Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2015, 02:15   #1

Just Getting Started (Oahu)

Aloha to all,

This is my first post. My name is Jason, 31 and I'm living in Kaneohe on Oahu, HI. I'm planing on going to the mainland to buy a boat to liveabord. I'm learning the parts of the boat and about trimming the sails. I have a book on the way that teaches navigation.

I know I need to know more about the sorts of sail boats on the market and how long one can expect to own a boat -- I'm on a budget. I also need to do some sailing. I've never sailed before!

Any advice to someone just getting stated out would be kindly received, and if any one is on Oahu and would like to go sailing, please let me know.
Lakona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 20:03   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Just Getting Started (Oahu)

Aloha and welcome aboard!
There are a few forum members on Oahu so I'm hoping they'll reply and hook up with you. If you are in any way involved with the military there are MWR sailing instructions available at Pearl and Hickam and I think too at Kaneohe.
I'd recommend one of their courses and they are not too expensive.
Good luck in getting started.
kind regards,
Old 23-04-2015, 21:08   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy, Aloha, and Welcome Aboard the Forum Jason!

I spent a week on a sailboat in Kaneohe Bay (and at the yacht club there) before sailing over to Kauai. Good memories. Nice location! Pretty Wahines on the beach!

For someone who has never sailed before but wants to become a sailor, I suggest the following:

1. Read everything you can about sailing and boats. There is always something else to learn, and the learning never stops. This is one of the challenging and rewarding parts of sailing.
2. Watch free videos on Youtube related to sailing and cruising. If you have Amazondotcom's Prime membership, you can also find free videos about sailing there too.
3. If you can afford it, take some formal sailing lessons, with an ASA qualified instructor if possible. A good instructor can get you started right and prevent bad habits from forming.
4. Make yourself available to crew for other boat owners (Other People's Boats).

TIP 1: A good book to get is "Chapman's Piloting." It is a classic (but updated and in its 64th edition!) reference work (been around for almost 100 years) about boating (and sailing) and has lots of terminology and illustrations that will help any boater be more informed and educated about what to do on the boat and on the water.

TIP 2: Another good book for learning the basics of sailing is "The Annapolis Book of Sailing." The Annapolis Book of Seamanship: Fourth Edition [John Rousmaniere, Mark Smith]

TIP 3: A good place to start learning something about classic boats (mostly older boats from the 1970s and 1980s, so lower priced now as used boats) that are popular in the US waters is a website focused on "Bluewater Boats." Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts : Bluewaterboats.org

Learning the Ropes (or Jargon)

One of the first things one encounters when first learning to sail is that there is a lot of "jargon" or sailing terms used by sailors. It can be intimidating to newbies who are unfamiliar with the many terms.

It can take a while to learn it, and I doubt anyone knows it ALL accurately.

You can buy books with glossaries. You can even find nautical terms online. Here is a link to an online glossary with 500 terms defined. I have no connection to the site or the sailing school that owns that site. But, the list of definitions can help any sailor. 

Glossary; Over 500 sailing & nautical terms defined.

Good luck on your sailing adventures and have fun!

Steady
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 12:34   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha and welcome aboard!
If you are in any way involved with the military there are MWR sailing instructions available at Pearl and Hickam and I think too at Kaneohe.
Aloha SkiprJohn,

I have a friend who is ex military and he says that we may be able to take advantage of the courses taught on base. Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 24-04-2015, 13:09   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Go over to the Kaneohe yacht club and post a 'crew available' on their bulletin board. If you don't mind going over the Pali, do the same at the Hawaii and Waikiki Yacht Clubs. Always racers looking for crew. Crew who'll show up regularly for races are in great demand.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 14:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakona View Post
Aloha SkiprJohn,

I have a friend who is ex military and he says that we may be able to take advantage of the courses taught on base. Thank you for the suggestion.
You're welcome. Roverhi had a great suggestion too. A member of Kaneohe Yacht Club used to invite crew from all over the island back in the 80s and that's how my wife learned to sail.
Old 24-04-2015, 14:32   #7

Aloha Steady,

Thank you very much for the suggestions and tips. I've already began my education. Currently, I'm learning from "Learn How to Sail with Penny Whiting" an instructional video.

I'll see about getting a copies of the books you recommended. I currently work in the IT industry and I'm used to reading and learning from books, but I've also been looking into sailing lessons. I found that the Honolulu Sailing Company offers lessons. I talked with them yesterday and the man I spoke with said the most economical option is a week long educational cruise. I'm seriously considering that, but it really eats into my budget.

I'm also learning some knots. I've got the bowline down, and I was already familar with the reef (square) knot from boy scouts. Next, I'm looking at learning the clove hitch.

Mahalo nui,
Lakona
Old 24-04-2015, 15:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Go over to the Kaneohe yacht club and post a 'crew available' on their bulletin board. If you don't mind going over the Pali, do the same at the Hawaii and Waikiki Yacht Clubs. Always racers looking for crew. Crew who'll show up regularly for races are in great demand.
Aloha roverhi,

My plan today was actually to go hangout down by the marina. I'm glad I received your post beforehand so that I can follow your suggestion.

Mahalo,
Lakona
Old 24-04-2015, 19:08   #9

Friday night races might already be starting at Hawaii and Waikiki Yacht Club. Every week they've got something going on. See if you can catch a ride.
Old 27-04-2015, 14:14   #10

Boat: Tartan T4400

Waikiki Yacht has a Cal 20 program for members. Boats are available to rent.
Gudgeon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 15:23   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudgeon View Post
Waikiki Yacht has a Cal 20 program for members. Boats are available to rent.
Gudgeon, thank you for the information. I checked out Waikiki Yacht Club's sailing instruction. They have classes that cost $25 - $35 per hour. Could you tell me about how long a good instructional session lasts?

Thanks again,
Old 28-04-2015, 11:42   #12

Boat: Tartan T4400

Not sure how long a good session is. I think it would depend on your experience and what knowledge level you are bring with you.
If Guy is teaching the class he is a very good instructor. I know this fleet is doing well at the club and they are trying to expand some more.
Gudgeon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
oahu