going on a charter with different boats and then I will have a MUCH better (not just didactic) understanding of what I really want.

My plan has been to take a small vacation this year to an yet undecided location that is thick as ticks with boats.

It all looks better on my plan outline I have for myself.

I am reading, studying, and listening right now.

As far as the boat being small and such...does not bother me. Truly, everyones different and I have a lot of other things I cant tolerate but small place living is not one.

Another thing for me is my health....you see for me it will be much better than the house....from my diet to my exercise to not having oodles and boodles of stuff to live with...eating fresh seafood and fish for a change (big shock, Evansville Indiana is not the seafood capital of the USA)

Like I said, I have a fairly extensive plan already....

So, like someone above mentioned....stand at ready for a boat that the owners have done all the upgrades on and go for it or look at the newer model boats and try and figure out where the breaking point in price is going to be.

I cant tell squat about pricing from any of the search sites..I mean anyone can ask anything they want for a boat...but how much will they actually take is the question.

I think with my slack (within a year) time frame I have a very good chance of finding a boat of the right condition, price and abilities with no problem..Problem is, like when I was in sales, you dont wanna give a customer more than three choices or they become hopelessly lost in trying to decide.
No, Im afraid that wont do..I want to go in eyes wide open.

A surveyor will be a must.....

And starting to post here and building relationships will take me a loooong way. Someone mentioned going to the sailing school will put me ahead of about 90% of yahoos on the water....that makes me feel both better and more cautious.
BlueMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 11:30   #33

Does anyone here have an opinion or know someone who has sailed on either an Ingrid or Alajuela 38? (there a few within my price range, actually much lower..)
I am finding the regular information and stuff I can find on the innerweb.
This is really along the lines of what I would like...

(If I should move this question to another forum let me know....)

As to the question what kind of sailing and where?

I want to see the coast of America, perhaps som Bahama cruising and up the Atlantic....now this is just all wishes....but I have to start somewhere.

I want a stable safe craft that I can take where ever I point it within reason.

AND more importantly I want sail....I do not want to be docked all my time....

Thanks again!

M
Old 30-05-2015, 13:15   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMaxx View Post
When I say "tingle" I am meaning it just appeals to me....not tingle as in "ooooh look something bright and shiny I must have it" Im foolish at times but no fool.
'good to read this. I always worry about the novice buyer "falling in love" with a boat and then not being able to see the problems.

I would also discourage someone who is shopping for an older boat from hunting from a list of manufacturers. After ten or fifteen years the care of the vessel and condition is likely a far more important factor than the make and model.

Instead, I would make a list of criteria that you could use to find the "short list" of potential boats to look at seriously.

By criteria, I mean important features and not variances that have less meaning in structure, function or adjustment like having a quarter berth or a bimini top.

Some criteria might be,- Maximum price, Hull material, Inboard or outboard, keel configuartaion, geographical area, necessary clearances (vertical & draft), number of cabins, type of sailing rig, tankage, head, galley, wiring....

and then STOP! After you identify about ten essentials by presence and quality, you'll be able to search the market and eliminate about 95% of the boats. Then, when you find the finalists it will be time to consider the manufacturer and aesthetics and look for that "tingle" factor.

I will admit that I've had my current boat for 31 years, but I have done some shopping for my children's boats and for friends recently.
Old 30-05-2015, 13:39   #35

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I guess it's a long way from Evanston to your Kentucky lake.....

I asked Jim (my husband) about the Ingrid design. Some are timber; the Alajuela is fiberglass and build in Calif. We once knew a guy from Alaska, who had sailed his timber Ingrid (that he still wasn't finished fitting out) to Mexico with his wife to finish as they cruised. He was/is a professional diver up north, and had great stories to tell.

Hudson's idea of the list is an excellent one. We made a list of requirements before we bought this boat, actually 22 items on it, and (although that may have been a little bit of overkill) it only missed on one. The last few were of the nice to have variety, not deal breakers. It is a good idea (IMO) to also have it in your mind what the deal breakers might be. [Those will to some extent be idiosyncratic to you.)

But first, highest priority is getting health back, then take your sailing classes. They will involve older boats, and that is good because generally that's where you'll be looking when you want to purchase. And, like I said yesterday, it will be an interactive process with your self, and your preferences will emerge from living the experiences. How you interact with your life experiences always changes you, and I think you know that already.

Chartering is a whole different kettle of fish, and you should really know the "rules of the road" and how to sail before you charter: some charter companies now require it.

Since you have dreams of sailing far afield, may I suggest Letcher's book Self Steering For Single Handed Sailors. ? Once you've found the right section in the library, there's a whole world of reading ahead of you.

Enjoy,

Ann
Old 01-06-2015, 09:47   #36

Hello all!

Well yesterday I drove down to Kentucky Lake and the boat sales to look at several sailboats they had.
I really just wanted to get a better feel for the space on different size boats and know the difference in age on some.
It was a dreary cool old day by Kentucky Dam...not too many boats out.

So, here is what I learned.

1. A well cared for boat is easy to spot within a mess of those just perpetually docked.

2. I do not need a 36-40' boat. Repeating to myself.
I do not need a 36-40' boat.
I will gain maneuverability, ease of sail and the obvious fact it's a smaller boat means less to go wrong (not that they wont.)

3. I really really do not like boats that are all the same looking...i.e. Hunters, Beneteau, Jeneau, ect....not saying I might not end up with one, just that I do not care for the generic look.

4. I do not have to spend half as much money as I first thought.

5. I want a boat that has a motor that is easily worked on, not under the sink island or crammed in so deep you would lose your mind working on it.

6. I want a simple sail plan to begin with and rigging is important. I want just enough sail area as I can handle.

7. I want a boat to sail, and more importantly I do NOT need a deep ocean bluewater sailboat.

I need to learn to sail properly I have so much along the coast of America to see that I will be wise to buy accordingly. A coastal cruiser is now making sense.

8. I need to constantly update and revise my plan....and also I am finding a written plan has been the best help.

I mentioned buying twice....I think now with coming in at a much lower entry point I can learn and when I outgrow the boat or meet a wife I can move up then.

I can dream about all those grandiose sailing voyages on that big beautiful comfy boat and those dreams will remain just that, dreams.

I am finding I can be better informed, listen to those who have gone before and above all stay in motion.

I was "skeert" of a smaller boat when I first started thinking about this.
I see now that a 33' boat can be livable and take a sailor all over the globe.

And lastly,by taking my time looking and having the freedom to travel to get the boat I can wait till one of the listings you see that has a lot of sailing gear already with it and looks like some anal-retentive maniac owned it before it's so clean and organized.

Oh yeah, I also learned that I do not want a boat that has been charted, but one with minimal owners. (I keep thinking rental vehicles...eeeek)

Finally, a survey is a must!

Also went to doc this morning and got good news so it may push my action plan into play sooner than I thought.

Thanks for listening y'all,

M
Old 01-06-2015, 12:33   #37

Oh yeah, the place I went (Light House Landing) is the place where they hold that sailing school....and of course that person want there. No biggie, I got to see the little fleet of training sailboats and the place is really well kept.
Do not think I wanna learn to sail near a hydro-electric damn....but it might make me overcome the fear of broaching!

Just kidding... They sail on the other lake..
Old 01-06-2015, 18:37   #38

Quote:
Hello all!

Well yesterday I drove down to Kentucky Lake and the boat sales to look at several sailboats they had.
I really just wanted to get a better feel for the space on different size boats and know the difference in age on some.
It was a dreary cool old day by Kentucky Dam...not too many boats out.

So, here is what I learned.

1. A well cared for boat is easy to spot within a mess of those just perpetually docked.

2. I do not need a 36-40' boat. Repeating to myself.
I do not need a 36-40' boat.
I will gain maneuverability, ease of sail and the obvious fact it's a smaller boat means less to go wrong (not that they wont.) smaller means less berthing costs, lower hardware costs, and easier to manage

3. I really really do not like boats that are all the same looking...i.e. Hunters, Beneteau, Jeneau, ect....not saying I might not end up with one, just that I do not care for the generic look.

4. I do not have to spend half as much money as I first thought.

5. I want a boat that has a motor that is easily worked on, not under the sink island or crammed in so deep you would lose your mind working on it. Yes, ease of access to * everything* is very important.

6. I want a simple sail plan to begin with and rigging is important. I want just enough sail area as I can handle. Yes. Avoid the potential problems with in mast furling of main sails.

7. I want a boat to sail, and more importantly I do NOT need a deep ocean bluewater sailboat.

I need to learn to sail properly I have so much along the coast of America to see that I will be wise to buy accordingly. A coastal cruiser is now making sense. There will be a compromise between deeper draft (for better windward performance) and shallow draft (for better exploring of shallow areas. Some shallow boats will not be able to self right. Search on Polar Moment of Inertia for Sailboats.

8. I need to constantly update and revise my plan....and also I am finding a written plan has been the best help. Yes.

I mentioned buying twice....I think now with coming in at a much lower entry point I can learn and when I outgrow the boat or meet a wife I can move up then.

I can dream about all those grandiose sailing voyages on that big beautiful comfy boat and those dreams will remain just that, dreams.

I am finding I can be better informed, listen to those who have gone before and above all stay in motion.

I was "skeert" of a smaller boat when I first started thinking about this.
I see now that a 33' boat can be livable and take a sailor all over the globe.

And lastly,by taking my time looking and having the freedom to travel to get the boat I can wait till one of the listings you see that has a lot of sailing gear already with it and looks like some anal-retentive maniac owned it before it's so clean and organized.

Oh yeah, I also learned that I do not want a boat that has been charted, but one with minimal owners. (I keep thinking rental vehicles...eeeek)

Finally, a survey is a must!

Also went to doc this morning and got good news so it may push my action plan into play sooner than I thought. Excellent news.

Thanks for listening y'all,

M
[COLOR="blue"]Cheers, mate./COLOR]

Ann
Old 03-06-2015, 16:46   #39

I have been studying up on the Nor'sea 27.
This actually fits all I need but the space issue may be tight.
In return though I think for a beginner sailor it will be more in my comfort zone.

I want to go places...not sit about.

Any thoughts?

M
Old 03-06-2015, 18:59   #40

Quote:
In return though I think for a beginner sailor it will be more in my comfort zone.

Any thoughts?

M
Somewhat lightly built, but I know of one that circumnavigated.

Ann
Old 04-06-2015, 03:17   #41

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:

Any thoughts?

M

BlueMaxx,

The NS27 is a really good boat. I love mine. Spent more than I thought I would for my first boat but I think it's worth it. I think they're well made boats. There are 4 of them believed to do complete circumnavigations. Others have crossed the Atlantic and/or Pacific many times.

When I got mine, I wanted something I could comfortably spend a lot of time on, still be able to tow myself (good truck needed, if you tow), small enough to learn on but big and sturdy enough to sail anywhere I want. I'm 6'5" and standing headroom below is about 6"2" or so (I forget) but that doesn't bother me at all. I love spending time on my boat. If I was still in TN, I'd invite you over to check out my boat, it's only another hour down I-24. If/when I find a place to store it in VA, I'll go back to TN to pick it up.

If you haven't already, join up on the NS27 Owners group on Yahoo where you can research and ask more questions. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/NorSea27/info

Aside from myself, I think 3 or 4 other owners are also active on Sailnet.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:14   #42

Boat: Tartan 40

If you are looking for a coastal cruiser with lots of space, try a catalina 34 or 36. You could do the US east coast, gulf coast, New england, bahamas in one of those. Strong owner's association for help. Company offers good support I have heard. 36 has good engine access if I remember though I havent owned. IMHO better overall quality than the other production boats. Another option is a Tartan 37- fast cruiser, can go anywhere. Usually shoal draft. Good quality.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:54   #43

Of course I am partial to Cape Dory's I have a 27' for sale and I am finishing up restoring a 31 as well. If you are interested, drop me a line and I'll tell you about them
wizard1_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:04   #44

Boat: Nauticat 32

You said you don't like to freeze in Alaska. You might consider also buying a boat similar to mine (Nauticat 32). If you have a boat with a pilot house, that has also a steering wheel inside, that will expand your tolerable sailing area further up north without feeling cold at all. You will have also good heating in the cabin.

Just a thought. Why not expand the warm enough geographic area towards north.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 13:54   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
I had my boat in Kentucky Lake / Lake Barkley for a year. Really nice sailing. This is my first boat and first solo sailing (went out 3 times). Really wasn't all that bad. I was excited more than nervous.

Doesn't sound like you're going to buy a boat and sail around the world within a week so you're good there. Don't rush it. Research, learn and you'll be fine.

Welcome to CF and all the best to your sailing adventures.

Rhapsody,
Funny thing, I was searching for info on the 27 and came across your videos on the lake!

Wow, how cool...our A frame was towards the penitentiary. I know Eddyville and Katawa real well!

Man I love that little boat!

Anyway that was great...I am really getting a better understanding on what I need.

To think I once thought I had to have a 34' boat...no way.

I love thee small Cape Dory's, Bristols, Cheoy Lee Cadet and may others in thaat same realm.

I am still adamant about a full keel however and am also leaning towards a tiller.

Thanks everyone for your responses and suggestions. I have been researching them all.

Well, tomorrow I meet with the realtor and then the house will be going up for sale!

Wow...time flies and Im so excited about the future!

Cheers,

M