Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 18:18   #46
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Is My Dream Possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaucus View Post
Amazing! I had no idea. I can't wait to see something like that.

Oh I left out the best part, living in florida ...

it's COOLER!
Old 03-08-2013, 04:17   #47

Boat: Skookum 53'

Once you get offshore out of range of city lights, and you are sitting on the deck in the whisper quiet of sailing, looking up at all the stars it is like nothing else. I have seen the rings on Saturn, and moons of Jupiter, I am truly awestruck, a term I would not be familiar with before going to sea.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:25   #48
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is My Dream Possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Once you get offshore out of range of city lights, and you are sitting on the deck in the whisper quiet of sailing, looking up at all the stars it is like nothing else. I have seen the rings on Saturn, and moons of Jupiter, I am truly awestruck, a term I would not be familiar with before going to sea.
Yup... its magnificent...
Go out into the country at night and its a black canvas sprinkled with a bit off sparkly fairy dust... get well offshore and its the reverse.. the space station looks like Bart Simpson (to me anyway) you'll see satellites and much more moving around up there...
May even start believing in Aliens...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:53   #49

Once I spent the night on the beach. There were no villages around and no electricity either. I could see millions of stars strewn all over the sky. I am sure it must be even better out there in the sea.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:25   #50

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Glaucus! Since you'll be cruising the Mediterranean, you'll need to learn a little bit about each Arab country's social norms, and the Muslim religion; what NOT to discuss or say. It would help if you know a few greetings phrases in Arabic. Bring yourself, to at least reading simple Arabic words/signs/numbers. In the long run, it will help you in negotiating whatever you will want when visiting the northern African coast. I am of Italian background and have spent my teen years in Egypt; I am fluent in Arabic. Your dream is doable, just take your time to master your seamanship skills. Life at sea is not forgiving. In third-world countries, you'll be perceived as a rich kid and as fair game to take advantage of. Keep us posted on your progress! Good luck!

Mauritz
Old 03-08-2013, 06:30   #51
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Bring yourself, to at least reading simple Arabic words/signs/numbers.
Yup and easy for folks to assume that the Arabs use what we term Arabic Numbers - they don't (they only came to us via the Arabs (from India) - but we didn't know that at the time we named them ).
Old 03-08-2013, 07:19   #52

One voyage south bound the east coast of Africa, on the way to Somalia, the water was so calm I could see the reflection of the stars on the ocean. And every night I would watch the constellations rise up on the horizon on their nightly march across the sky, it was easy to see how the stories got made up about them. On the west coast of the USA sailing south, I witnessed the luminescent trails of the dolphins that came to play along our bow, it was a wonderful light show that lasted for hours. One move they did was to disappear and I couldn't figure out how they did it, until daylight, I saw them turn 90* and swim straight down. I even wrote a poem about it.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:44   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hiya Glaucus! Since you'll be cruising the Mediterranean, you'll need to learn a little bit about each Arab country's social norms, and the Muslim religion; what NOT to discuss or say. It would help if you know a few greetings phrases in Arabic. Bring yourself, to at least reading simple Arabic words/signs/numbers. In the long run, it will help you in negotiating whatever you will want when visiting the northern African coast. I am of Italian background and have spent my teen years in Egypt; I am fluent in Arabic. Your dream is doable, just take your time to master your seamanship skills. Life at sea is not forgiving. In third-world countries, you'll be perceived as a rich kid and as fair game to take advantage of. Keep us posted on your progress! Good luck!

Mauritz
Thanks. That's a helpful suggestion. I know a bit about Islam because I have some Muslim workmates with whom I used to speak about religion quite a lot (I am a Christian). Are you a Christian? I heard that Christians had (and have) a really tough life in Egypt. Is it true?
Old 03-08-2013, 11:48   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
One voyage south bound the east coast of Africa, on the way to Somalia, the water was so calm I could see the reflection of the stars on the ocean. And every night I would watch the constellations rise up on the horizon on their nightly march across the sky, it was easy to see how the stories got made up about them. On the west coast of the USA sailing south, I witnessed the luminescent trails of the dolphins that came to play along our bow, it was a wonderful light show that lasted for hours. One move they did was to disappear and I couldn't figure out how they did it, until daylight, I saw them turn 90* and swim straight down. I even wrote a poem about it.
Isn't the coast of Somalia full of pirates? Do they attack sailing vessels to or only oil tankers?
Old 03-08-2013, 11:51   #55

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

I am a "Libre penseur" (French for "a free thinker"), with no religious ties. I respect everyone's beliefs, and I subscribe to "live and let live"; with a very liberal point of view.

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 03-08-2013, 12:21   #56

I was going into Mogadishu, and this was before the unpleasantness with the pirates, I was on an MSC ship bringing in food for the military, while the US Navy was standing watch near shore.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:23   #57

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
I lived in Egypt prior to Mubarak being ousted. In the markets and on the streets a foreigner could be swamped by beggars and vendors. On the whole though I loved my time there. Much better than any other Arabic country I traveled.

Times were hard for the average man then. I know nothing of conditions now other than news reports.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:31   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
I lived in Egypt prior to Mubarak being ousted. In the markets and on the streets a foreigner could be swamped by beggars and vendors. On the whole though I loved my time there. Much better than any other Arabic country I traveled.

Times were hard for the average man then. I know nothing of conditions now other than news reports.
Apparently, lots of Russians go there on vacations. Perhaps things will change in the Muslim Brotherhood is no longer in power, but that won't be easy given the large amount of people who support the MB. It's a pity, since the country has so much history and beauty.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:42   #59
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is My Dream Possible?

I don't think the blame lies with the Muslim Brotherhood... they just want their man to serve the term.....
I feel its more with the man who was elected... turned out to be more or less another chip off the same old block... and a budding Mubarak... and that was not what the majority had voted for.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 03-08-2013, 13:48   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I don't think the blame lies with the Muslim Brotherhood... they just want their man to serve the term.....
I feel its more with the man who was elected... turned out to be more or less another chip off the same old block... and a budding Mubarak... and that was not what the majority had voted for.
I am quite wary when it comes to the Muslim Brotherhood because they are active in promoting the spread of Sharia law, and not only within the confines of Egypt. It would be great if they end up being a fully democratic, fully secular party. However, this might be nothing but wishful thinking, since the goals of the MB are as radical as they were in the 70's and 80's.
Closed Thread