Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2012, 17:29   #1

Moving North

My husband and I currently live in NC and live on our sailboat. We have lived aboard for nearly 4 years now and absolutely love it. However, he is in the Marine Corp and pending orders to the Pentagon. We have looked at many marinas around Annapolis but to be quite honest the winters up there are making us very nervous as most of the marinas don't allow live aboards. We would like to bring the boat up there so we can live on it, but are worried about the weather and all that comes with it living on a boat. Any suggestions, ideas, opinions welcome. . Thanks
Kraden313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 17:43   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
You can heat a boat sufficiently in the mild Chessy winters. There are livaboards in Toronto. By far, the biggest headache is condensation. Try to insulate all lockers and any part of the hull. And add the shrink window film to all ports & hatches. Look around south of Annapolis for livaboard marinas, cheaper too.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 11:11   #3

Re: Moving North

Lots of marinas in Annapolis allow liveaboards; try Annapolis Landing, Port Annapolis, Bert Jabins, all with liveaboard communities. Daily commuter bus from Annapolis to downtown DC. I don't know how to get to the Pentagon from there, maybe metro? But know a Marine colonel from Annap Landing, year-round liveaboard, who routinely did the commute until he retired a couple of years ago.
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 11:23   #4

Boat: Beneteau 393

We live in Herrington Harbour South, Rose Haven, MD. It is a great marina, great people on the dock, too. You can take a commuter bus from near there to L'Enfant Plaza metro, and then take a short ride on the yellow line over to the Pentagon (which has its own metro stop).

Or you could drive to Suitland Metro, take the green line to L'Enfant, then over to Pentagon. (Close to what I do, but I don't work at the Pentagon.) Total time from cockpit door to desk for me is an hour and ten minutes. Painful, but probably about average for a D.C. commute, and you don't have to be stuck in traffic at all.

Hope this helps-

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 13:53   #5

I lived aboard for two winters in Baltimore at the Baltimore Marine Center. Besides the (huge) winter condensation problem (GET a good de-humidifier), be aware that marinas shut off the water in the winter. The BMC was an exceptional place to live for many reasons: they have a big tank and bring water to your boat in the winter; each slip gets one underground parking space - no scraping ice off your car; the floating docks are shoveled and salted after every snow storm; sooo much is within walking distance, you really only need one car for two people - there is a West Marine and several restaurants on the property, and a Safeway supermarket across the street. Additionally, they have a big pool, the bathrooms and laundry are nice, clean and convenient, there is a very nice gym on the property and when I lived there liveaboards got a free gym membership, we also got three free short hauls, but I think that perk is reduced. When I moved to FL I was blown away by how much more expensive FL is for SOOOO much less.

Annapolis is much more of a sailboat town than B-more, I spent several months on the hard at Port Annapolis and REALLY liked it - that place is a resort! (Jabins ... not so nice.) Personally I liked living in B-more better because the Inner Harbor and Fells Point were so fun. Somehow Annapolis seemed too touristy or something, I can't really put my finger on it, I did 90% of my boat stuff shopping in Annapolis and went there often, maybe because it was always so hard to find parking there. Likely someone will nail me for feeling that way, but if I suddenly decided I like suck @ss winters I would move back to B-more.

Be sure to try the commute during the commute hours your husband will be driving, I had to go to DC sometimes for my job and depending on traffic it was only 45 mins to an hour from B-more ("it" being DC, we didn't have clients at the Pentagon :-). I've ridden the Metro a few times, it is cool, but finding parking at the Metro station isn't always so easy. DC is really neat in that it is very easy to get around there without a car.

I'm a city gurl so if you are ok with more isolated surroundings visit the more rural marinas like the one GeoPowers suggested, several of them accept live aboards and the rural Chesapeake is Beautiful. Spinsheet is the local sailing rag and they are also online, be sure to check them out for leads.
ShipShape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 19:25   #6

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
You might want to have a look at the Quantico area. Not sure of the live aboard options in the marinas there but my guess is that this might be where he would be asigned base housing if you needed it. If it were me, I would want to be on the southside of the river when it comes to commute.
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 19:41   #7

Boat: Beneteau 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling View Post
You might want to have a look at the Quantico area. Not sure of the live aboard options in the marinas there but my guess is that this might be where he would be asigned base housing if you needed it. If it were me, I would want to be on the southside of the river when it comes to commute.
I have to disagree on several points. First, the OP was talking about living aboard, so base housing isn't important. Second, there is (IMO) no point in living on a sailboat if you can't actually go sailing. Living on the Bay is far superior for this. It is also colder inland than on the Bay. Finally, the commute time from Quantico to Pentagon is brutal no matter how you do it. I'm speaking from experience, I've lived both in Rose Haven and Garrisonville, VA....

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 20:53   #8

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail

I have two friends in Port Annapolis as live aboards and they love it. My club also accepts liveabourds and we are at the end of the Patapso at the Chesapeake Bay, not the city marina like Baltimore, but a suburban setting. We have winter water hook ups to the boats when the dock water is turned off.

No matter where you live the commute to DC will be hell. I live north of Baltimore and commute to DC every day ( I work at the US Capitol Blgd). Plan on 1.25 to 2 hours depending on how close to peak rush hour times. I go down to Annapolis and in on Rte 50.

Winter here can be begnin like last year or icy or deluged with snow. A good heaterand humidifier will be important.

dave
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:29   #9

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
I have to disagree on several points. First, the OP was talking about living aboard, so base housing isn't important. Second, there is (IMO) no point in living on a sailboat if you can't actually go sailing. Living on the Bay is far superior for this. It is also colder inland than on the Bay. Finally, the commute time from Quantico to Pentagon is brutal no matter how you do it. I'm speaking from experience, I've lived both in Rose Haven and Garrisonville, VA....

Frank
I worked with FedEx in Northern VA and I can say that trying to get 'big trucks' around the DC metro has me all to aware of how pathetic the NoVA roadways are!

And Frank, not sure if you were in Garrisonville before or after the new mixing bowl opened, but the commute isn't nearly as bad as it used to be, probably because you know longer need to get on the beltway. It appears there are bigger slow downs at the bridges these days, but that just might be the 'beltway curse'.

And as far as 'base housing' goes, not knowing the 'paygrade' or position they are moving up there as(there is quite a difference between E-3 and O-3 in pay), with the cost of the metro DC area a base housing position my be unavoidable. And they might even still station GI families at Camp David for a Pentagon assignment....not sure.

But for the OP, there are a few different options available to ya, you will need more details of the assignment first...in order to know exactly what direction/location you should look.

I will agree, the bay is a much better place to be if you truly want to sail. But the Potomac will get you to the bay...its just a longer ride by river.
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 18:24   #10

This is all great information and much appreciated!!! . At this point we are definitely moving. After much research and numerous phone calls to many marinas, we might be docking at Port Annapolis. It seems to have the most pros considering all that we have going on. It's a tad pricey.....but we really haven't found anything that makes the top of the list. All of the responses have been extremely helpful and we certainly appreciate it. .
Old 04-08-2012, 21:31   #11

We ave friends who laive aboard at Port Annapolis. Top level facility. No marina in Annapolis will be reasonable by the way. A year round slip in our club 50X14 would run you less than 2000 with 1000 membership dues and 1000 you spend in the restaurant/bar. Think about it. It's right on the Bay, hurricane hole.nice facility also. Would be a 20 minute further drive to DC

Dave
Old 05-08-2012, 07:58   #12

Thanks for the information Dave. When you say "our club"....what club are you referring to? We are open to any options and ideas at this point and will be making a trip up there next weekend to visit various marinas. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2012, 19:22   #13

Maryland Yacht Club. Oldest yacht club on the Chesapeake. Not a snobby place like some clubs. We have 15 live aboards in 120 overall slips. Beautiful setting. Set sails right after leaving the slip. From the clubhouse you can see across the Chesapeake to the Eastern Shore. Hurricane hole with piers and docks less than 5years. Fuel dock, clubhouse with restaurant, pump out at the fuel dock or in your slip. Winter water we have been there for 7years. I can meet your there and show you around if you are there by August 15. After that we are leaving for a 24 trip to Martha's Vineyard and Newport on our boat. Google it and check the website. Don't be put off by commodores and stuff it's mostly ceremonial. Also all slip members are the owners of the club and vote club policies and budget. Feel free to PM me for more info and I can give you my phone number. I commute from north of Baltimore to DC every day as I work at the US Capitol Bldg. I know the area well including Annpolis and Port Annapolis.

Dave
Old 09-08-2012, 08:22   #14

Dave thanks again for that information. I did call the Maryland Yacht Club and that is something we will most likely check out this Saturday while we are there. The commute from there to DC might be an issue, but we are not ruling it out until we have checked it out. I am still a little confused on the breakdown of the $5,000. What is the $1,000 bar/restaurant tab and how does that work? Thanks again for the information.

Kris and Denise
Old 09-08-2012, 12:15   #15

Why 5000 I thought they waived the initiation fee for now. The restaurant "chit" of 1000 is required. You get any food and beverage with that including buying guests meals and drink. So you recover this money in food and beverage. The fees are also spread out. Slip fees in two payments, membership fees in 5 payments, food and beverage every month or 1000 spendown. Discount on fuel also

I will be at the club this Saturday and Sunday preparing our vessel for a Thursday departure for New England and would be glad to meet you and show you around. I am in slip D-20.

The commute from the club is about 15 minutes longer than Port Annapolis but not a traffic filled one. The area is much less crowded . Port Annapolis is a first class place I have friends there. On the average the cost for styling at MYC is 2000 cheaper.

Dave