Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2012, 02:38   #16

Re: Is there a way to try it?

Wow I just came of mission and there are a lot of you out there! Thank you guys so much for the help this far. Sailors dont seem to be as snooty as people have said. You guys are great!

One question about this TWIC card. Im getting that it is like a Concealed Carry Permit. or like a Paddy cert that tells people that your qualified/trustable. If I owned my own boat and wanted to live on it, sailing form Seattle to the Caribbean lets say. Would I need one of those to be legal? What other permits and things do I need to look at?

Thanks again to all of you this far!
SoldierBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 03:48   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, SoldierBoy, and Flyerdude.

See the Crew Forums:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...refixid=Wanted
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f30/?prefixid=Availabl

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 03:57   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaarch View Post
some years ago i turned down an invitation to take a big boat up the coast. the owner was looking to my knowledge over his and htat just didn't seem right.
That kinda chimes in with more than a few crew wanted ads I have seen online over the years (including on CF ) - where the Owner appears to be asking for someone with so much experiance that they would be more than qualified to Skipper pretty much anything going anywhere - which to my mind does scream out that the "Skipper" is not so much looking for crew but for someone to make up for his lack of knowledge - except not being willing to admit that nor give up his position of control (or peaked hat? ).....IMO not an ideal position to be in a long way from shore, if the doodah hits the fan.

But back to OP, I had never heard of a TWIC card, certainly don't need one to arrive in places internationally (passport, boat docs (if own boat) and VISA where required - each country has own rules, check before arriving!). Whether you need any paperwork to legally leave the US I don't know (you guys seem to have a lot of rules to keep ya all free ). Having said that, any comfort you can give to others onboard that you are not an axe murderer is always nice (whether a TWIC card, by letting folks hold a copy of your passport (ashore!) or simply from appearing vaguely sane ), in practice a lot of trust and judgement (by both parties!) is required. Folks tend to be a bit more willing to trust when cash is offered........

I would say that best practice would be having someone onboard for at least a few days and a few daysails to see if everyone is compatible, and that mostly a personality issue rather than a skills test. and that for the benefit of both parties!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 04:48   #19

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

There are several websites where you can see boats looking for crew, frequently inexperienced crew, especially crew capable of carrying their own weight financially so to speak. Lots of long passage boats looking for paying guest who definitely help sail the boat. The Danish Ocean Cruising Associationruns a crew site where they will put you in touch with skippers around the world, so you can sign on for a passage. They have policy that the boats they facilitate for cannot charge more than 30 bucks per day and that must include both the passage and food. Booze etc. Are your own expense. Lots of boats here, great way to meet others with the same dreams as yourself. And you'll learn how to sail.

I just looked at their website and I don't see a button for english.

PM me with your e-mail and I can put you in touch with their chairman. He speaks ennglish and I know him personally.

Good sailing!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 04:59   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

SoldierBoy, Your conversation here could be just as productive as you conversation at a marina with hopes for a sail and some experience. Where will you be located when you are taking on this task of learning about sailing and livingaboard?
Old 16-12-2012, 08:53   #21

I am living in Germany "southern and landlocked" When I come back from Afganistan I have a trip to Belize planed and I am going sailing for the first time there. I hope to get back to Seattle in the next year or two and that is when I expect to have good acess to boats.
Old 16-12-2012, 09:08   #22

... (you guys seem to have a lot of rules to keep ya all free ) ...

I may be a Soldier but I am defiantly not the typical American that thinks I live in the BEST country in the world "I do however believe it could be" Part of the reason I am interested in this is it gives me good access to the Social Liberal Countries like Denmark, Norway, Australia social med... good schools... low crime..... But this is a forum for sailing not politics
However, that remindes me what size of boat would I need to make those kind of passages. I was reading other threads and the range is 24-55FT that seems like a big spread to me. I can imagion if driving a 2 and a half T truck vs a geo metro is night and day the same applies to boats right?
Old 16-12-2012, 09:09   #23

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Try this when you get back in country:

Seattle's Community Boating Center
www.sailsandpoint.org/
Sail Sand Point is Top Nine! Sail Sand Point was named as one of the nine US Sailing Sanctioned Community Sailing Centers! That just demonstrates what we ...
2 Google reviews
7777 62nd Ave NE #101 Seattle, WA 98115
(206) 525-8782
Old 16-12-2012, 09:26   #24

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierBoy View Post
... However, that remindes me what size of boat would I need to make those kind of passages. I was reading other threads and the range is 24-55FT that seems like a big spread to me. I can imagion if driving a 2 and a half T truck vs a geo metro is night and day the same applies to boats right?[/FONT][/COLOR]
For a couple something 30'ish is perfect. Some do prefer bigger boats but the bigger the boat the bigger the problems too.
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 09:42   #25

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

When you are very young, you can sleep practically anywhere! I used to sleep in a hammock above a chartered sailboat's deck; it was very comfortable, as long as it didn't rain. As you get older and you attempt ocean cruising, your bones will need more cushioning and "recreational" space; only found in sailboats ranging 35'-40', or bigger. Whichever boat you pick, it is imperative that your keel never exceeds 5 ft; preferably less. Enjoy!
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 10:17   #26

SoldierBoy - Greetings from Canada!

Your dream is achievable, and some sailing experience piled on top of your life experience to date would make you welcome as crew, I'm sure.

I do agree with other posters that before you sell up and go to sea, you should acquire as much sailing experience as reasonably possible. This is as much to confirm that you've made the right choice as it is to acquire knowledge and practical skill.

If I were in your combat boots, I would consider blocking out the first few months of retirement to attend one of the offshore sailing schools, possibly in an exotic location. (look for the ads in the back of any recent SAIL magazine, for example). If you're really ambitious you could even add some professional certifications. Your dream could also be your new career.

If you're really meant to be on the water, you'll feel that any day on the water is a good day, and that getting there (training, sailing with new friends, getting coastal cruising experience, etc) will be as enjoyable as finally casting off on that big adventure.

Best wishes, stay safe, and may you have a rich and rewarding new life as you follow this dream.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 10:49   #27

I can't believe that no one has mentioned Latitude38. If you want great information and stories on sailing then go to their web site or read their paper which is a free publication at the West Coast marinas. I live in Sacramento, CA., don't have a boat, did have enough experience to sail a boat to get from a to b, (my point of view, not my wifes though), but no real day sailing. I went to the "Crew" pages and signed myself up for day sailing. I ended up going out on 4 different boats, numerous times in the San Francisco Bay area, all were great people. They taught me alot, especially where not to sail during low tide! They have different sections for owners looking for crew, crew looking for owners, day sailing, cruising, etc. Look at this place first. I would save your money to buy decent sailing gloves, wind breaker, wine for the sail etc. than sailing classes and a twic.
I now work in the Houston area and am disappointed that I cannot find an equivalent magazine/paper in this area. If someone knows of a similar publication from this area or the East coast, then please let me know. Thanks.
A future wannabe cruiser.
vicbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 10:53   #28

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierBoy View Post
So the story goes... I have never sailed and have been limmited to bass boats, a few ferries in Seattle and one cargo ship when my unit came back from Hurricane Katrina. I am however, in love with the sea. I will retire from the Army in a few years and be 37 with about a 3k a month pension. I plan to sell my home and everything to buy a liveabord cruiser. I was wondering if there is a way to hitch a ride with a couple that lives on a boat and sails where the wind takes them. "I would pay for the ride." Is it done? It sounds to me like asking somone I dont know to put me on there couch while they sail it around the world. I was looking for charters but I cant handle a boat and I dont want to be on a small "Cruise Ship" with staff that does everything while I eat steak... I just want to experiance that lifestyle befoure I commit without knowing well... anything about it. I have planned sailing school but There are things that jumping on a small boat that teaches people to sail on a day trip wont convey about the lifestyle I am looking for. Any pointers beyond Sailing for Dummies would be fantastic! Thank you
Hi SoldierBoy welcome to CF. I would look at one of the RYA fastrack to Yachtmaster courses. These are a hands on course covering everything and at the same time you get to live on board. You will learn the correct way to do things and end up with a certificate that has considerable merit, which could help you in getting insurance when you do actually buy.

These courses are not available in the USA as far as I know but if you google RYA Fastrack courses - Ask.com Search you will get a whole selection of companies and locations offering these courses. Some exotic locations such as Thailand.

What it will not do is give you experience, that only comes from time at sea.

Many here will poo hoo this idea but I think it covers what you are trying to achieve and will teach you the navigation skills needed to cruise.

Good luck in whichever way you choose to go.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 11:15   #29

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

MWR of any service will let you take lessons with them when they are offered. You might have a military marina close enough to get you started. It's the best way for an introduction. Then, after you've had a lesson or two then you have experience to offer as a crewmember.
Where are you located?
Good luck.
kind regards,
Old 16-12-2012, 11:40   #30

Boat: P30

David Old Jersey:
yes you are correct. The owner is an acquaintance and fully acknowledged his lack of experience. He was interested in learning and having me aboard as a friend.
Still i did not think it wise.
In this case it was a series of factors.
Big Boat which i had no experience with.
Big Boat new to an owner - with no sailing experience.
Non cohesive crew (imo)
at the time i was clearly not qualified to run this boat, had never made an offshore passage....nor was anyone else.....
....and not a warm fuzzy feeling.

somewhere midway into it, crew apparently fell apart. i received a phone call and an offer of a plane ticket to join the boat....declined again.

to the owners credit: he sailed this boat far and had the time of his life. bought a bigger boat and sailed it back. I was (and still am) amazed at his accomplishment.
there's a lesson in here.