Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2012, 18:34   #16

Re: Living aboard

Thanks to all of you who responded. I would like to post some of your comments on our website and Facebook page. If you would rather I didn't post yours, please let me know. You can find us at BCNR | British Columbia Nautical Residents Association
Thanks again for your support.
Rick
rickschnurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 20:55   #17

Boat: 54 foot MV Viking 1

Having read some poorly written and negative articles about liveaboards from local newpaper reporters recently, it is refreshing to see some of the myths explained by one of our own.

Thanks MV Julie May and crew.
Old 17-11-2012, 22:08   #18

Boat: Chris-Craft 38

There is a trend at least here in BC, in marginalizing ,singling out,and kicking out those living aboard

In my opinion it stems from shear laziness on some useless harbor-masters

If there is a problem with a live-aboard, just deal with it,on a case by case business
The harbourmasters are well paid in most cases
For that pay the associations and harbor owners deserve to get a qualified manager's that can tactfully deal with issues as they come up

We will end up with

Harbor policy of don't ask don't tell
Sneak-aboard's that have to be obedient and keep a close eye on the rules or suffer the consequences of being labeled as a not allowed live-aboard

The best harbor's in my opinion are those that do not discriminate

An unpretentious friendly mix of
liveaboards ,sports ,sailboats, commercial fishing and private yachts both year round and transient in balance
Stray-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 23:52   #19

Boat: Alberg 30
Don't ask don't tell is alive and well in Vancouver marinas. I don't mind too much anymore but I sometimes wish it were different
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 04:09   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray-Cat View Post
....................In my opinion it stems from shear laziness on some useless harbor-masters

If there is a problem with a live-aboard, just deal with it,on a case by case business
The harbourmasters are well paid in most cases
For that pay the associations and harbor owners deserve to get a qualified manager's that can tactfully deal with issues as they come up.........................

The best harbor's in my opinion are those that do not discriminate......................................

I was first introduced to the concept of a "Harbormaster" after already being a liveaboard for more than 25 years. There is no discrimination if there is no authority at this bureaucaratic level to deal with issues. I've still never encountered a "harbormaster" in the southeast US, but there are issues and they are typically enforced by the USCG, marine police or the Florida Wildlife Commission. The only enforcement activity I have witnessed in Florida has been when people are anchored in a channel; without a registration decal; moving to fast in a manatee zone or with equipment safety checks,- life jackets and such. I hear of more enforcement issues by authorities here in Florida, but with over forty years of living aboard here, I haven't seen it yet. Maybe I just haven't been in the controversial locations.
Old 18-11-2012, 08:35   #21

Great post Rick.
When I first became interested in this lifestyle I read an article about a certain politician in the PNW area that was campaigning to clean up & get rid of those darned live aboard culprits. Long story short, those durned live aboards were also registered to vote. "She" was given the boot instead.
You may have read about that one.
-Bruce

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote