Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2015, 11:02   #1

Live aboard issues?

Just thinking that I may want to escape these cold Maine winters ..... Liveaboard for 5-6 months in Florida or Georgia( November to April or so).
My questions
Marinas that welcome Liveaboards
AND
have facilities to store the boat "on the hard" during lay up periods
AND
what do I have to watch out for regarding length of time I can stay and not have to register boat, pay local taxes etc. in the state I'm living aboard in. The vessel is Documented ... Maine
All help us appreciated
Bill
Maine_bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 11:22   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Live aboard issues?

90 days, your registering it, Fl has no tax on boat and no income tax.
Did you pay sales tax on boat when you bought it is the one gotcha that comes to mind.
Conceivably you may have to show proof of that?
Must be hundreds of marinas that will do what you want, if not thousands?
There are Gazillions of you Yankees down here
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 11:24   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

if you go to Active Captain you can click on marina websites and look at rate etc including for liveaboard till you go crazy and cry

https://activecaptain.com/index.php
Old 19-02-2015, 11:44   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Georgia at one time had a no liveaboard rule but I am not sure if it is still in effect. It certainly is not generally enforced as I met plenty of liveaboards when I was there.

FL will require you to get a state registration if you stay longer than 90 days (same with most states) but the cost is minimal, generally $100-$200 max. There is a possible sales and use tax liability but if you are a non FL resident, have purchased and used the boat in your home state for at least 6 months then you will be exempt. Or if you paid sales tax in your home state when you purchased the boat you will be credited that if FL decides you are not exempt.

Otherwise, no state income tax, no property tax on boats, nice weather. Although in north FL we're looking at mid twenties in the morning I think that beats what you're getting in ME.

Generally the further north in Florida the cheaper it will be although parts of the Keys are much cheaper than Miami/Ft Lauderdale area.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 11:45   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Bill,
Florida is full of marinas that welcome liveaboards. If you are confronted with registering your boat in Florida simply do it. Registration for your boat will probably be about $150/year depending on length. While your at it, go ahead and register your leagal address in Florida through St. Brendans Isle since there's no state income tax in Florida.

There is no need to have your documentation port match your residence. Your local taxes will be no more than the 6 to 7% sales tax on retail goods.

Many marinas in Florida have storage facilities on the hard. Many are in hurricane safe areas. You can chose your dockage rates from around $2,000/month down to $350/month with the biggest difference being wether the dock staff wears uniforms and there is a "tiki bar" or if iguanas hang out on the dock and the dock hand wears cut-off shorts.
Old 19-02-2015, 12:33   #6
F51

If your boat is 25+ years old, you can get "Antique" registration in Florida. I think mine was $15/year.
F51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 12:45   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Many marinas in Florida have storage facilities on the hard. Many are in hurricane safe areas. You can chose your dockage rates from around $2,000/month down to $350/month with the biggest difference being wether the dock staff wears uniforms and there is a "tiki bar" or if iguanas hang out on the dock and the dock hand wears cut-off shorts.
Funny but very true.
Old 19-02-2015, 12:49   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Unless the state has changed their rules it's a thirty year old requirement for the "antique" vessel sticker and the original propulsion engine must still be installed.

The Florida definition of an "antique" vessel often sounds absurd to those in New England where antique vessels are often from the 19th century! Wood in cold water seems to do well.
Old 19-02-2015, 13:39   #9
F51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Unless the state has changed their rules it's a thirty year old requirement for the "antique" vessel sticker and the original propulsion engine must still be installed.

The Florida definition of an "antique" vessel often sounds absurd to those in New England where antique vessels are often from the 19th century! Wood in cold water seems to do well.
Ah, 30 years, yes. I stand corrected. And yes, I was fortunate to have the original Ford Lehman still chugging away
F51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 14:42   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Do you need Florida registration of the boat is USCG registered?

We bought the boat in Md, but moved it immediatly to De. No sales and tax.

Now if we change our state of residence to Fl, and keep the boat there for more than 90 days, will we have to pay Florida sales and tax?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 16:40   #11

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post

Now if we change our state of residence to Fl, and keep the boat there for more than 90 days, will we have to pay Florida sales and tax?
You must have moved your boat mighty quickly to avoid paying sales tax in MD, but all you'll have to pay after 90 days in FL is a minimal registration fee whether it's Coast Guard Registered or not.
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 17:47   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post

The sales and use tax in Florida is pretty specific in who should pay and who is exempt.

1. If you paid sales tax in another state you are credited for that amount. If FL tax is lower you pay nothing. If Florida tax is higher you pay the difference.

2. If you were a resident of another state and you purchase and use the boat in another state for a least six months, then later you move to Florida then you are exempt from Florida sales and use tax. You have to prove that you bought and legitimately used the boat elsewhere and did not just keep it out of FL for six months to beat the tax.

3. It is correctly USCG Documentation. Registration is a state deal. FL and most other east coast states require you register the boat in their state if you keep the boat in the state more than 90 days. Does not matter if the boat is USCG documented and/or registered in another state or even three or four other states. Keep the boat in FL 90 days and they want their money, but it's only a $100 or so, maybe less for a smaller boat.