Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2015, 15:38   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Liveaboards In Nova Scotia

Skippy, this is an old thread and Jude hasn't posted since 2013.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 15:55   #32

Boat: still looking for the right Tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Skippy, this is an old thread and Jude hasn't posted since 2013.
Yes I have noticed, DeepFreeezzzze... didnt want give up "hope" :-)

So what to do best to find some other folks with Nova Scotia experience ?? :-)
Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 17:11   #33

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Friends stayed in Armdale in 2007, bubblers worked fine. Electricity at the dock, and parking next to the boat.

It's been a while though, regards being in Armdale, but it would still be my first choice. As a matter of fact, once we launch, we plan on going over for a winter, so we'll let you know... whenever.

We love Nova Scotia, if you've any questions, I'd be glad to respond.

Cheers.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 18:07   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by svquintana View Post
Friends stayed in Armdale in 2007, bubblers worked fine. Electricity at the dock, and parking next to the boat.

It's been a while though, regards being in Armdale, but it would still be my first choice. As a matter of fact, once we launch, we plan on going over for a winter, so we'll let you know... whenever.

We love Nova Scotia, if you've any questions, I'd be glad to respond.

Cheers.
Paul.
Hi, Paul & Crew of S/V Quintana :-)

... very kind of you. Tks. Armdale looks fine, indeed.

I look for places with "moorings". As I intend to live on a Trimaran in the size of 35 to 45 foot (still searching and yet not bought) with low draft (less than 1/2 meter), e.g. such one...

or such one...

So I look for places with "moorings". The boat shall be independently in maximum, e.g. with Watermaker and Solar.

So I dont need a "box" in a marina with electricity.

Actually I thought about the "South East part", down from Halifax anywhere. As I work independently from time and place I only need quick Internet speed. Best would be LTE.

The Bay of Fundy is too heavily with extreme tidals (the biggest in the world I have read). Very impressive indeed but not for a "living on a boat" area as I see it... as I am not too heavily addicted with "wale watching".

You made a good point addressing the thematic: "ice free harbour". I suppose you meant one of the different tools to keep the water zones ice free by dock bubblers, dock deicers or ice eaters.

Indeed, that's one important issue. Actually I try to find out for now which places are "ice free" with moorings.

I lurked around on the website of Canadian Ice Service.

The historical seasonal datas are interesting...

Looking at the 30 year ice atlas, it seems the highest ice concentration is around 19th March as shown in the weekly maps...

As we can see, the South East coast of NS seems outside the risky ice zone, right ?

Do exist some other interesting "bays" along the South East coast with moorings and a "living boat community" ? - Is there anywhere a map or links ?

Tks in advance for your support.
-------

P.S.: I have spotted some beautifully places, but do not know if they are "ice free". - E.g. Prospect Village little bit Southern of Halifx with some few moorings... feels like to be beamt back with a time mashine into 19th century. :-)

Chester Harbour close to Lunenburg has moorings, too.

Next door to Lunenburg and Chester harbour seems a big Mooring field in the Mahone Bay. Is there still the "wooden boat festival" annually in summer ?

The 3 churches of Mahone... :-)

Where can I get informations about the "legal aspects" to know that it is possible to lay on such moorings with a "living boat" ?
Old 07-10-2015, 18:58   #35

Winters here are so variable it's hard to predict what will or won't freeze over. Obviously the most sheltered coves, such as at Armdale, are more likely to freeze. Armdale does have some moorings and one or more live-aboards during the winter.

Many fishing harbours in the south shore are also open year round but that's never guaranteed, and the further south you go the more tenuous the transportation links to Halifax and the airport. Lunenburg and Mahone Bay are two sailing communities about an hour's drive from Halifax. They are lovely thriving summer towns but but dry up a fair bit in the summer. Lunenburg is the busier winter spot and a formerly busy year round fishing port that can still ice up. I would check in here

Waterfront Marinas | Waterfront Development

The smaller year round fishing villages include Nortwest Cove, Sambro, Clarks Harbour and Woods Harbour but I don't see them as good mooring areas, or stay over areas. Hopefully others will respond, but I think services and land connections make most of the southwest less desirable for wintering over.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:05   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob2 View Post
... The smaller year round fishing villages include Nortwest Cove, Sambro, Clarks Harbour and Woods Harbour but I don't see them as good mooring areas, or stay over areas. Hopefully others will respond, but I think services and land connections make most of the southwest less desirable for wintering over.
Tks Brob2 !

... sounds great. The South peak might be attractive during summer, indeed. Barrington, Port Clyde, Thomasville, Cape Negro Island... lots of places with nice spots for sailing around and make stop-overs.

Is there any central "institution by government" I have to inform myself about "living on a boat" and the legal aspect ? I started a new thread here.... "legal aspects of living aboard in Nova Scotia (Canada)"
Old 08-10-2015, 05:24   #37

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I haven't read the whole thread yet, albeit it's Very intriguing. But, that said, have you factored in; Parking, Shower useage (on land), getting fresh H2O for the boat, & any dinghy seamanship required in foul weather & HIGH winds?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:54   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
I haven't read the whole thread yet, albeit it's Very intriguing. But, that said, have you factored in; Parking, Shower useage (on land), getting fresh H2O for the boat, & any dinghy seamanship required in foul weather & HIGH winds?
sure, I have... :-) I know most kind of living on board, on small 30 footers up to bigger 80 footers, monohulls and catamarans.

And I know different structures of sea areas, e.g. perfect marina infrastructures (shower, laundry services etc. ...) in Baltic Sea area and island hopping in the Mediterranean with "0" infrastructure.

Having shower on a Trimaran is not a big issue... under deck one can use a propane therme for hot water, so no big water tank needed. The community of "Tiny house owners" shows how it goes...

And the deck shower does the job very well, as during summer the heating is delivered easily by mother nature...

I have to work 50% per month to earn the living. So 2 weeks monthly are roughly for sailing, repairings/maintenance/refitting and caring for the external infrastructure/logistics.

As said, a water maker will do the job on board. No need to depend heavily on land based resources.

And I address the questions about "electricity based on solar/alternatively energies" in another thread here:
How to calculate a Solar system for a Trimaran ?
Old 08-10-2015, 07:48   #39

Living aboard in Nova Scotia:

There is no "central authority" you must inform of your liveaboard status. Living aboard a boat in Canada is completely legal. The only authority you'll have to inform, regards your living in Canada, would be the immigration department. As long as you're here legally, you can live aboard your boat legally. If you're in the great lakes, you'll need a holding tank for black water. But in Atlantic Canada, it's not required. The Bras D'or Lakes will soon be (or perhaps already is) an exception, as they're talking about making holding tanks a requirement within the lakes.

If you plan on travelling, or sailing, 2 weeks of every month, you'll essentially be cruising the coast of Nova Scotia, in winter. Brr. It's possible, but it won't be comfortable. You'll have to inform yourself of ice conditions in your destination harbour, before you leave. Most of the harbours you mention will be ice free for 10 months of the year, and some years will be ice free all year. January and February are the coldest months here, and you will find nearly all of the harbours are navigable until January. Those that do ice up will normally be navigable by March.

Having said all that, most things of interest, in the Maritime Provinces, are of little interest at -15C and covered in ice and snow.

I look forward to reading of your adventure.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:27   #40

Tks Paul... would you be so kind, to copy & paste your comment about the "legal aspects" in following thread... so maybe for laters... other sailors can get an orientation too if they'd be in a smiliarly situation.

Here the thread:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1932416

Tks
Skippy
Old 08-10-2015, 13:07   #41

Quote:
If you plan on travelling, or sailing, 2 weeks of every month, you'll essentially be cruising the coast of Nova Scotia, in winter. Brr. It's possible, but it won't be comfortable.
I am aware of that... as I live in North Europe. That Region of South East Coast of NS is on the same latitude as "South France" around Marseille...

Quote:
You'll have to inform yourself of ice conditions in your destination harbour, before you leave. Most of the harbours you mention will be ice free for 10 months of the year, and some years will be ice free all year. January and February are the coldest months here, and you will find nearly all of the harbours are navigable until January. Those that do ice up will normally be navigable by March.
Yes, I am aware of that... but tks making it more clear.... see my top posting. Already checked the ice charts and "Ice Reports". :-)

Quote:
Having said all that, most things of interest, in the Maritime Provinces, are of little interest at -15C and covered in ice and snow.
haha... when I was in German military during manoevers we had to sleep outside (in sleeping bags) at -20°C.

And I grew up with skiing in the Alpes... so I know very well what is going with Ice and Snow. I was Federal Champion of South Germany in cross-country Skiing. So I can handle such climatical conditions. :-)

Quote:
I look forward to reading of your adventure.
Yes, its time for... the huge flood of refugees in Germany let me drown. I feel claustrophobic taking my breath to imagine, that from next year on we have 1.5 million refugges from Syria, Irak and Africa...

Germany will come into huge troubles... as I am no more a youngster, I dont need that kind of political adventure anymore... enough behind with "COld war", "Iron curtain" (Berlin wall) and German Reunion.

I want my peace, a relaxed atmosphere and not this madness with "European Union" we already have talks here, that soon NATO might start a war against Putin's Russia because of Ukraine conflict. All totally madness... not funny.

But I am realistically... I think to buy a small "land". Not big (in relation to Canadian scales). Just 1-2 acres.... front coast. In Germany this would be tremendously huge. Average size in Germany is 300 m2 (= 0.0741316 acres) E.g. something like this in South East.

And there depositing a small used "Mobile Home". E.g. something like this.

Nothing big, too... just to have a kind of "land base"... beside living on the boat. All together it's roughly 35-45 Thousand Euros. To give you an idea: for that amount of money, nobody in Germany can buy a one apartement room in a bigger house (without garden and without balcony). Such a one room apartement would cost in Germany at least 110-120 Thousand Euros (161-176 Thousand CAN Dollars) to get a "sea view + garden". Totally overprized.

For me all this what I know about Nova Scotia and Canadians is very fascinating. I always wanted live in that combination. Halifax still gives me the feeling to be European, thats another charming aspect. I wouldnt identify myself with a very "American style".

This "over organized" Germany and its perfectionism doesn't allow to realize my plans. I'd need to be multimillionaire to afford it. The stress level here is immense. - It makes sick (we have more than 1 million Germans who need daily sleeping pills because they cannot handle the stress of this system.)

In Germany "Mobile homes" are forbidden to live in "officially". Round 30,000 Germans (mostly pensionists of social low class) do it illegally but the federal governments plans more restrictive laws so these people might have to pay penalties and leave these homes. - Its just allowed to use them as "camping homes" on weekends, officially. Isn't that crazy ?

I like it that Canada gives more "space", not just geographically. But same less reglementations. I was happy to read from your post that nobody cares here if you live on a boat and where you lay it on a mooring.

The ecological aspect is a good thing. Sweden restricted in spring 2015 that all boats must have holding tanks (black water) for entering into harbours/marinas. So it should be everywhere in the world. I plan for the Trimaran a "water free composit toilet". As I have to take care for "leight weight" (enough to have fresh water tank + diesel tank).

At least it seems the people in Nova Scotia are not crazy for gigantism (in the way as German politics pushed it over decades so Germany became "export world champion" only being overspeeded last years by China).

I am aware about the problems, too. E.g. the Lobster Fishing industries went down and not lots of work for employees there. And some other smaller problems (e.g. education system in schools). Problems exist everywhere in the world - But it seems NS isn't overpriced, compared to other wealthy regions in Canada, e.g. British Columbia. Right ?

The negative changes in Germany take away my energy and I have the feeling I cant breath anymore. You understand ?

My best friend she lives in Hamilton / Toronto having emigrated in 2008 to Canada from South America clearly confirms me that all is going smoothly (at least outside of the big central cities like Toronto). Pity she had to give up her Dr. med. job in South America. Now she is driving a school bus and bringing every day 80 hyper shouting kids to school and back. But she no more suffers South American dictatorship and highly corruption and her two kids get funded for studying at universities. A coin always have two sides.

As you see, I am not a "mad guy" sitting desperatly in winter on a boat freezing, and all around heavily thick ice I cant sail away from the bay waiting till March.... even having the risk, that the drifting ice might damage the light weighted Trimaran.

Where are you sailing, Paul ? Do you have an own boat for yourself or family ? Or do you offer it for charter, day sailing or sail education, too ?
Old 14-10-2015, 06:32   #42

Jude, I know your question is about Halifax, but I am pretty sure Iroquois Marine Services offers year round live aboard services, its only 90 minutes from Montreal.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 12:43   #43

Hi Jude, thanks for your comments and questions.

We are presently building a 15m catamaran, and are at the fairing stage, which seems to take forever.

Previous to our building a catamaran, we cruised the Caribbean for several years, crossed the atlantic, and spent the winter in La Rochelle. We also cruised the Atlantic coast of Portugal, Spain, France, UK and Ireland on our monohull. La Rochelle, by the way, is many times nicer in the winter than any part of Nova Scotia. Halifax, in 2015, received 2,780mm of snow, and we received nearly 5,000mm here in PEI. When we were in La Rochelle, we received somewhere around 200mm of snow that winter. Quite difference.

Although 2015 was a particularly heavy snowfall year, you shouldn't compare it to similar latitudes in Western Europe. That would be like comparing it to a similar latitude in Western North America. The west is much warmer than the east here.

I'm glad you're accustomed to cold temperature sleeping, I did alot of that as well, in my youth.

Come over to Canada, and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.

Stay well.
Paul.
Old 22-10-2015, 12:03   #44

I found an interesting article... maybe for those a new perspecitve sailing and living along the coast of NS who like to know more about the historical background of "Boating in Nova Scotia"... :-)

Coast of Nova Scotia Steeped in History
Lighthouses, islands decorate shoreline

written by Rob Gorham

Link: Boating Destinations - Historic Coastal Nova Scotia

As we never know how long websites exist, I printed the article as PDF for offline reading you can get as attachment, too.
Old 26-10-2015, 07:58   #45

Pls take notice my question in the "Navigation" sub directory of this forum...

Where to get free Charts for East Canada / Nova Scotia ?

Tags
nova scotia