Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2019, 04:35   #1

Boat: Pearson 424
insurance while cruising carribean islands

who has insurance ? its an older boat Pearson 424 1981 do countries require it ?
would love to see a poll ? liability only ?
shadowdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 05:01   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: insurance while cruising carribean islands

I am unaware of any country that demands boaters have insurance, but apparently some marinas do. I’ve yet to encounter this as a transient.

The only time I’ve had to show proof of insurance was for haul out at my ‘home’ marina (extended stay). But there are reports from CF members along the US east coast that even transients must show proof of insurance.

I conducted an insurance survey using CF and Sailnet members a couple of years ago. Here’s a link to the reports:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2868164

The topic comes up here fairly regularly, which is why I wanted to run the survey. It’s getting rather old now, so should probably be done again. And it doesn’t specifically address your Carribean question, but hopefully will be of some use.
Old 26-04-2019, 06:01   #3

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowdancer View Post
who has insurance ? its an older boat Pearson 424 1981 do countries require it ?
would love to see a poll ? liability only ?
You probably won't even find any company willing to inspire you for anything other then liability.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 08:58   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Mexico requires a Mexican liability policy - easily obtainable. As noted above, not many countries require insurance, but many marinas do.
Old 26-04-2019, 15:00   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Mexico requires a Mexican liability policy - easily obtainable. As noted above, not many countries require insurance, but many marinas do.
Thanks Paul. Good to know .

Do they check this as part of the clearing in process? Or do marinas somehow report it?
Old 26-04-2019, 17:58   #6

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Thanks Paul. Good to know .

Do they check this as part of the clearing in process? Or do marinas somehow report it?
Probably depends on which port you enter. They checked ours on clearance at Ensenada. If you search online for the HaHaha Mexico first timers guide you should get good info.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 18:50   #7

Boat: Passport 40

The mexican liability thing is an absurd thing that somebody made up in the baja area. It is not written in any law that it needs to be a specific MEXCIAN liability insurance plan, it just makes no sense whatsoever. There's a few companies making a buck of this ... sounds fishy as hell (eg Novamar). The law does not say ANYTHING about where that liability policy is purchased, resides or operates.

http://www.diputados.gob.mx/LeyesBib...NCM_191216.pdf

It's just more sistemic corruption with some private companies on the take. Challenge it, if you already have a third party insurance that covers you. Only this way this stupidity shall stop.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 09:14   #8

third-party-insurance for french islands
lazydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 10:38   #9

Boat: Taswell 43

If you plan to check into a marina here in the NE Caribb, you need insurance. But getting a policy at anywhere near a reasonable rate can be a trick! It depends on where you plan to keep the boat during the hurricane season. If you're out of the box-not a problem. But if you want to "summer over" up on the hard someplace north of Grenada, or maybe Trinidad, that's a different deal. All you can do is call around, talk to every insurance broker you can find, and see what they come back with. For us, a 1989 Taswell 43 who had been covered continuously since we hit the Medd in 2011...this year was tough...after Irma and Maria! We finally found a policy I was willing to accept, but we got turned down alot, and had lots of quotes for 2x-3x what we'd paid the previous year.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 10:43   #10

I should have also noted-the past 5 years we have "summered over" on the hard, strapped down to 2 massive buried concrete beams, on jack stands chained together, in a fenced and patrolled (7/24) yard well higher and about 300yards removed from the bay and behind mangroves, in Fajardo, Puerto Rico. We road thru Irma and Maria, and only lost the windex on our masthead.
Old 28-04-2019, 08:06   #11

Boat: Pearson 424

I have boat US they declined to write me a quote for going to Mexico, belize and that area. I had a 100 ton coast guard lic but let it lapse when I moved to New Mexico 10 years ago , however I'm back, they have no problem with me going to the Bahamas . what other companies write policies for cruisers ???
shadowdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 10:52   #12

Boat: 1982 Valiant 47

I know there is a person who is helping cruisers with insurance questions and providing quotes. I’m pretty sure she could probably steer you in the right direction. She has helped us in the past. Laura@legacyunderwriters.com
ChaseTheFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 11:30   #13

Informative website. Provides basic guidance as to scope and types of insurance.

https://www.chubb.com/us-en/individu...insurance.aspx
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 15:01   #14

As a side note, although the OP is referring to liability insurance, many countries now require proof of medical insurance.
NPCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 16:56   #15

FWIW, we have used Blue Water Insurance, Jupiter, Fla for the past several years. We've never had a claim, so I can not attest to how that side works. But they have found us the kind of policy we wanted, and at the best or nearly the best premium we've been able to find. Just so you know, they will (likely) require a survey. The policy we've got/had for our (now) 30-yr old Taiwan-made Taswell 43 includes hull , med, dinghy+ O/B, pers effects, uninsured boater, umbrella liability, and named storm. If you do contact them, stay on top of them! They are not always the most responsive folks on the planet!

Tags
cruising, insurance, rib