Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2016, 10:29   #1

Moving aboard - What to do with my stuff?

My wife has convinced me to move aboard, so we have started the process. First step is to get rid of the house. We had an estate sale last weekend, followed by numerous pickups loads to good will. We have a couple of boxes "earmarked" to send to our daughter. A couple of pictures to my sister. We are trying to avoid putting anything into storage. So my main question is what to do with important documents such as marriage certificates, birth certificates, insurance policies and stuff like that? We are determined to get rid of all the junk we have accumulated over the years. Would love to hear suggestions on how other have done it. Once we sell the house we will be purchasing something in the neighborhood of a 47 foot Beneteau. Since we are both working for the next couple of years, we plan to live in a marina in SW Florida, before cutting the lines for good.

Thanks everyone for your secrets.

Steve
SWFLman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:33   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Moving aboard - What to do with my stuff?

Unless you plan to sink, bring important papers with you. A Pelican box is perfect and they float.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:34   #3

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I just posted on the thread about going now rather than sitting in a park about just this subject. We did the same thing. We got a storage unit (10x10) since I wanted to store tools and some other stuff besides just papers, which were also in there.

I did worry about fire or water damage though. You might consider putting your docs in something waterproof, and even fire "proof" and put it in a small storage unit that has a sprinkler system and good security. Theft is also a significant issue. Other than that I know some people give small things like this to relatives or good friends to keep safe while they are out. Not everyone will do that but some do.

Our storage unit cost $100/month back then and is probably 50% higher now. You should be able to get a much smaller place for much less.

Good luck.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:50   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

If its really a small amount then leave with family. If it's more than that then check Shipping and Transfer companies. They do long term storage for cheaper than getting your own storage unit. $50 a month gets you a fair amount of secure storage.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:08   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

For documents you can simply get a safety deposit box. And I'd also suggest making sure that you have notarized copies of anything important, & perhaps asking family or a trusted friend to tuck one copy away for you. Plus you can convert them to an electronic format as well.

Just be sure that any copies will meet the legal requirements in order to be used as originals if needed. And such criteria vary from document to document, & location to location. Sometimes as a document may be connected to a company who's headquarters are in another state, which operates under different laws.

Another option might be to secure them with an attorney, or similar.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:09   #6

Boat: Shopping

Why not a safety deposit box at a bank?
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:15   #7

I always scan or take a photo of all important documents and email them to myself and my wife. I can then access them most anywhere in the world should something happen to them while traveling. Just a thought. Since you are moving aboard and the boat is your home, I would take them with you. I guess you keep them at your house now, shouldn't be any different. Just put them in a small waterproof case as suggested.
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:20   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

For other stuff I have a couple of friends who had vans parked in the marina lot to store odd items and to use to go to the store once in a while.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 13:16   #9

Boat: PAE, Mason, 44 - Music

Make high-quality digital copies and spread the bits around so that you can always retrieve a PDF of the documents. Then carry them onboard protected in a water proof folder/bag. You can always get new documents. Oh don't forget to make high quality copies of your passport. Also print out a couple of those along with your Vessel Doc, most countries want a copy when you enter and it make it easier if you have a copy to hand to them.
What did you do with your old photos? I scanned all of mine into digital formats so that I don't have to carry them on the boat.
What did you do with your album and CD collection .... same thing.
ardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 13:19   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my remaining brother has my life in his safe. he likes that.
my momma has signatory powers on my bank account. i am without worry.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 13:35   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We went the safe deposit route, but after a few years, the bank moved our box without notifying us. So we have taken those items and carry the originals. Ultimately there is nowhere perfectly safe. Although the bank did not disturb the contents, that, plus the fact that you can't just let funds sit, or they assume you're dead, so you have to have a way to keep the account "active" enough to forestall that, just makes it a huge hassle. I now am less trusting of institutions in general than I once was.

We also went the storage locker route, and that allowed me to save items that I wanted my daughter and granddaughter to have till the daughter was old enough to appreciate those heirlooms. However, we also paid a lot for that luxury, and if you can bring yourself to dispose of everything, I actually think that is the better choice, it really lets you start fresh with your new lifestyle.

Ann
Old 10-08-2016, 13:44   #12

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

The keep sakes we distributed to family. Important papers have been digitised, one copy in the cloud and on hard drive back up.
Important originals we will store in a water proof box at my moms. If we need them she will send to us the fastest way possible. Just a small file folder box.
Old 10-08-2016, 13:56   #13

Boat: Beneteau 393

We have gone electronic on almost everything. Investments, banking, trust document, tax records, insurance, etc. Photos are scanned and stored on-line.

The only important paper documents I can think of that we have are USCG documentation, state boat and vehicle registration/title, loan papers, passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate; and documents we are required to carry in my wallet…SS card, driver’s license, health care card, insurance card, dive certification, credit card.

Scanned copies of these are also stored online.
Mark Stillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 13:59   #14

Boat: PAE, Mason, 44 - Music

I have two boxes of stuff with my brother. Everything else I gave away and have earned a billion Karma points. And should I die, my bother gets the contents of those boxes, if he hasn't found someone to take them as well as the art work I've left with him.
I had a storage locker for the first year, but then decide it was to expensive and I had to prove i could fit it all on the boat.
My general rule of thumb: if it isn't a spare part or safety gear and you haven't used in in the last year, dump it, cause it is just taking up space.
ardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 14:01   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Moving aboard - What to do with my stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
We went the safe deposit route, but after a few years, the bank moved our box without notifying us. So we have taken those items and carry the originals. Ultimately there is nowhere perfectly safe. Although the bank did not disturb the contents, that, plus the fact that you can't just let funds sit, or they assume you're dead, so you have to have a way to keep the account "active" enough to forestall that, just makes it a huge hassle. I now am less trusting of institutions in general than I once was.

We also went the storage locker route, and that allowed me to save items that I wanted my daughter and granddaughter to have till the daughter was old enough to appreciate those heirlooms. However, we also paid a lot for that luxury, and if you can bring yourself to dispose of everything, I actually think that is the better choice, it really lets you start fresh with your new lifestyle.

Ann

Well said, I think maybe that what may happen is if in a couple of years that we decide we want to do this long term we may get rid of the stuff, just too much to do right now, I took the house away from her, I think getting rid of all the furniture and everything may just be to much to do all at once. Better I think to ease into it as opposed to jumping in.
And if it turns out that this isn't the life for us, then if we have furniture and other prized possessions it won't be as tough to go back to a dirt dwelling. See we have only spent three weeks on the boat while traveling, and that is really a vacation. I figure we need at least a year before we will really know, maybe longer?

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote