Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 16:18   #76

Re: Is My Dream Possible?

Monte and boatman, thanks for your advice concerning a place to adopt as a home base!
Old 03-08-2013, 16:23   #77

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Glaucus! I recommend Genova (Genoa) as your home based port. The cost of living, in back alleys stores and markets, is acceptable/moderate. Good luck!

Mauritz
Old 03-08-2013, 16:27   #78
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is My Dream Possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaucus View Post
The goal is different, though. The goal of Christianity is to convert the individual, whereas the goal of Islam is to convert the State.
Tell that to Hawaii and Polynesia, Celtic Britain, Portugal, Spain.... and a few other places...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 03-08-2013, 16:32   #79
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
The goal is different, though. The goal of Christianity is to convert the individual, whereas the goal of Islam is to convert the State.

It's just not that simple. Islam wants to convert the individual. Some Muslims see government and religion as inseparable, but they are not the only group that sees it that way. It's only been recently that Christianity and most Western governments were separated.

The peoples of countries with large Muslim populations will have to sort it out. We do not have to worry about Islam becoming our national religion.
Old 03-08-2013, 16:40   #80
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
It's just not that simple. Islam wants to convert the individual. Some Muslims see government and religion as inseparable, but they are not the only group that sees it that way. It's only been recently that Christianity and most Western governments were separated.

The peoples of countries with large Muslim populations will have to sort it out. We do not have to worry about Islam becoming our national religion.
Yup... gotta allow for the fact that they started a lot later than the Water Walkers... still in the equivalent of our Middle Ages...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 03-08-2013, 16:57   #81

...and you want fries...errr...falafel (ta'ameyah) with that?...

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 03-08-2013, 16:57   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hiya Glaucus! I recommend Genova (Genoa) as your home based port. The cost of living, in back alleys stores and markets, is acceptable/moderate. Good luck!

Mauritz
Thanks, Mauritz. They have nice girls too, which is always worthy of being taken into account.
Old 03-08-2013, 17:04   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

Yes, you are being historically accurate, but from a theological standpoint Christianity and Islam differ greatly regarding this topic. Jesus advocated for a secular state (give Caesar what belongs to Caesar), whereas Muhammad transformed the Arab peninsula into a theocracy.

I hope you are right about what you said in your last paragraph.
Old 03-08-2013, 17:14   #84
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes, you are being historically accurate, but from a theological standpoint Christianity and Islam differ greatly regarding this topic. Jesus advocated for a secular state (give Caesar what belongs to Caesar), whereas Muhammad transformed the Arab peninsula into a theocracy.

What Jesus advocated... and what the Holy Roman Empire created and did are two entirely different things... and the 'Roman Way' still rules... try looking at it from the 'Outside'...
Sorry Mods... but this does have to do with sailing as some cruisers are gonna hit shores where Islam is the majority... and a little understanding and respect goes a long way...
As they've said for centuries... When in Rome'...

Old 03-08-2013, 17:22   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
What Jesus advocated... and what the Holy Roman Empire created and did are two entirely different things... and the 'Roman Way' still rules... try looking at it from the 'Outside'...
Sorry Mods... but this does have to do with sailing as some cruisers are gonna hit shores where Islam is the majority... and a little understanding and respect goes a long way...
As they've said for centuries... When in Rome'...
I agree with you: what Jesus preached and what the Roman Empire did are two different things.
Disagreements do not entail disrespect. I wouldn't disrespect Islam (specially in Islamic countries, since I value my own life ), despite the fact that I strongly disagree with its teachings.
Old 03-08-2013, 17:29   #86

...When in Rome, do as Romans do...wear a kilt...errr...a toga!; sorry, wrong uniform!

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 03-08-2013, 17:55   #87
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I agree with you: what Jesus preached and what the Roman Empire did are two different things.
Disagreements do not entail disrespect. I wouldn't disrespect Islam (specially in Islamic countries, since I value my own life ), despite the fact that I strongly disagree with its teachings.
I don't know... both origins have been twisted to suit the agendas of those who came after...
But... the divisions are the same as ours... Sunni and Shia... Catholic and Protestant.... with a few shades of extremism in between... and like us... they happily kill each other... where's the difference...
Lets leave it here... your stuck in the Christian view... and you'll not be changed.
Whereas as I while born Christian and baptised I was raised in an Islamic country that Buddha walked before Islam ruled... and I had Sikh, Jain, Parsee, Hindu etc... for friends of mine and the family.
Religion is like Politics... something folk are born into.... sometimes they think for themselves and maybe change...
You don't respect their religion... you fear the consequences of disrespecting it away from the safety of home... that's something else... and they know it... and that's the rub..
If you want to continue this move it to PM's... folk are likely getting bored by now...

Old 03-08-2013, 18:07   #88

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well, no Boatie,

I'm finding it quite interesting, although a digression in some ways.

Ann
Old 03-08-2013, 18:25   #89
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:

I'm not talking about what Jesus said. I'm talking about the many countries that forced Christianity as the national religion. You're talking theory; I' talking practice. It wasn't that long ago ...
Old 04-08-2013, 02:49   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I don't know... both origins have been twisted to suit the agendas of those who came after...
But... the divisions are the same as ours... Sunni and Shia... Catholic and Protestant.... with a few shades of extremism in between... and like us... they happily kill each other... where's the difference...
Lets leave it here... your stuck in the Christian view... and you'll not be changed.
Whereas as I while born Christian and baptised I was raised in an Islamic country that Buddha walked before Islam ruled... and I had Sikh, Jain, Parsee, Hindu etc... for friends of mine and the family.
Religion is like Politics... something folk are born into.... sometimes they think for themselves and maybe change...
You don't respect their religion... you fear the consequences of disrespecting it away from the safety of home... that's something else... and they know it... and that's the rub..
If you want to continue this move it to PM's... folk are likely getting bored by now...
I think I can understand your point of view. It has been a long digression, but in an interesting one, as Ann has said.
Closed Thread