Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 03:18   #91

Re: Is My Dream Possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I'm not talking about what Jesus said. I'm talking about the many countries that forced Christianity as the national religion. You're talking theory; I' talking practice. It wasn't that long ago ...
I see what you mean. However, I believe that our worldview influences our attitude towards others and towards ourselves. Hence, worldviews are not trivial. I don't subscribe to the idea, very popular nowadays, that all worldviews are inherently one and the same, and that they are all equally able to protect and promote the most essential human rights. Truth should not be sacrificed for the benefit of peaceful cohabitation, especially if peaceful cohabitation has been proven to be an utopia when dealing with certain ideological groups.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:29   #92
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaucus View Post
I see what you mean. However, I believe that our worldview influences our attitude towards others and towards ourselves. Hence, worldviews are not trivial. I don't subscribe to the idea, very popular nowadays, that all worldviews are inherently one and the same, and that they are all equally able to protect and promote the most essential human rights. Truth should not be sacrificed for the benefit of peaceful cohabitation, especially if peaceful cohabitation has been proven to be an utopia when dealing with certain ideological groups.
There are no human rights - there are only rights we give each other, with the quid pro quo that they are reciprocated. No one is born with any rights (nor do they come from your sky fairy, Santa or the Easter Bunny ), they are fought for by people, intellectually or physically as part of societal evolution.......if that wasn't the case we would all still be sitting on hard pews of a Sunday listening to a fella in a dress casting spells in latin, before kneeling in awe of a re-branded Zeus and the Indian story of a fella who woke up from the dead.....before returning to live in a mud hut.

To be fair, the Romans were really good at making up religions - they had enough practice!, as was one of their ways of assimilating different peoples and cultures. Like the Borg!.....just a puzzle that so many folks still cling onto that nonsense. The good news is that they are clearly on the wrong side of history numbers wise - at least when societies do advance beyond the Middle, Dark or Bronze Ages (pick yer religion - no names ).
Old 04-08-2013, 11:36   #93
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:

That's nice, but I didn't say any of those things, so I'm not sure who you're preaching to.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:43   #94

For an impartial account of the subject matter being discussed read 'The Source' by James Michener.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:52   #95

Yes it is.

Read these two books for lots of good information.

John Vigor Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat - Review of Vigor's The Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat

Amazon.com: Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere (9780939837328): John Vigor: Books

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
Old 04-08-2013, 12:10   #96
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
For an impartial account of the subject matter being discussed read 'The Source' by James Michener.

Outstanding book by a man with a true world view.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:28   #97

I say go for it. I just recently (10 months ago) took my first sailing class and I loved it so much I bought a 32" Eldrige McKinnis. I live in Arizona and travel to California each month for 5-7 days to sail, sail, sail. I am in the Channel Islands which presents many sailing challenges, but I singlehand and have found myself in 10 foot seas with winds 25-30 kts. I met a guy that bought a beautiful boat, spent an incredible amount of money on it and then started to sail. He quickly found out the heavy weather was not for him and now has a pig in the poke to try and unload his investment. My thought is take a few courses, decide what it is you like and need for sailing and then start you search. If this is your passion, you will not regret it, if it is your passing interest (once you spend some time sailing) it could be a very very big mistake. I jumped in both feet and am not sorry, but my friend spent around $200,000 USD to find out it wasnn't for him. Good luck and keep the wind in your sails.
Old 04-08-2013, 14:42   #98

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2013, 14:54   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
There are no human rights - there are only rights we give each other, with the quid pro quo that they are reciprocated. No one is born with any rights (nor do they come from your sky fairy, Santa or the Easter Bunny ), they are fought for by people, intellectually or physically as part of societal evolution.......if that wasn't the case we would all still be sitting on hard pews of a Sunday listening to a fella in a dress casting spells in latin, before kneeling in awe of a re-branded Zeus and the Indian story of a fella who woke up from the dead.....before returning to live in a mud hut.

To be fair, the Romans were really good at making up religions - they had enough practice!, as was one of their ways of assimilating different peoples and cultures. Like the Borg!.....just a puzzle that so many folks still cling onto that nonsense. The good news is that they are clearly on the wrong side of history numbers wise - at least when societies do advance beyond the Middle, Dark or Bronze Ages (pick yer religion - no names ).
If there's no such a thing as human rights, then you can do whatever you want to another human being as long as you can get away with it. A society based on those premises is a tyranny. I am sure that offshore it is not so difficult for someone to fall overboard. So, if that's the case, what precludes you from throwing someone you don't like to the sea? After all, he doesn't have any inherent right to live apart from that which is given to him by the society, which in this case is the crew of his boat. Likewise, what precludes you from stealing from other boats while on blue waters? The law is not going to punish you if you get rid of the evidence.
Old 04-08-2013, 14:56   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by doft View Post
I say go for it. I just recently (10 months ago) took my first sailing class and I loved it so much I bought a 32" Eldrige McKinnis. I live in Arizona and travel to California each month for 5-7 days to sail, sail, sail. I am in the Channel Islands which presents many sailing challenges, but I singlehand and have found myself in 10 foot seas with winds 25-30 kts. I met a guy that bought a beautiful boat, spent an incredible amount of money on it and then started to sail. He quickly found out the heavy weather was not for him and now has a pig in the poke to try and unload his investment. My thought is take a few courses, decide what it is you like and need for sailing and then start you search. If this is your passion, you will not regret it, if it is your passing interest (once you spend some time sailing) it could be a very very big mistake. I jumped in both feet and am not sorry, but my friend spent around $200,000 USD to find out it wasnn't for him. Good luck and keep the wind in your sails.
That's a really good advice. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-08-2013, 14:57   #101

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Cannot do any debauchery...before washing the dishes, first!

Mauritz
Laugh and the world will laugh with you...
Old 04-08-2013, 15:10   #102
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is My Dream Possible?

Quote:
If there's no such a thing as human rights, then you can do whatever you want to another human being as long as you can get away with it. A society based on those premises is a tyranny. I am sure that offshore it is not so difficult for someone to fall overboard. So, if that's the case, what precludes you from throwing someone you don't like to the sea? After all, he doesn't have any inherent right to live apart from that which is given to him by the society, which in this case is the crew of his boat. Likewise, what precludes you from stealing from other boats while on blue waters? The law is not going to punish you if you get rid of the evidence.
I was tempted... but he owed me money...
But on a more serious note... a guy did just that on boats he crewed on... had acquired 3 boats before he was caught

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 04-08-2013, 15:29   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I was tempted... but he owed me money...
But on a more serious note... a guy did just that on boats he crewed on... had acquired 3 boats before he was caught
LOL. I guess that at sea you can get away with it much easier than on land. I wonder how many wives and husbands have fallen overboard and never been recovered. Perhaps we'll never know.
Old 04-08-2013, 17:18   #104

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
(...) Truth should not be sacrificed for the benefit of peaceful cohabitation, especially if peaceful cohabitation has been proven to be an utopia when dealing with certain ideological groups.
Unfortunately, the same opening sentence may be uttered by members of what you call certain ideological groups (I call them religions, as I tend to call a spade a spade).

Hence twin towers, Madrid metro, London buses and Boston marathon. They all refused to sacrifice the truth.

b.
Old 07-08-2013, 17:42   #105

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
There are no human rights -
You have two.

1. The right to die.

2. The right to live till you die.

No one can take that away from you. Any other "rights" can be "restricted".